• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1st time poster!

golfer1

Aug 1, 2005
Hello everyone:

I found this site while looking for some golf club reviews. I have been playing this great game since age 14, and I just passed the half-century mark. I started with the usual hand me down clubs, you know the kind where nothing matches. My wife thought I was nuts at that age as I used to pull them on a hand cart behind my bike about 5 miles one way to the local public course! I then bought a set of Northwestern's, and then two sets of custom made knock offs. During spring play thsi year, I was starting to become very disenchanted with my game, where I usually score betwen 85 to 100. I've never had much of a problem getting off the tee, but my iron game was as they say "consistently inconsistant". So I was faced with three choices, give up the game, get lessons, or try a new set of the latest technology clubs.

Boy am I happy now! I went to Golfsmith on a Monday and spent a few hours on my own hitting a variety of used and new clubs. I asked someone there about who was the "best" guy to talk to (aka, most knowledgeable) in the store, and after I found out who that was (fellow named Tom) I went back two days later. He spent almost two hours with me and I hit Titilest, Adams, Pings, Taylor Made, Mizuno, Lynx, Callaways, and Cleveland Launchers. Funny thing is I was thinking about buying Titlest or Taylor Mades, but they just didn't work for me.

I settled on the Cleveland Launchers, which he stated were designed for a mid to high handicappers. I have played 4 rounds with them so far and they have really helped me hit the ball much starighter. Not much farther, but very straight! My last 4 rounds ranged from 79 to 89. They were made 3/4 " longer (I'm about 6'2") with a 2 degree offset.

I also added last years Cleveland Launcher 400 Driver which is better than what I was using, which was a 450 CC No-Limits Driver I won in a golf outing two years ago. I nick named it the J-Lo, because it's as wide as her butt!

I'm still searching for a some type of fairway woods, maybe one of those new "Rescue or Halo" types and a good putter.

I'm really enjoying my game again!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
golfer1 said:
I also added last years Cleveland Launcher 400 Driver which is better than what I was using, which was a 450 CC No-Limits Driver I won in a golf outing two years ago. I nick named it the J-Lo, because it's as wide as her butt!

With comments like this, you're gonna fit right in! :D

Welcome aboard!!

R35

parfect

Jun 23, 2005
noob5bk.png

lol im jus kiddin
welcome to shottalk :D

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Welcome.

I love going to golfsmith. You did the right thing by asking who knew the most cause getting the right irons is a big deal.

I'm a little past the half century mark myself and playing the best golf of my life. Not that it's all that good, just better than before. Like Vijay says, age is just another excuse.

Staff online

Members online