• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Very First Clubs

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
best putter I ever owned was an old steel head Wilson "Anser" style putter. Putter like a master with it when I was in my teens.

Wasn't a Sam Snead one was it, by any chance ? That was (I think) my first ever putter. Obtained from Bob Cockrofts for very, very little, if I remember correctly...:D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Made me think, this is about 30 years ago, but my first set was my mum's old Wilson Patty Berg irons (shared with my brother!!),My first set that was my own and not shared with my brother was:
Wilson 1200 LT - I treasured those : Aged 13 -16.

The first few times I played golf it was with some Patty Berg irons that my grandmother loaned me. My Wilson Sam Sneads's were my first set that were not loaners. Bought them for $99.95 USD with some birthday money when I was 10. :D

I wanted a set of the 1200 LT and/or 1200 GE's when I was in my teens. I used to drool over them every time I was in a sporting goods store. Never bought them, but wanted them for years. I guess that is when my inner Ho was in its infancy. :laugh:

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
The first few times I played golf it was with some Patty Berg irons that my grandmother loaned me. My Wilson Sam Sneads's were my first set that were not loaners. Bought them for $99.95 USD with some birthday money when I was 10. :D

I wanted a set of the 1200 LT and/or 1200 GE's when I was in my teens. I used to drool over them every time I was in a sporting goods store. Never bought them, but wanted them for years. I guess that is when my inner Ho was in its infancy. :laugh:

The 1200TRs were the business. I had the LTs but the weights started falling out. I can't remember how I got the TRs but man, were they cool, they were the playas version of the GE. I think Langer had them, square grooves. My fantasy was the BeCu version with black graphite shafts. I finally found a BeCu version of the 2 iron! I thought I was soo cool.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i actually still have my first(second & third sets also).had to go look at them to see what they were as i only used them about a 6 or 7 times in the first 2 yrs.

the irons are Bristol Victura Pro Only blades.with True Temper Pro Fit shafts.

the driver and 3 wood are Krydon persimmons heads.Steel shafts

payed $25 for the whole set.

had a putter with it also cant remember what it was or if i still have it.it looked like a Bullseye putter but i dont know if it was a Bullseye.

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
Back in the good old days, when I first started playing, about 4 -5 months ago:laugh:, I went to Wall Mart, bought a Driver, a Dunlap 3W, and a SW.

Bought a Ben Hogan 6i, and a TM 3i off of e-bay.

I hit the driving range with these clubs for about a month, untill I had the nerve to get on a 9 hole course.
I played with these for another month or so,then I bought a set of Cleveland CG4s, a Walter Hagen 3W, and WH 5Hibryd.
Also picked up a power play driver at the range for 50 bucks, and I've been playing with this set up till now.

This morning I just broke 110 for the first time ever.
I shot a 109.

The only thing that I'm missing is a decent driver, a nise SW, and a 3Hibryd.
Although, I hit my 3 and 4 iron better then my 5Hibryd, so I may not get a another hybrid.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
First decent set were Wilson X-31 irons and Macgregor persimmon woods,with an Anser,obviously

5iron

:) Lol on my last 9 i shot a 60..., on my last par 3 course i shot like 50 or over lol. My record I think is a 45 for the par 3 lol. BUT IM PlAYING TONIGHT, RAW HIDE!

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I still have my first set.
Delta X-2400's Musta come from Sears or something.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I don't even know what brand my were, got them from my stepdad 30+ years ago. Some of the clubs had wood shafts, the woods were actually made of laminated wood, etc. Still had them up until I moved 3 years ago & left them in the basement on purpose.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
My first set was an old 3-PW set of Wilson Staff Gooseneck blade irons. The first set that I bought myself was a set of Taylor Made TPF blades that I just had refinished and they look brand new.

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
My first set was an old 3-PW set of Wilson Staff Gooseneck blade irons. The first set that I bought myself was a set of Taylor Made TPF blades that I just had refinished and they look brand new.

:needpics:

i've been thinking of having my Maxfli's refinished...who'd you have do yours???

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I had them done through the GolfWorks

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c24_mhymerling_DSC00526.jpg

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c24_mhymerling_DSC00527.jpg

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Wilson Johnny Miller Signature Gold irons and laminated woods. Achusnet Bulls Eye putter. Still have em.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.