• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

10 Practical Rules for 18 Handicappers

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
Editor's note: I get emails. Following is one (slightly edited) that I received about three weeks ago from David Savage of Collingswood, New Jersey. "Use this any way you see fit," David wrote. "I worry that the USGA and R&A are losing touch with public course players." So, here's David. And please don't tell The Rules Geek.

a1.bp.blogspot.com__6mCoc21A4t0_US09BA0RHOI_AAAAAAAAF1g_a6avEjd3zG4_s320_2012ROGphoto.JPG
Do you play by the Rules?
By David Savage
Special to ARMCHAIR GOLF

Most of the Rules of Golf, as I read them, function very well for high-level competitionvery skilled players, caddies, rules committee personnel who are readily available, prize money and ranking at stake, and more.

However, there should be a separate set of Rules for us 18 handicappers who play infrequently. These suggestions are practical and help speed up play. We do many of them already.

1. No stroke and distance for lost ball. Do you really want to slow up everyone’s Saturday morning? Drop/place nearby and keep playing.

2. Two club lengths (even better 10 yards) for all other drops. And don’t dropplace the ball.

3. Repair all damage to the green before and after you putt. Heaven knows no one else repairs the greens.

4. Lift and clean whenever necessary. We hit plenty of bad shots using clean golf balls, much less dirty ones.

5. Replace the ball when you feel like it. We all putt with a new ball and play with a different one.

6. If you can move itmove it. Obstructions and Loose Impediments anywhere they occur.

7. Play when ready. No waiting for the farthest from the green/hole to play.

8. Advice. Take it anywhere and from anyone you can get it!

9. Use rangefinders and GPS all the time. Many courses have no (or hidden) distance markers.

10. Anything else that makes sense.

EXAMPLE: A player drives deeply into a stand of trees and the ball may be lost. If he hits a provisional, it will likely end up close to the same spot. Instead, after the first drive, go to where the ball entered the trees, look quickly, if not found, or if it is unplayable, drop or place one near where the original ball entered and keep playing, one stroke penalty. Think about the delay of returning to the tee where two foursomes are waiting, and hitting another drive (probably into the trees again).

Club pros do a great job of helping us amateurs play better and understand the Rules. But until I have a single-digit handicap and am playing in regional tournaments, make golf more fun, play faster and get more people interested in the game.

Source: 10 Practical Rules for 18 Handicappers

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I know a lot of people that play like this anyway.

I was going to say, when I started playing last summer this is how we played. It wasn't out of disrespect to the rules of golf, it was out of respect of the other players so we kept up our pace of play and didn't hold anyone up.

Now that I'm much better than I was (still not great) I can have a fast pace of place and play it the way its intended

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
When me and my buddies are just out playing we follow these guidelines.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
10. Knock the sand off your cleats before stepping on the green. Nothing worse (well, not many) than trying to save par through Jim's sandy size 16 tracks.
:mad:

That's the least of the issues on the greens at the 3 courses around here. They have dang sand traps on them seems like. Big spots that the grass died out and is sunken in and sometimes half full of sand. The ball literally just bounces around when trying to putt across. We have a rule that if its really bad you can move to the side of it but no closer to the hole

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
That's the least of the issues on the greens at the 3 courses around here. They have dang sand traps on them seems like. Big spots that the grass died out and is sunken in and sometimes half full of sand. The ball literally just bounces around when trying to putt across. We have a rule that if its really bad you can move to the side of it but no closer to the hole
That's a good rule, but poor maintenance is different than careless inconsideration. I liken it to someone purposely ignoring their ball mark.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
That's a good rule, but poor maintenance is different than careless inconsideration. I liken it to someone purposely ignoring their ball mark.

I agree. I believe it is a 3 prong issue for this region. Lack of staff maintaining the course properly, people not taking care of the course as they play, and the summers being 110 on a nice day with droughts throughout.

Members online

No members online now.