• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Quirk

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've got my share....

1) I've used the same green repair divot tool for 15 years. It is attached by a chain to a groove cleaner. I take this out of my bag and put it in my left pocket before I leave the car. I won't start my pre-round practicing until I can feel it in my left pocket.

2) I also hate using undamaged tees on par 3 tee shots. We have little boxes on the tees with broken tees in them and I always hunt for a broken one.

3) I break a lot of tees, therefore after every tee shot, I look for my tee and hope it is undamaged. If it is, I always return it to my right pocket. I do this despite the fact that we are supplied with unlimited tees at no charge. I won't leave the teeing area without locating my tee, broken or not.

4) I use flat plastic ball markers. I won't start the round without at least two in my right pocket. Once again I do this despite the fact that we are supplied with unlimited markers at no charge.

5) HERE's are really weird one. Before addressing the ball to hit, I often will line myself up on the target line and then, step about six inches forward to take a practice swing. This means that when I take the practice swing(s) the ball is between the line of the clubhead and my shoes, not the other way around. After taking a couple of practice swings, I move back a few inches, address and hit. I have had tons of people comment on how odd this is but it helps me line up better. (has been a weakness for a long time).

6) I use a Woode system club organizer. Enough said...every club MUST go in its proper place.

7) I use clubhead covers meticulously and cover each fairway metal or hybrid after every shot.

8) I clean each pair of golf shoes after the 2nd round and spray water repellant after cleaning.

$2 Nassau

Jun 4, 2007
Nothing too strange I don't think.

-never have an extra ball in my pocket.
-left pocket usually empty, tees, markers, divot tool all in right pocket. Although while I'm waiting to putt, my ball goes in my left pocket.
-always use a broken tee for par 3's.

Irish

May 9, 2007
what is a water ball and why do people carry them....I'm assuming its a ball that people use to hit over water...surely you need to trust the swing and go with the normal ball

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
1) must wear hat to see the ball
2) tee belongs in left ear
3) pencil belongs in right ear
4) scorecard in left rear pocket (which I always think is stupid because I can't feel it as well with a gloved hand)
5) tees are not allowed in front pockets (too risky for the boys) - ball mark repair tool is allowed to be in right front pocket, but must be placed carefully with the tool end facing out towards the side
6) shirt must be tucked in (at least in the front) while putting - can be untucked while walking to next tee
7) woods and putter are not allowed in the bag without covers
8) balls can be carried in right rear pocket - no more than 2, usually completely different balls perhaps a distance ball and a spin ball, depending on how I'm playing (lately it's an e5 and a D2 feel)
9) can't decide what club to chip with until I get right up to the ball - carts make this difficult, as I wind up carrying AW, PW,9,8,7 irons + putter over to the ball
10)wallet, cell phone, keys must be away in the bag

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Not too many I guess.

Two tees in the right pocket. One long for driver and one short for everything else.

Ball in the right pocket.

Not picky about the ball marker. Lately it's been whatever coin I have in the bag. It also goes in the right pocket.

Divot tool and glove between shots in the left pocket. The glove comes off between shots and for putting. I wish I need the divot tool more often.

Each club has a place and I cover hybrids, woods and putter after each shot.

Ok I have more than I thought. :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
what is a water ball and why do people carry them....I'm assuming its a ball that people use to hit over water...surely you need to trust the swing and go with the normal ball
That made pretty good sense to me up until first time I played my current home course. In my case there is alot more to it than not wanting to waste a good golf ball or the money.

When I moved up here, I would usually lose 1 golf ball on a bad day around that time. I lost 9 the first time I played this course. As mentioned early, I lose less water balls than I do normal ones. This may be in large part because it is a better ball that I found on the course than what I am willing to spend. So I guess you could say that I feel I need the best ball I have in my bag to assure I stay out of trouble on the harder holes. Usually a Pro V1 or something of similar quality. It is really all a matter of money though. I don't spend a great deal on golf balls, so I guess the alternative would be to get rid of balls I find that normally run $40-50 a dozen for the sake of not wanting to play a water ball. If I were fortunate enough to find 4-5 Pro V1's or the like on every round I played, I would never buy golf balls. Although for the sake of having a similar feel around the greens, I usually use the same type of ball on the not so hard hole.

On this course, if you do not stay within about 10 yards of what is usually around a 20-30 yard wide fairway, or hit many target distances and over wetlands there is about a 90% chance your ball is lost. Where I used to play, I would simply find myself under or behind a tree or two or in another fairway, instead of in a tick infested wetland with 2-3 feet grass, or in a forest. Mental perspective is a nice thing to maintain, but so is the money you spend on golf balls. What do you think the fear of losing $3-4 on every shot would do to your game?

