• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1st Post - Poor Distance + Analyze my Swing (Videos Inside)

TruFloridaGator

Jun 22, 2009
I was a pretty serious golfer when I was 10-14 years old, but got burnt out and quit until I was about 18 when I wanted to get back into things. My parents bought me gave me a full set that I went and got custom fit (Infinity). 5 years later (now 23), I've got a lot more serious and am down to about a 13 index, playing twice a week and hitting balls, short game, putting 2 other days. I haven't had any growth since then so my clubs fit me good.

I'm a good ball striker and a good putter, and improving my short game. My biggest weakness is probably my driving game at only about 235 yds with the occasional slice but I seem to be improving on, but not my distance. I'm only 5'7" 135lbs so I'm not a big guy but I feel like I should be getting some more distance out of my driver. That said, I've been in the gym and working on getting stronger as well.

My iron/wood breakdown is as such from the fairway:
SW: 80 yds
PW: 105-110 yds
9I: 115-120 yds
8I: 125-130 yds
7I: 135 yds
6I: 150 yds
5I: 160 yds
4I: 175 yds
3I: 190 yds
5W: 205 yds
3W: 215 yds

I don't currently own a hybrid so that's an option as well.

OP
T

TruFloridaGator

Jun 22, 2009
These are quick videos outside my house in flip-flops and with a left-handed club(LOL, my clubs are at my other place). My brother was around who could actually help me get some video so I wanted to get these up before I invest in any lessons where I might get some better video. Nonetheless, my swing felt good and felt like it usually does.

Swing: YouTube - golf swing

Swing in Slow Motion: YouTube - golf swing in slow mo

I notice I have some weird wrist cocking going on, that's not typical of my swing. Like I said, I was just trying to get the videos done.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
1st off, welcome to Shot Talk!

Now, as far as your videos, in flip flops, without a ball, and the wrong handed clubs, its next to impossible to really judge anything. Next time you play a round of golf, get your brother to video tape a couple of shots. Tell us which way the ball went, straight, right or left and distance.

The videos given didn't show any glaring swing flaws though, if that helps any. You look plenty big enough to be hitting the ball farther. Work on your lag and hip turn. Fire with your hips to initiate your swing and let your body pull your arms around and through. That will increase your lag and swing speed most likely.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Honestly...you're very short overall!
you hit a 7i 135yards! You cannot expect to hit driver very far at all.
Check out speedchains, XLR8R, OS devices and the speed forum over at speedchaininstructions.com.
You need some swing speed if you have any chance of hitting the ball farther.
Of course you can also play golf hitting driver 235yards, but IMHO that'd suck!

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Video without actually hitting a ball is not helpful at all.

Everyone's swing changes from a practice swing to the actual swing.

For more distance... at impact on your irons, make sure your hands are ahead of the ball. Just like impact on a chip shot.

BOOM! I just gained you 15 yards per iron. :thumbs up:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My first impression is that you are being too smooth and too rhythmic. The golf swing is not really a smooth "tick-tock" like a pendulum; it's more of a "wind-up and let go." I don't know if you've ever seen the old toy airplane that you wind up a rubber band by spinning the prop. When you let go of the prop, the stored energy in the rubber band is released all at once, and the prop makes power. That what the golf swing is - storing energy and releasing it through the impact zone.

Try to work on speeding up your downswing a bit. A good drill for this is to stand with your feet together, turn the club upside down, swing it with your left hand only (assuming you normally play right-handed,) and try to make the handle "whoosh" right at the bottom of the swing. Work at getting that "whoosh" sound as loud as you can while staying in balance, and work at getting the sound to happen right at the impact position. This will help you develop clubhead speed (which you are lacking - if your video is actually a representation of your actual swing.)

As you try to develop some speed you will hit some horrendous shots, and may even miss the ball entirely - you will need to learn to combine power with rhythm, which is really what golf is all about. Balance.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
My first impressions are you are swinging too upright and you are not making a good enough coil. Your swing is all arms and hands.. Start by eliminating that wrist snatch take away and getting the club going around your body more. You also need to create a lot more width in your swing.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Video without actually hitting a ball is not helpful at all.

Everyone's swing changes from a practice swing to the actual swing.

For more distance... at impact on your irons, make sure your hands are ahead of the ball. Just like impact on a chip shot.

BOOM! I just gained you 15 yards per iron. :thumbs up:

That is the key for a lot of guys. I played with my boss yesterday and really realized this is his big issue. His wedge game stinks and his iron yardages are very inconsistant. It's all becuase he has a flip at impact and plays the ball way too far forward. It's like a crapshoot whether he hits a PW 100yds. or 130yds..

I highly recommend to anyone starting out or looking to improve ballstriking to look into The Golf Machine. The book/method gets very technical but it doesn't need to be, it's actually extremely simple. I'm going to find a couple vids off youtube for you.

#1 is Lynn Blake, one of the foremost TGM instructors in the world, explaining the chip to pitch to punch to full swing. Great stuff and will improve striking tremendously. #2 is actually a stack and tilt drill. S&T is based entirely on TGM. The "flying wedge" refers the the V that is your arms with the chest completing a triangle. Maintain that triangle with a 1/2 to 3/4 swing and a PW and you'll be amazed how consistantly you can strike the ball. I do this and literally hit my previous balls at 110yds. out on the range.

YouTube - Colin Neeman, A Lesson WIth Lynn Blake - Basic Motion

YouTube - Flying Wedge Drill

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.