• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1st time in Golf Galaxy today...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So if any of you watch the news/weather you will know that the northeast is getting pounded with a nice little winter storm. High winds, snow, ice etc. and it really makes me love living in Vermont (note the sarcasm). Another thing that really makes me love Vermont is the fact that we have NOT ONE single Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy or any other big golf store. We have a Dick's but its pathetic, at least the one near me is. The closest place is a Golf & Ski warehouse about 1.5 hrs away-and guess what they are pushing this time of the year- yes the Skiing part.

Anyway awhile back I found out that there is a Golf Galaxy in Albany, NY, which is about 1.5 hrs from me. It was great to actually see all the latest and greatest equipment. Wasn't all that impressed with most of the drivers, at least as far as looks go. I will say that the Titleist drivers looked very appealing to MY eye from address. Mizuno Irons were nice looking as were the new Cally X forged. I was surprised not to see any cleveland irons or Titleist irons...not sure about that.

In the end it was a good trip, picked up some grips, putter grip, and some Srixon ZURS (24.99/dz) and it was nice to actually not have to pay shipping and wait 5-7 days.

Needless to say I will be making another trip over when I don't have about 20 other things to do in the same day and of course its not snowing like crazy out!

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
yeah i know all about that snow you speek of. here is a pic

<TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 162px; HEIGHT: 166px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: album_picturebit --><TABLE style="FLOAT: left; MARGIN: 5px; WIDTH: 162px; HEIGHT: 166px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallfont vAlign=center align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mr Happy

Oct 17, 2008
Here in the Denver Metro area I am lucky enough to have Golfsmith & Golf Galaxy. I hardly ever go to GS any more. Golf Galaxy is a far better store better selection prices and sales people. One of the few things I miss about living in Southern California is a store called Roger Dunns, they are all over the place there. There is a "super store" in Santa Ana Cal. that was 50,000 square feet of golf heaven. Wish there was something like that here but can't have everything right.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Be thankful that your COUNTRY even HAS a Golfsmith, Golf Works, Global Golf, Dick's sporting Goods or Golf Galaxy.

Best we got here is Drummond Golf or House of Golf and those both charge like wounded bulls (and are 4 hours away for me).

Don't even think about getting components for what you guys are paying for OEM. Thats why I have to shop in the states for my stuff and annoy good people like Azgreg!

In some ways we are the lucky country, but in others we suck balls! :australia

P.S. No offence intended BigJim!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Don't feel like the Lone Stranger BigJim. I live just outside of Jackson,Ms. The friggin capitol of the state. And we don't have a single big golf retail store. We have a Edwin Watts to rip us off, and a Nevada Bob's to mislead us, and a little small mom and pop shop that I do business with when I have to, that's it. If you don't buy a shaft from them they act like they are doing you a favor to pull your old one and install the new one, even though they charge like $40 to do it.

:dead:

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Just don't ever ask any of the employees a complex question about equipment... they'll start drooling on themselves and pass out... or just tell you some line of BS to sell you something.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Just don't ever ask any of the employees a complex question about equipment... they'll start drooling on themselves and pass out... or just tell you some line of BS to sell you something.

I stayed away from complicated questions, I did ask for a roll of lead tape and all they had was strips, oh well.

I did hear one guy tell a customer that the Cally X-whatever tours were not as good as the Mizuno Mp-52's as they were cast and not forged. I was impressed about that, although the customer was looking for forgiveness-can't imagine that the Mizzy forgings are MORE forgiving that the Cally X-22's even the tour version...

blackxpress

May 12, 2008
Enjoy it while you can. Golf Galaxy has been bought out by Dick's Sporting Goods. Lots of changes in the works.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
That figures. I was so impressed with the Golf Galaxy store in Orlando as it just opened up a few months ago and when I went back last week already started to see changes in it I did not like. Used club stock was waaayyyy down from the last trip. Phasing out components and club making supplies except for grips and maybe shafts. I went there to get some grips and some tungsten powder and was told I would have to order the tungsten through the catalog now. There were some component heads, but no putter heads which I was looking for the build my father a putter with.

Ended up driving further north to GS which I was trying to avoid to get the tungsten.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
That figures. I was so impressed with the Golf Galaxy store in Orlando as it just opened up a few months ago and when I went back last week already started to see changes in it I did not like. Used club stock was waaayyyy down from the last trip. Phasing out components and club making supplies except for grips and maybe shafts. I went there to get some grips and some tungsten powder and was told I would have to order the tungsten through the catalog now. There were some component heads, but no putter heads which I was looking for the build my father a putter with.

Ended up driving further north to GS which I was trying to avoid to get the tungsten.

Its funny you mention that, when I asked about a roll of lead tape yesterday they were out. The guy I asked mentioned that they were down on stock and hadn't ordered any in. I assumed it was because it was still WAY early to be truly thinking about playing golf in the Northeast. It makes more sense now if they aren't going to stock many of the club building supplies. That was the main reason for my stop and I only got part of what I wanted...

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Its funny you mention that, when I asked about a roll of lead tape yesterday they were out. The guy I asked mentioned that they were down on stock and hadn't ordered any in. I assumed it was because it was still WAY early to be truly thinking about playing golf in the Northeast. It makes more sense now if they aren't going to stock many of the club building supplies. That was the main reason for my stop and I only got part of what I wanted...

Yeah and now that you mention that... last time I was in the local GG here their golf works section sucked ass bigtime. They had down-sized it to about half what it was the last time I was in there.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah and now that you mention that... last time I was in the local GG here their golf works section sucked ass bigtime. They had down-sized it to about half what it was the last time I was in there.

Not to mention the one I was in had about 15 pre owned drivers, FW's etc and about 4 used sets of irons. Ironically most of the pre owned drivers were the Ping G10, must be somebody up my way didn't like their Ping!

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
My friend is a manager at a GG and they switched to the Dick's values for trades, so they are giving about half of what they used to for clubs, basing it off the PGA value guide rather than Global Golf values. As a result, they are getting far less clubs traded in and the retail that they put them out at is much lower than they used to be so they are selling a lot more.

🔥 Latest posts