• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Quirk

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I eat 1 green apple sometime during the round.

I always have sunglasses. If I don't think I'll be taking them off, then I wear no hat. If I will be taking them off, then I wear one so I can put my glasses on backwards/upside down.

If I am away, I never mark my ball on the green and realign, I play it as is. I prefer no visible alignment from the ball when putting... I don't mind seeing the label, I just don't want it to act as an alignment.

I take a practice swing from the fairway but never on the tee.

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
I NEVER play WITHOUT a hat on. Another thing that I have recently been doing is closing my eyes before every shot when I'm behind the ball and take deep breaths. I have a horrible temper on the golf course, so it really helps me relax and stay in the moment. If I play before 1:30 PM then I will more than likely not eat anything.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
If I am away, I never mark my ball on the green and realign, I play it as is. I prefer no visible alignment from the ball when putting... I don't mind seeing the label, I just don't want it to act as an alignment.
I always mark my ball and clean -- can't putt a dirty ball. Also, I position it so that I only see white (with the old Pro V1, the seam was at a 45 degree angle).

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
i cant play with balls in my pocket, i can only have tees and a marker or two. Nothing in the front pocket during a shot but i put my glove in my front pocket during putts.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
I never take my glove off. I put it on at the first tee and take it off on the 18th green. Not sure why, just never liked taking it on and off all day.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Car keys, wallet and everything else in my pockets must go in the bag. Then tees, ball marker and glove go in right pocket and two balls (good ball and water ball) go in left pocket. Need my new Shottalk or Ping hats and I'm ready. And I also have the screw up the second shot after a good drive quirk. :D
That's not really a quirk, just a little Back @$$ed backwards.

Keys, watch, and anything in pocket goes in bag. I leave wallet, to much of a pain when drink cart comes. Then it is supposed to be 3 long tees and glove in left pocket while chipping and putting. Then a lighter, ball mark, divot repair tool, 3 short tees, one water ball with green line, one regular ball with purple line in right pocket. If you find a water ball it goes in the left pocket but will be very distracting if you forget to put it back in the bag before putting or the next tee shot.:laugh:

Coach

Krusher
Jul 19, 2006
So for me...
Always wear a matching hat to my golf attire.
Nothing in front left (*one exception, read on...) or rear left pockets.
2-3 tees, ball repair tool and coin in right front pocket. Ball in hand.
Scorecard, folded in half, right rear pocket.
*Chipping and putting puts the glove in the front left pocket, folded, until hole out, then on to the hand for the next tee shot.
Never add up my score until I finish 18 holes.
One black towel attached to my bag, my Shinnecock towel loose for greenside work.
Funny thing is, I never have to think about all this as it seems to get done automatically.
That's enough.

threefiveseven

the other lefty
May 20, 2007
My preshot routine has its quirks, but the is a whole other thread.

The only thing I can have in my pockets is an extra ball in my back right pocket.

I always take my time on the green cleaning the ball and aligning it properly.

I never play "1"s when I get a new set of balls.

I never wear hats, visors, etc.

I always remove my glove after each shot; and when chipping and putting.

I also find it a rule of etiquette to be out of a persons view when they are hitting.

If somebody says something to me during my pre shot routine, I usually start over.

Thats about it. Golf hasn't gotten as bad as motocross for me (I seem to be more superstitious then a witch on a full moon with that sport.), but it seems to be well on its way!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
If somebody says something to me during my pre shot routine, I usually start over.

That could be fun. You'd hate playing with me. I'd always be sayin' something to you if I knew that!

"Sure that's the club?"
"Little wind here"
"It's into the grain"

and so on.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Lots of guys bring two balls to the tee huh... says a little somethig about your confidence level ;)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Lots of guys bring two balls to the tee huh... says a little somethig about your confidence level ;)
I do it primarily because we play on a heavily wooded course and I ride in a cart. So my bag is not usually close by as I still try and walk quite a bit as well as up to greens that are again surrounded by woods. . So I would say it is more out of convenience for later shots and not the tee. I do not take mulligans, and a good majority of the time I play on our course they treat the woods as a lateral hazard or have drop areas.

So there have been quite a few times where I have had to walk a pretty good distance back to the cart and delay play because I did not have a ball handy.

So really the only time I re-tee is in the sense that I am taking a provisional should my ball be OB, which is really such a rare occurrence that it would not constitute carrying another ball.

I guess you would say it is as much out of respect for the people I play with so as not to be unprepared and take up time, than not having confidence in my tee shots. When I used to walk I would never carry an extra ball.

Another reason, which is just as likely the reason is that I try to play year round and would get in a habit of keeping a couple golf balls in my pocket as a matter of performance and keeping the warm in the winter months. Would actually do so prior to leaving the house for the course.

A third reason and the reason I carry two with different color stripes is that we quite a few holes where I use a water ball. This may actually be the main reason.

edit 1 - Actually pretty funny when I think about it, because it seems like about 95% of the time I need to re-tee, I never seem to have another ball handy. So maybe that extra ball in my pocket change the shift of the universe when I swing. :D

edit 2 - Actually, the idea of a water ball presents the same psychological edge you mention in carrying 2. Although that again is funny, because the water balls I carry are usually of higher quality than my normal ball. I also tend to never lose water balls when presented with a tougher shot. Almost makes me want to consider using water balls on normal holes, and normal on tougher holes to see what happens.

threefiveseven

the other lefty
May 20, 2007
That could be fun. You'd hate playing with me. I'd always be sayin' something to you if I knew that!

"Sure that's the club?"
"Little wind here"
"It's into the grain"

and so on.

Oh trust me, the guys I work with have a heyday with that one; they also seem to have no sense of golf etiquette at all however.

Their usual lines border more on the innapropriate side, but its all in good fun though! Sometimes you need to laugh at yourself a little bit out there.

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I always carry one extra ball in the right front pocket along with my divot tool/ball marker and a few tees, all other pockets are empty.

On the green I always mark and clean my ball, I tap the ball marker twice with the ball as a I pick it up. And I place the ball so I only see white, no marking of any kind.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
for me - the weirdest has to be NEVER walking between the tee markers from the front prior to teeing off. Just doesn't feel right to me!!

Other than that - always making sure i have my particular pitch mark repairer and a pocket full of tees. Can't play with a watch on at all. Wallet / phone / keys ALWAYS in the bag. Oh - and also never adding up until the round is complete.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.