On certain days I may use a water ball on 1/2 the holes. I played today playing terrible. Lost 3 balls on the first 4 holes and had a 27 after 4. Simply terrible. Proceeded to play a water ball for the next 5 holes and was only 1 over on those including missing a eagle putt by 1 inch. After days like that it is very easy to cast aside any mental barrier involving water balls. I was just pissed that I lost that ball on 10. To me it provides more of a challenge and reminder that I need to be on my A game when I put one in play.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I've got some others, but I have a putting routine quirk I've so far not observed in any others.

Before I address the ball, I will take three practice strokes just to set the pendulum feeling. After the third practice stroke is finished and I pull the putter head back to my left foot, I tap the putter head against the green twice.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I have a water ball for rec play. Hmmm, do I want to risk hitting my new One Black in the water? Or do I want to hit this Callaway Warbird? 15 bucks a box, 45 bucks a box?

Warbird tyvm.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I thought I was normal until I started thinking about this subject:

1) 5 long tees, 2 short and 2 ball markers always in right pocket, nothing in left.

2) Glove always in rear pocket whilst putting with fingers hanging out.

3) Always wear a black Nike cap (mainly for practical reasons being a glasses wearer).

4) Never start with a brand new ball.

5) Score card and pencil always in rear pocket.

6) All keys, coins and other non golf related stuff out of sight and mind in bag.

7) Always turn up at least half an hour before due to start.

Still, at least I'm not the only freak looking at all your comments.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Prior to every tournament round:

• I exclusively wear red boxer shorts worn inside out
  • I consume volcanic dust sprinkled over my muesli for breakfast
  • I bury my bad swing thoughts in a box in my back garden two hours before tee-off time
  • I hold a 15 min séance with Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones and Jim Morrison before I leave for the golf course
  • I empty my bowels before every round in my downstairs toilet. I wipe anti-clockwise 4 times when finished. I cannot play with turd build-up. Clockwise wiping leads to the Yips
  • I drive to the course listening to Winston Churchill motivational tapes to psyche myself up
  • I undertake 30 mins of stretching and yoga related exercise prior to swinging a club
  • I hit seven fades, seven draws and a shank as part of my warm-up
  • I make sure to hole 5 six inch putts for confidence building purposes before I approach the 1st tee.
  • I spit inside my glove before putting it on. Once I have my glove on I never take it off during the round until finished.
  • I tighten my belt three notches to force more blood into my brain
  • I mentally scream Geronimo before every swing.
  • I caress my nipples which lining up my putts for additional focus.
  • I carry a Bowie knife with me at all times, strapped to my leg
    I refuse to have a caddy, lest they take away any of the glory of a good round

Outside that I think I'm fairly normal.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
.... so yer piss in the bushes every 2nd hole is a conscious thing ?? ...

btw ... got yer message .. July is chocka for me .. due to an unforeseen run in both the singles and foursomes matchplay in my place !! ... have just scalped the club champion (h/c 3) on Monday evening 5 & 4 .. just wondering when it's all gonna go belly up...;)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
.... so yer piss in the bushes every 2nd hole is a conscious thing ?? ...

btw ... got yer message .. July is chocka for me .. due to an unforeseen run in both the singles and foursomes matchplay in my place !! ... have just scalped the club champion (h/c 3) on Monday evening 5 & 4 .. just wondering when it's all gonna go belly up...;)

forget about that one, thanks for the heads up :)

jkilla217

May 25, 2007
im glad i stumbled across this thread
here are mine

-i take practice swings only on chips
-golf glove is unvelcroed on shots inside of 150
-i hate to make tee times so i havent made one this year
-have to drive the cart if im riding
...im sure there are more...

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
You guys are messed up. :laugh:

Just a few for me.

I ALWAYS need to have a scorecard in my left front pocket. Pencil in my right pocket.

I always wear a golf glove only taking it off after the round.

Like others, I need to putt with only white staring up at me. Anything else just confuses me.

All the clubs need to be correctly replaced in the Woode system.

The only real odd one I have is pulling out or putting back the flagstick. I need to "churn" it twice, pulling out, pushing it back in. Both on removal and replacing it after holing out.

This stems from a time my cousin was about to hole a bomb to win a match and the other friend attending it was daydreaming. My cousin is saying, "Pull it out, pull it out". Finally the guy attending wakes up and pulls it out, taking the cup with it. CLANG! against the middle of the elevated cup. We had to decide on how to pay bets, and winners of the matches etc. etc. It was awful. How many times are you going to make a 70-footer on the 18th hole for birdie when you need it?

I vowed this would never, ever happen to me while I'm attending. And it hasn't.

🔥 Latest posts