• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your putting tempo?

Your putting tempo?

• 60 bpm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 66 bpm

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 72 bpm

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 78 bpm

• 84 bpm

• 90 bpm

• 96 bpm

• 102 bpm

• 108 bpm

• Who cares?

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kow_ciller

Master of the 3-putt
Mar 3, 2005
I took a 9 on a par 5 once. Windy day, tho. And some water helped.

I also took a 7 on a par 3 last year. That was my worst hole ever I think.

R35

7 on a par 3.. I've gotten an 11 on a par 3,and it didn't involve any lost balls either on the hole. Now THATS bad.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
It's a landslide! Quick, everyone pile on!

:D

I'm serious here, guys. I'm only trying to help you guys out. But that's OK.
Sniff, sniff.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
i dont think that by thinking about stuff like this, especially when put into numbers can possibly help your putting. If you were to think on the practice green about a slower or faster tempo, maybe that could help, but when you begin to involve numbers in my opinion it woudl only hurt you putting by giving you way too much to think about.

Oh, i voted who cares in case that did get the message across...

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I cant bring myself to even find out. TBH im interested now that you mention it, but i dont wana mess with a good thing.

When my putting goes bad ill try it out for you doc:D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
7 on a par 3.. I've gotten an 11 on a par 3,and it didn't involve any lost balls either on the hole. Now THATS bad.

I didn't lose a ball either.

Here's the play by play. Ridiculous...

Topped tee shot with a 7 wood. Yes, a 7 wood. Nice contact on that one.
No yardage on the second shot. "I'm probably a, what, 5 iron out?" In the trees over the green.
Chip out of the trees, then stub a chip to the green. So i'm shooting 5. Chip the next shot about 25 feet past and snuggle the first putt up to 8" for a 7.

Lovely.

R35

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
I have no idea what numbers would be

involved in my tempo. I do think having a pendulum motion and tempo is the way to go. I like the straight back-straight through stroke with the eyes right over the ball. The arms are hanging just about straight down from the shoulders. The grip is light but the angles in the wrists do not change. Power is determined by how far the putterhead comes back, The putter head comes back and through by a rocking of the arms. I keep the putterhead low going back and through contact, but it eventually comes up after a follow through that is still on line and that is always somewhat longer than the back stroke. This prevents de-acceleration which makes it difficult to keep the putter face square to the line.

With this stroke, your body and the putter have become a pendulum-like device. A one-two, or tick-tock tempo works just fine whatever number that happens to be. By keeping the tempo the same regardless of the length of the putt, you now have something constant rather than another thing that is constantly varying making consistency difficult to achieve.

Many on the forum stress FEEL, and I am with you 100%. I also am certain that if your putting stroke is consistent mechanically, you have yourself a short cut to that all-important FEEL. That is true of all shots from drives to putts and everything in between. You need a repetitive swing that results in consistently good contact. You CANNOT develop FEEL unless you have consistently good contact and like it or not that involves good mechanics and consistent tempo, even with putts. Ever miss short putts? Try this: Line the putter face square to the ball on the target line. Say ONE-TWO and then without hessitation stroke that ball with the same ONE-TWO still in your mind. It will go in. (unless you choke!)

Sincerely, Cypressperch

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
Concerning what I just posted about

putting, it should have said a "rocking of the shoulders" rather than "of the arms."

Also, even though the wrists are fixed, since you are holding the grip fairly loosely, the rocking of the shoulders will produce a certain amount of lag which is beneficial in developing touch or feel. Lag is a pretty good indicator that you are not overly tense and/or mechanical with your putts.

Sincerely again, Cypressperch

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Aha! Finally someone agrees that tempo is important in putting! Maybe no one except me cares enough to find out your inate putting tempo, but that's OK.

I don't putt "by the numbers", but I have noticed that a lot of the time when I putt crappy it's because my tempo got too quick.

Last night watching as much of the Hope as I could stand, I was struck by how ugly were the putting strokes of the amateurs, especially compared to the pros. The pros had a beautiful rythmic stroke, the ams jerked and twitched.

Rythym and tempo are the keys to good putting, I am convinced.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Aha! Finally someone agrees that tempo is important in putting! Maybe no one except me cares enough to find out your inate putting tempo, but that's OK.
Actually, I would definitely agree that tempo is important in putting, I just don't want to know what mine is, and feel, at least for me, it is much easier to control, manipulate and find a comfortable and consistent tempo than with a normal swing. I would also venture to guess based on the poll results that Cypress doesn't know his tempo time either ;)

It was not until I was flat out desperate and knew I had bad tempo with my normal swing that I sought out Tour Tempo, or even had a clue how to regulate my tempo.

I would only guess based on this thread that you have reached that point with your putting, and because you now have knowledge of how to monitor tempo, as well as the devices to use from your regular swing, it probably seemed like a first logical step to address putting issues. :) In that same sense I have grown away from fully using Tour Tempo, because my swing feels more natural now.

As I mentioned, I have also heard Pelz putting Bible may be the best putting book on the market, if not one of the best golf books, but I have no intention of ever reading the book. I would also venture to guess this step may in fact help your putting, if for no other reason it seems you have reached a point where you do not feel it could possibly hurt. I would guess the important part is getting back confidence more than anything else. If this just even eliminates tempo as one of the possible factors to think about as being the problem, you are on the right track.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
. I would guess the important part is getting back confidence more than anything else. If this just even eliminates tempo as one of the possible factors to think about as being the problem, you are on the right track.

If the weather cooperates, I'll find out in 2 days, when I play my first ever golf tournement!

Yes, sir! I'm gonna be out there in the pressure packed world of tournement golf! Where the men are men, and the sheep are scared! Or something like that. :D

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Why would anyone possibly care. I putt by feel, nothing else even figures into my mind. (well untill I read this thread)
This is just another reason I think Pelz is a hack. You cant assign a number to everything.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I pretty much refuse to listen to anyone on my putting technique, I am not messing with anything, this is just a way to screw you up and keep you coming back for the magic fix. Best bet is to practice your speed and alignments.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005

everyone agrees its important,its just not important putting a measure on it,as usual Pelz applies some science where he doesn't need it

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.