• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

11 over on 9 Yesterday

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
For most of you that would be a cry in your beer event, for me that was massive improvement. My on total POS hole was a par Four 323 yard hole, hit the Snake Eyes driver and it went in the slight fade path that I planned on, hit right in front of the green and rolled over the whole left side and off the back. So I am happy as a clam, smiling the whole way to the green, this is great, I was hitting my wedges great, so I will just chip on in tight and Birdie here we come. Needless to say that is not even close to what happened, this hole was determined to get even with me for my drive, lined up the 25 foot chip to the green and the pin was maybe 10 feet on from the back, CHUNK, 5 feet, now I am a little stressed, CHUNK, 10 more feet, crap, I am still in uphill cabbage, OK take it easy, just try not to hit it so fat, PRING, skulled up and over and off the other side of the green, now I am pissed, put the wedge away and putt on from the fairway, putt....... to about 8 feet, putt....... to 2 inches, putt, plunk and down in . All I had to do was bogey that hole and for the first time ever I would have played Bogey golf for the round.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I hate that one bad hole......I was 3 over thru 8 with two three putts yesterday and made a 7 on a very simple par 4.....just one of those holes....sounds like your game will be ready for the spring.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Man, you only missed bogey golf by 2 strokes..look at it as a positive!

Bad hole is over, but apparently you had 8 good holes...good job!

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Davebud - I've just gone through this MAJOR transition (breakign 90). I don't know how many times I found myself on the cusp of shooting a true bogey golf score only to have it thwarted at the last (or next to last) hole to card a bogey +1 or 2 for the round. It is without a doubt a mental thing. Here's what worked for me:

1) Try not to act surprised when you par a hole. This sounds silly, but it works.
2) Write down your score after just coming off the green and then PUT THE SCORECARD AWAY! In other words, one hole at a time. Side note if you're playing a full 18, DO NOT add up your front 9 at the turn. The less you know where you're at score wise the better.
3) An extension of #2, do not keep score in your head either. Seriously, write down the score for the hole and then move on mentally as well. You're now playing the hole in front of you, not re-living a hole you can do nothing about!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Davebud - I've just gone through this MAJOR transition (breakign 90). I don't know how many times I found myself on the cusp of shooting a true bogey golf score only to have it thwarted at the last (or next to last) hole to card a bogey +1 or 2 for the round. It is without a doubt a mental thing. Here's what worked for me:

1) Try not to act surprised when you par a hole. This sounds silly, but it works.
2) Write down your score after just coming off the green and then PUT THE SCORECARD AWAY! In other words, one hole at a time. Side note if you're playing a full 18, DO NOT add up your front 9 at the turn. The less you know where you're at score wise the better.
3) An extension of #2, do not keep score in your head either. Seriously, write down the score for the hole and then move on mentally as well. You're now playing the hole in front of you, not re-living a hole you can do nothing about!

Good advice. I've playing match play with Twofast2's the last couple times we played. I find it's a lot easier to forget about a bad hole and concentrate on the hole and shot at hand.

Congrats Dave. Remember, hands before clubhead, hinge and hold on those pitches and chips... and to quote another Dave... "Decelerate and it's Shanko time".
icon10.gif

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Yep - well played. If you're not playing golf for a living then just try and enjoy it - that's what its there for. Easy to say but harder to do when you hack up one hole I know.

Keep practising and it will come.

OP
Davebud

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I was happy because this is still right there with in striking distance of this years goal, breaking 90. That is my goal for this summer to get in that 88-92 range with some regularity. This score is reflective of the fact that it is possible, then we will move on to the next goal. The great thing in my mind is that 4th of July 2005 when I decided to start playing I shot a 78 on 9 holes, here it is less that two years later and I shot a 43, marked improvement. Keeping that up would be great, I will be 40 this year, so I should be in good shape to play the Champions Tour by the time I hit 50.:laugh:

OP
Davebud

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Congrats and keep that head down on those chips!!! :)

I am inclined to agree that you are right, I probably was looking up and not concentrating on the shot so much as not skulling it.

Don't let it go to your head either, probably last time for a while I will tell you that you were right about anything.:laugh:

🔥 Latest posts