• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Zaphod...let me know how it went.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
So how did the drivers perform today? Waiting for the review on my Protoized Burner. Better, worse or the same as the TP with the Proto?

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
o Wi-Golfer, I PM you these comments but I figure I will post them with explanation for all.

Wi-Golfer had me pull the OM 50 gram shaft from his 13* Burner and replace it with a 60 Gram Aldila VS Proto by you (thanks chemboy!). The previous set up was straight but the loss of distance and towering trajectory was "just wrong". Built it to 45.5" (D4 swing weight if I remember correctly). PCI Winn grip. ChemBoy had the shaft pured. I used a specialtyferrule made by Billy Bob's Golf to reduce the loft to approximently 11.5* Otherwise everything went well except---when pulled shaft the OM shaft tip disintergrated. Not sure why as I use gentle heat.. Perhaps TM puts a self destruct mechanism in their shafts ala Mission Impossible.

Went out to Northern Bay driving range today. $5 for all the balls you want to hit. The Burner was forgiving and long. Still higher than the 9.5 R7 TP (by you) driver but not overly. Shaft felt great. It is a fairway finder.

I would put it up there with the Sumo squared in forgiveness but longer. It would be an even up duel between the G10 and this driver. I think you will be happy. Especially with the lower launch driver you now have. Good choices for "swing du jour" options.

Spent 2.5 hours working out some gremlins from my swing from driver to bunker play to chipping and putting. Hit every club in my bag numerous times.

Basically what I learned was to start with a good balance posture and swing into a coiled backswing. then unwind the coil in a coordinated fashion. When I was coiling on backswing I was cheating by bending right knee forward and reducing the stretch. This caused skulls, fatties, and other nasty swings. If I keep myself honest all is well.

Hope the driver works out for you!!!!

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Hope the driver works out for you!!!!

I think it will be a good combo, the current TP with the ProLaunch red is fantastic for windy days & really gets a lot of roll. Definitely the lowest flying driver I have ever swung & I like it a lot. But being a TP if you don't hit it in the sweet spot it's not the most forgiving driver. Hell I think you could hit a ball with the backside of a Burner & still get a good drive out of it:smilie_tm

We need to get togther with George & Jerry, swap drivers around & everyone try their best with each one. BTW, how did that Adams of Georges turn out?

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
sssmokin driver is still on shelf waiting for a shaft of his choice. Adams surprised me with a 0.335 hosel rather than 350. Was going to stick in a old Ping shaft from G2. Opps

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
It's great to hear that the "by you" is working. I'm a big fan of the shaft myself. I had had it pulled out of my SQ Tour with the intention of putting it in the replacement but I ho'd a Rapture with one.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
We need to get togther with George & Jerry, swap drivers around & everyone try their best with each one. BTW, how did that Adams of Georges turn out?

Wi-Golfer

Now that sounds like fun!!! (Do we have to keep score?)... :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.