• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1st round with my new TM r7XD irons

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well they came in on Wednesday and I got one range session with them before playing on Sunday morning...my early perceptions were confirmed.

I am 1-2 clubs stronger with these as a result of lower lofts and newer technology. On my first shot, a 185 yard uphill par 3, I hit a five iron which landed 4 inches from the cup and ran out 12-15 feet.

On the next hole, I was in a fairway bunker and the ball flew out like butter...

These clubs really get it high. I have had a high ball flight my entire golfing life but these get it even higher...

After about six holes, I could care less about the thicker topline and increased offset.

As I said before, I now have to acquire another wedge because the PW with this set is 44 degrees and my Cleveland gap is 54...I won a 48 degree Cleveland on eBay (Sorry MCDavis) and it is coming in this week.

Now I will have 4 Wedges in my bag....44,48,54,60. So I either have to take out the 4 iron or get rid of my 5 wood....which is going to take some time in deciding.

Still love the clubs and am glad that TM discontinued them...I've got $300 in my r7 Driver and only $100 more in an entire set of TM irons that are more forgiving than my old Titleists....

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I noticed the same thing with my Cobra S9's. I'm still getting used to the lower lofts. My PW is also 44*.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Get this loft comparison:

My Titleist DCI Gold 4 iron had a loft of 24, the FIVE iron TaylorMade has a loft of 23.

Now that's really monkeying with the numbers!

I look down at a club and think to myself....'looks like a six iron...pick it up and it's a seven.

I think TM thought they were going to fool some people into believing they had invented some sort of secret power to making the ball fly farther...

I still think that loft-for-loft - it goes about a half a club longer though and its more forgiving and higher ball flight.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Get this loft comparison:

My Titleist DCI Gold 4 iron had a loft of 24, the FIVE iron TaylorMade has a loft of 23.

Now that's really monkeying with the numbers!

I look down at a club and think to myself....'looks like a six iron...pick it up and it's a seven.

I think TM thought they were going to fool some people into believing they had invented some sort of secret power to making the ball fly farther...

I still think that loft-for-loft - it goes about a half a club longer though and its more forgiving and higher ball flight.

lol, i know what you mean. here are the lofts on my S9's:

3 - 20*
4 - 22.5*
5 - 25.5*
6 - 28.5*
7 - 32.5*
8 - 36*
9 - 40*
P - 44*
g - 49*

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I'm glad you like your new sticks, Bravo, but this delofting shit is rediculous. TM might be one of the worst offenders, but they all do it to some degree.

For comparison I will list my 1979 Hogan Apex IIs, then my 2000 Hogan Apex, then 2000 Apex after adjustments by Dana Upshaw:
2iron: 19.5*, n/a, n/a
3iron: 23*, 22*, 21*
4iron: 26.5*, 25.5*, 23*
5iron: 30*, 29*, 27*
6iron: 33.5*, 32.5*, 30*
7iron: 37*, 36*, 34*
8iron: 41*, 40*, 38*
9iron: 45*, 44*, 42.5*
PW: 50*, 48*, 47*
GW: n/a, 52*, 51*

Mine are already 1 club stronger than "normal" and yours are 1 club stronger than that!!!!!

I may have my Apex IIs refinished and reshafted just so I can say I play a 2 iron.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I agree but I have found that if the delolfting is accompanied by replacement clubs that are more forgiving and have a higher flight - I'll go with them.

As I have said before, I'm gonna have to put a 4th wedge in the bag and decide what I am going to do for a 220 yard club - 5 wood or hybrid...

It's going to be a little more complicated than first anticipated but should work out fine in the long run....just adjusting to newer technology and making sure all of the yardage gaps are filled...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Glad you found a matching wedge, and glad you're enjoying the new irons!!

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Isn't it awesome paying with forgiving irons? The first few rounds when I switched over to G2s was a revelation. Didn't last though.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yes I really enjoy having more forgiveness from the irons...my Titleists weren't bad but these are clearly better, while still being workable...

Looking forward to getting a couple of rounds over the weekend and start the process of really understanding the distances...

🔥 Latest posts