• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your very first internet experience....

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
My first computer experience was in college. One computer for a school of 13,000 people. Anyone else remember key punching in data?

My first computer came quite a bit later when I bought a small advertising business. I had the original Mac Plus with two floppy drives and the original Apple laserwriter with one meg. of memory. Price tag for both was $9,000.00. I was really excited when I was able to add a 10 meg. external drive.

My first internet experience was forced on me by the business that I was in. I think it was in 97. Funny how I thought I didn't need the internet and now just about everything I do involves internet or email.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
My first Internet connection was on Compuserve, I believe. I think it was a 2kbps Hayes compatible modem for which bulletin boards were about the only thing of value. I think that was on a Commodore 64. Start loading a page, go cook dinner, come back and it was loaded.

My first computer experience was a Commodore Pet, programming in Basic. In HS we would schedule our class for after lunch. Start loading the program off of a tape drive. Go eat lunch then we would have an hour to work. Any other time you would spend 45 minutes to have the program to load and do most of the work with paper and pencil.

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Interesting Jayhawk.

I thought for sure you were going to regale us with stories of tapping out morse code to fellow telegraphers in Fort Smith....

or something.
;)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Interesting Jayhawk.

I thought for sure you were going to regale us with stories of tapping out mores code to fellow telegraphers in Fort Smith....

or something.
;)
No, I didn't really get interested until I started seeing the bright flashy lights to catch my interest. Kinda like a moth I guess. :D

Although I did collect and do still own about 10 of the original Mattel games with little red lights. Although I doubt with Madden 2008 and PSP's now on the market, people would just not appreciate the three rows of lights and a few buttons. :laugh: Required really quick finger action

Mattel Football I
Mattel Handheld Games

... got really excited when you could pass the ball
Mattel Football II

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
... and in all fairness, I do still have my copy of Windows 1.0 on 5 1/4" floppies. Would run one entire program without crashing if you shut down all the extra features. :laugh:

Hitman

Apr 8, 2007
For me it was in 1991 with BBS' in 92 I got my first AOL account. Pretty much been downhill from there.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
What is this "Internet" thingy everyone speaks of?
You must not have been listening when Al Gore told us how he devised it's creation. I guess that would have meant he worked for the DOD at the age of about 10-12 or even younger. :laugh: Granted, I really wasn't listening either. :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I was really excited when I was able to add a 10 meg. external drive.

The first computer I worked on was learning Fortran on an IBM 360 with punch cards. I remember that year walking by a darkened computer lab watching some guys sit mesmerized by a spiralling green line on a monitor. I remember thinking to myself, "what a bunch of dorks". Now I think to myself, "those guys are probably long retired kickin' it on some caribbean beach."

The first computer I owned was an IBM PC clone with two 5 1/4" floppies. I remember a friend of mine moving to Boca to work for IBM, coming back and telling us about this amazing thing called a hard drive that held 10 megabytes of data. I remember thinking to myself, what the hell would anyone need that for? Especially when it cost $2500. Now we have SD cards that hold 2000 times as much data for under $60. Truly amazing.

And the scary thing is, we're entering into a time of great change. Nanotechnology and quantum computing will revolutionize information technology more radically than we can imagine. I'm frustrated sometimes with my parents inability to grasp more than the basics of computers. Can't wait to see how stupid I am in 20 years...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.