• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Zach's WITB - 8 / 22 / 2009

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Not a lot has changed since last time, but they're just so good looking...

DRIVER-

Wishon 525 GRT : 9.5* : VS Proto 70-S

This club has saved me from more ho's than I can remember, honestly. The face is virtually FLAT from sole to crown- it does not have the roll that causes inconsistency in launch angle that virtually EVERY other driver has. To me, this is the only unique design in drivers. I've been tempted by FT-i's, but knowing this club will produce a more consistent launch angle than anything else out there, I can't justify buying drivers anymore. Oh yeah, and it works pretty well. (Just not for me!) I have another one of these as well that's collecting dust, if anyone's interested.

FAIRWAY WOOD-

Wishon 515 GRT : 15* : VS Proto 85-S

I really suck at hitting 3-woods for the most part. Whatever club occupies this spot almost NEVER gets used. However, I've had some moderate success with this club. ALMOST to the point of being reliable! The trajectory is GREAT. Feel is GREAT. Clubhead is small enough, and fairly shallow to make it useful off the fairway. But, again, I can't imagine not hitting my 18.5* hybrid instead of this. It's a confidence thing. Still have the GEEK DCT 15* which I simply haven't hit in a while. This is the only spot in my bag that isn't reasonably solid.

HYBRIDS-

Nickent 4DX : T. Issue 18.5*, 23* : VS Proto 80-S Hybrid

Best hybrids I've ever hit. I have the T.I. 18.5 with a different shaft in it as well and the results are similar. These are titanium hybrids, which may account for the distance and feel. They are just rocket launchers. Off the tee, I've had 230+ MANY times with the 18.5, longest at 250 with a draw. The 23* launches high but doesn't balloon. I cut these down to normal iron lengths which seemed to assist in them sitting very flat on the ground, as opposed to toe up. LOVE these clubs. ALWAYS out for buying more of the same. Let me reiterate- I LOVE these.

IRONS:

Nakashima NP-1 : 5-PW : Project X 6.5

In retrospect these shafts might be too stiff, but I wouldn't know. I played the same shafts in the blades I was hitting prior to these and they were EXCELLENT. I actually HAVEN'T struck the ball as well with these, but it's really coming around lately. Gorgeous to look at. Excellent feel. Very consistent, controllable ball-flight. As workable as I'd ever need. I ALMOST like hitting fades, now. Almost. I have these bent QUITE flat too. At LEAST 3*.

WEDGES:

Taylormade Z-TP : 51*, 55*, 60* : Project X 6.5

Mmmmm MMM. Even if they didn't work that well I don't think I'd replace them. These are the best looking wedges I've ever seen. Turns out that they DO work, too! 52 and 56 are bent 1* strong for my own mental harmony in setup (47, 51, 55, 60). I never use my PW as anything but a 10-iron, so these ARE my "approach" clubs if I'm within 120 yards. I've been working on different shots- from 100 I can blast the SW or hit a lower show with the GW, from 75 I can hit a smooth, full 60 or an abbreviated 56. I really do use all of these, and they perform.

PUTTER:

Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball

Results. Results, results, results, people. I think it's cute, but having a "cute" putter next to those wedges makes me feel like Jeff. But I've never made so many putts. I still use my arching putter stroke and it's better than fine. I LOVE the soft feel. It's almost as if I have a bit more room on the backswing because the face of this putter is so soft. This has improved my putting within 6 feet by 100% at least, honestly. Not to say this is a magic stick, but I really wasn't making anything before.

So, gents, I will probably play this driver until I'm dead. 3W is sort of inconsequential to my game- might want to try something in titanium (though I never could get along with the TEE). The Nickent 4DX 3w is definitely on the radar. Hybrids are rock solid. Irons are good enough. Wedges are fantastic. Putter is everything I could want.

Ho-ing is virtually done for me. Where do I turn in my badge?
CIMG0063.jpg
CIMG0055.jpg
CIMG0050.jpg

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Congratulations: you have put together a fine set of clubs. I love the look of the naks.

