• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'09 BurnerTP

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So I finally got to the range with this thing. I did some work on my swingpath and face angle today but results were quicker/better than I thought. I'm very glad I got the 10.5* in this club. The specs say it's high launch but I hit the SQTP 9.5* as high or slightly higher. The specs also say low spin... and they weren't kidding on that one. It was very wet at the range and balls were still carrying over the 250 and rolling out into the woods. I'm sure the "300" sign is not that far from where I was hitting from but they were rolling into the woods past that sign. I'd say in the wet conditions I was getting a good 15-20 yards of roll off an already mid-high carry drive. So it seems to be carrying a tad further and rolling out further than the SQTP.

I like the feel and setup of the head a lot. It actually seems to have a better feel than the SQTP and not quite as loud. I like the graphics and the "TP" logo on the crown. Both seem to help me a lot with getting the clubface aligned when I setup.

Last, the shaft. I was impressed by the stock 65g shaft. I put some electrical tape around the end of the grip to remind me to grip down on it. I might end up pulling this shaft, tipping it 1/2" and putting it back in. It seemed just a tad loose but not bad at all. I think a little less tip action would make it near perfect.

We'll have to see how it goes on the course but I was able to control this driver with good distance very well. I hit mostly draws, since that's what I was working on but was able to hit a monster carry cut shot when I tried it. I'd probably want to drop to a 9.5* if I were to hit nothing but cuts with it. With a slight draw the ballflight is lower and seems like the loft is perfect for it.

I hit quite a few 3W's to get a judge of distance. My 3W was landing at around 240-245 and barely rolling to 250 or dead plugging. The Burner was flying the 250 in the air then rolling out of my sight over a little hill. So it seems to have the distance over the TEE that I'm looking for.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
OK, this thing is a POS. I hit like 2 fairways in about 22 holes today. Shaft has to be the most inaccurate thing I've ever hit. I'm going to get my SQTP back from the pro shop and lock tite that weight in place. It's longer and more accurate than this thing for sure. I'm up in the air about changing the shaft or just getting rid of it. All my misses were the face being open at impact. I think I'd be happier with a head that has a slightly shut face.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I finally gave up and admitted I need a closed face, draw biased driver. I just can't seem to get the face square on a Tour/open faced driver to save my life.

Don't worry Ez, once you admit it, it doesn't hurt at all, :laugh:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just don't know where to go from here. I wouldn't mind trying an FT9 but they are just too expensive and a pain to reshaft. I won't get the Imix because every shaft is like $200+ for the same shaft I could get for $40 as a pull. I might end up getting an R7 Limited.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Next year the FT-9 will be $199.00 at Cally preowned and probably $139.00 on ebay, so all you have to do is play the TEE for the rest of this year and you'll be all set next season.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, right now I think the SQTP is better than the BurnerTP. I know it's in the shaft though. This is the worst shaft I've hit in a while. Feels like a V2 66gram.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I think I'm going to, like right now. That 761 totally changed my 5W into one of the most accurate clubs I've ever hit. The tip in the stock shaft is just way unstable. The shaft itself feels pretty stout just the clubhead is all over the GD place at impact. I'm striking the thing dead center every time, nothing even close to a mishit, just the face is like 3-5* open every GD time. I'd been trying to draw the thing and end up open to a very in to out path. The thing that's holding me back from wanting to mess with the club is the distance. I put it against the 3W on several holes, ripped both and the most it got the TEE by was about 5yds.. There were 2holes I ripped off a little draw and had 130 into 380 and 140 into 390 but nothing to write home about. I can do that with the TEE. I should have like 110 and 120 in when I rip the SQTP on those holes.

Cripes, I don't know what to do. I really should just take the SQTP back out for a few days. The TM rep said they'd only give me like $70 credit I guess for the crack in the head. It's not effecting the club at all, just making the weight loosen up often. Should be able to use some locktite on it and keep it secure.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
The TM rep said they'd only give me like $70 credit I guess for the crack in the head. It's not effecting the club at all, just making the weight loosen up often. Should be able to use some locktite on it and keep it secure.
If not duct tape! :ugly25:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If not duct tape! :ugly25:

What can I do? It's not worth a thing, who's going to buy a driver with a crack in it? It's not affecting the thing besides the weight loosens up time to time. I rip that driver when my swing is on, longest driver I've ever hit.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Have you tried an R9?

The 460 is silly, but the 420cc R9 was a total surprise to me. I was happy with my Tour Burner, and played with the TP version because I hit the whiteboard much nicer, but never, ever could hit a draw with it. Straight, or fade with the TP.

I got the R9 for my dad, and he liked it, but told me to keep it if I wanted it. I'm glad he didn't like it. I BOMB that thing. Setting it up Neutral Upright was insane. Straight, or with a slight change in the release, I can get it to draw or fade. I think the smaller head is the ticket, and I think your just used to the smaller traditional shaped head.

Throw that Speeder in there and try the club out. Or just admit that you need draw biased, and move on and get something neutral or shut down.

I think the R9, or something adjustable would be your ticket though.. You get so caught up in shot trajectories, shot shaping, cuts, draws, knockdowns, etc that you could fool with it and find something that works.

With all that said.. Once you find the setting, the R9 has lost it's shine. No need to screw with it.. Sure, I'd like to muck around and close the face like a barn door, and see what it does, but why?

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i've solved my driver problem. my 3 wood is hitting 250. case closed.

is there a 2 wood out there anywhere?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
What can I do? It's not worth a thing, who's going to buy a driver with a crack in it? It's not affecting the thing besides the weight loosens up time to time. I rip that driver when my swing is on, longest driver I've ever hit.

My Pal's SQ cracked on the sole about 6 months ago. He sent it back to TM UK and they sent him a R7 Limited to replace it.

I'd look on the bay and pick up a FT9 I~Mix head. Then look for the cheapest I~mix shaft you can find....I got a PL Red for £35. Once you have a shaft you can pull the adaptor and fit it to whatever shaft you like. The bonus is you will never risk damageing the head when pulling a shaft and the warrenty of the head won't be affected by what you do shaft wise.

This fella has the heads brandnew quite cheap;- NEW RH CALLAWAY I-MIX FT9 FT-9 10* DRAW DRIVER HEAD on eBay (end time 26-Jun-09 23:45:53 BST)

Shaft;- Choice of shafts for $69.99 NEW CALLAWAY GOLF I-MIX SHAFT ALDILA DVS 60 STF FLEX on eBay (end time 01-Jul-09 05:21:37 BST) or NEW CALLAWAY GOLF I-MIX SHAFT YS-Q 65 STIFF FLEX on eBay (end time 26-Jun-09 17:51:49 BST)

$230 for a brandnew FT9 with a choice of Aldila DVS or GD YS-Q.

🔥 Latest posts