• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1 iron hybrid vs 3 wood

sirwill

Aug 13, 2009
I own a Cleavland Halo 1 iron hybrid that I love. My question is as fallowed. As many of us know, hitting a standard 3 wood off a fairway or tee can be difficult. I'm thinking about pulling my 3 wood out of my bag and replacing it with my 1 iron hybrid. Do you think this is a good idea? And in theory will the 1 iron hybrid fly as far as the standard 3 wood if both are hit properly?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Use what works for your swing, not what is percieved as "normal". If it works for you, use it.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My question is as follows...and then you make a statement...

???

Hard to answer a statement my friend.

Either way, Welcome to Shottalk!

OP
sirwill

sirwill

Aug 13, 2009
My question is as follows...and then you make a statement...

???

Hard to answer a statement my friend.

Either way, Welcome to Shottalk!

Sorry for the grammar mistake. And thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Sorry for the grammar mistake. And thank you for welcoming me to the forum.
Not so much a grammar mistake as missing question...no biggie man!

There are no good idea's or bad ideas with club choices. As Rock stated, use whatever works for your game. No one will be able to tell you what is best for your game though. Most trial and error.

In theory...i have no clue which one will fly further. Best case would be to take them both to the range or even better take them both to the golf course with you for a practice round and hit them both in the same situation to see which one you like better in different situations.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I would guess that the hybrid would fly shorter if well-struck, because the shaft is shorter. That being said, I would hit my 18.5 hybrid ALL DAY before I'd hit my 3W. Actually I did hit 3W today instead when I had a little extra ground I could cover, and I hooked it into some trees and had to hit a miracle low-hook between some trees to save a decent number on the hole.

If I'd gone hybrid, I would've been costing myself 15 yards, TOPS, and been in the fairway. DOY.

I've been seriously considering a 1h myself. If you can hit it well, go for it. I know I have a little trouble getting the 18.5 high enough for my liking. But I really like flying my shots high. If I don't have time for a nap between when I hit the ball and when the ball hits the ground, I'm not happy.

Shorter shaft might equate to better contact and MORE distance, too. But to that extent, I don't know why you, I, or anyone, wouldn't just cut their 3W down significantly. I think, perhaps, that hybrid heads might be heavier to accomodate the shorter shafts.

Musings, musings... If you HAVE the 1h already, take them both out on the course. Everywhere you want to hit one of them, hit both, and make mental notes of your results.

Golf = results.

OP
sirwill

sirwill

Aug 13, 2009
I would guess that the hybrid would fly shorter if well-struck, because the shaft is shorter. That being said, I would hit my 18.5 hybrid ALL DAY before I'd hit my 3W. Actually I did hit 3W today instead when I had a little extra ground I could cover, and I hooked it into some trees and had to hit a miracle low-hook between some trees to save a decent number on the hole.

If I'd gone hybrid, I would've been costing myself 15 yards, TOPS, and been in the fairway. DOY.

I've been seriously considering a 1h myself. If you can hit it well, go for it. I know I have a little trouble getting the 18.5 high enough for my liking. But I really like flying my shots high. If I don't have time for a nap between when I hit the ball and when the ball hits the ground, I'm not happy.

Shorter shaft might equate to better contact and MORE distance, too. But to that extent, I don't know why you, I, or anyone, wouldn't just cut their 3W down significantly. I think, perhaps, that hybrid heads might be heavier to accomodate the shorter shafts.

Musings, musings... If you HAVE the 1h already, take them both out on the course. Everywhere you want to hit one of them, hit both, and make mental notes of your results.

Golf = results.
Thank you very much for the well informed reply.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Funny how this stuff comes up. I just won an auction for a 16 degree hybrid that is the same as the 22 degree I hit so well. The 3 wood has been inconsistent at best. Last night, I played the final par 5 hybrid-hybrid-wedge. I'm getting to the point that I'm as confident from 205 as 105. So, I'm hoping a 16 will be as consistent for me, and only slightly shorter.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I was faced with the same dilemma a while back. I couldn't hit my 3 wood off the deck to save my life. I had recently picked up a cobra baffler DWS 3 hybrid which has become my go to club, it really is an amazing club.

After searching, I found a Cobra Baffler 1 hybrid which I jumped on. Thing is, I still have my bad shots but it's a lot more consistent than my 3 wood. For some reason though, when I hit my 3 hybrid well, it makes a nice PING. However, I have yet to get that sound from the 1 hybrid even though they are the exact same model and shaft. Oh well, guess I need to practice more to hit it more consistently.

At the end of the day, for me at least, the 1 hybrid is longer than my 3 wood because all I ever got with my 3 wood were 50 yard worm burners.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I built a 1 hybrid, Maltby Ke4 head, 15º. When I hit it properly, its only a few yards shorter than my Tee 4 wood. My miss hits with the 4 wood are usually over active fades, but my miss hits with the 1 hybrid are worm burners.

Granted, I haven't really given the 1 hybrid enough bag time, mainly because the head is too heavy.

But like has already been said, play a round by yourself, hit them both side by side and see which works best for you.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Right now I'm carrying a Nickent 14* hybrid, and an Adams A3 15* 3w, both shafted the same (Aldila DVS), and I'm experimenting.

I don't hit either very often. 3W is a bit longer on pure shots, 1H isn't quite as long but is a better club on less than perfect contact.

A benefit is that the 1H will get me 180yds (counting roll) from under trees when ball flight needs to be lower. Since I don't play in comps, I'll probably cheat and carry 15 clubs.

🔥 Latest posts