Approximately what are you scoring?

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I will let you know tomorrow. It'll be the first time I play 18 in a while, and most of my game is in a good position. Lately I've just been playing 9, and I'll be 3-6 over par for failure to strike the ball AT ALL in the fairway, and at the time I couldn't make the 5-footers often enough to save par. I really have a good understanding of the move I'm trying to make now. Been working on it a lot at the range. Feeling pretty good about it.

The driver is almost working too. When I connect with that it's as long as it's ever been. Still blocking it a little.

edit- any my iron distances are odd. Sometimes I hit it high on the face and my 6-iron barely breaks 150. When I hit it solid, my 7i carries 165 and I can get it rolling out to 200 if I hit it on a low trajectory. Really have to work on hitting the ball with the same part of the face. Not too worried, just need to be aware of it.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
pretty wicked bag.

you can ship that extra driver to me. i'll give it a good home.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
I had a set of the NP1's, the nicest looking head on the market. Actually too nice I couldn't bring myself to hit them so they were sold.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
3W is sort of inconsequential to my game- might want to try something in titanium (though I never could get along with the TEE).

So, you sold me the TEE just because it was broken....now I get the picture :D

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Nice bag, Zach. And I mean that in whatever way you want to take it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I agree with you on the TM wedges. The Rac TP smoke finish is, IMHO, the coolest looking finish in golf today. I'm sure that the finish wears faster, much like the black pearl finish that cleveland has but it still looks awesome. Nice looking bag too overall!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Jim.. Actually it doesn't. I don't know what the finish is, or how it's applied, but it's pretty lasting.

I have the same wedges in 52 and 56, and the 56 has seen ALOT of sand and nasties. Hasn't worn anything like the black finish on a RAC Tp 58* I have in the closet.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Jim.. Actually it doesn't. I don't know what the finish is, or how it's applied, but it's pretty lasting.

I have the same wedges in 52 and 56, and the 56 has seen ALOT of sand and nasties. Hasn't worn anything like the black finish on a RAC Tp 58* I have in the closet.

Interesting, that's good to know. I had a CG10 in the black Pearl finish and after one season it didn't look all that black. May have to look into a couple of these then...

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Xam, the problem with the TEE is most likely that I can't put a good swing on a fairway wood every time I have that club in my hand, coincidentally. I've probably hit 14 good fairway wood shots this entire season. It's a matter of not using it, and not hitting it well when I do. Even at the range, I barely touch it. I hit my 18.5 far enough to where I'm better off using that for a "lay up."

Carl wants my spare 525, eh...?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Xam, the problem with the TEE is most likely that I can't put a good swing on a fairway wood every time I have that club in my hand, coincidentally. I've probably hit 14 good fairway wood shots this entire season. It's a matter of not using it, and not hitting it well when I do. Even at the range, I barely touch it. I hit my 18.5 far enough to where I'm better off using that for a "lay up."

Carl wants my spare 525, eh...?

Do you think maybe the two highlighted comments might be related?

R35

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I practice shots I use on the course at the range. 3W for me is mostly a bag decoration :p Still have the DCT, and I'd be interested in trying an NP-1 3W, or a 4DX 3W. Still don't think I'd use either one very much. If you stole my 3W and put the headcover on a dowel rod in my bag, I might not notice for a month.

I just never need to hit it. Ever. If or when I ever do, it's just to see if I can. I've genuinely never been in a situation where I needed - NEEDED - to hit it farther than 230 but less than 250. When something's too tight for driver, I've never felt like the 18.5 wasn't enough. It does help that I really kill that club.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
could you pick up a 4dx hybrid in any lower lofts and use that instead of a 3 wood?

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Nice bag, Zach. I agree on your Driver, my Adams is a flat face.
The Irons, I would definatly bag them. look like a cross between some Bridgestones and...Hogan Apex Edge :). Those puppies should be deadly accurate.

🔥 Latest posts