• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

20+ yds just from a ball.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
The Callaway rep told me there is less than a yard between the best and the worst golf ball distancewise. He said the spin is a considerable difference though. Said all players should simply play the best ball for their short game they can afford and leave it at that.

Golf Magazine did a robot test about 1.5 years ago with a shitload of balls (about 100 IIRC) and the spread was in the 7yd range with a 95mph swing speed, with the exclusion of the Nike One Platinum. It was WAY shorter than everything else, 17 yards shorter than the longest Nike ball, almost 19 yards shorter than the longest ball in the test (Titlest NXT Extreme.) The vast majority of balls fell within a 4yd spread. With higher or lower swing speeds I don't know if the gaps would remain the same or if they'd change to an equivalent percentage, I guess that depends on what caused the differences in the first place.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I don't care so much about long as I do about straight and green/greenside control. It's gotta roll nice off the putter for me to even consider it. I don't care what they cost (I don't lose alot of balls).

The longest and straightest balls for me off the tee at 108mph SS are:

Callaway IX Tour
Titleist Prov1x
Callaway HX Tour

The longest ball off the tee in my opinion is the HX Hot. But, it's no hell for straight. Not a chance. Goes 400 miles - into the trees. No thanks.

I play ProV1x only because I got them at a great price on a group buy with some friends. Given an option of the Cally's at the same price, they're in the bag instead.

Balls are such an individual thing it's not even funny. Some write up in GD or some other rag won't make me change what works for my game. And I found that out by real world testing.

Get out there and bang around a few rocks. Find what's the best for your individual game.

R35

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
...The longest ball off the tee in my opinion is the HX Hot.

That and the NXT Extreme - but they feel like hitting f'in ball bearings instead of golf balls off the hollow clubs. Then off irons that HX Hot all of a sudden feels like hitting a superball. You hit it with an iron or wedge and you swear it's made of flubber or something. It seems less like playing golf and more like playing plinko or something, because they're just bouncing and shooting all over the place.

Jimc11

Jun 25, 2009
I dont know...maybe it is just me but the new Srixon z-star is a good 10yards shorts than the TM Red and Bridgestone B330's I normally play...and that is through the whole bag...I LOVE the feel of the srixon it is just way shorter in side by side comparison. Im pretty detailed when I plan on testing/switching something...even though I am by no means a great golfer I am still pretty detailed in how I test stuff out..

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I dont know...maybe it is just me but the new Srixon z-star is a good 10yards shorts than the TM Red and Bridgestone B330's I normally play...and that is through the whole bag...I LOVE the feel of the srixon it is just way shorter in side by side comparison. Im pretty detailed when I plan on testing/switching something...even though I am by no means a great golfer I am still pretty detailed in how I test stuff out..

Try the Z-StarX. Supposed to be longer (haven't hit a Z-Star so I can't compare), and seem to be a pretty good ball in my opinion

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
the info in this thread makes me want to use higher compression balls, since I dont have a lot of control.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
the info in this thread makes me want to use higher compression balls, since I dont have a lot of control.
Realize it may come with a slight less ability in being able to hold greens.

My shots tend to do O.K. on the greens, so I stick with 3-piece balls. Although the compression on the one I use is a 70 compression ball I believe. So it actually has a fairly low compression. I also tend to have a fairly aggressive swing with my wedges were I almost feel like I want to tear the cover off the ball, so I get pretty good results with them. Actually ProV1's, while I love the ball, does not hold up well to my wedges. My current one does, and is fairly durable in comparison to a ProV1, and with a lower compress rating.

Just through much trial and error, I have found that I get better control with a 3 piece ball, likely with a slight loss in distance. I think for me it is likely more a result of the 3 piece ball and not the compression. Just seem to get a lot less side spin. I definitely get more control and predictability with my wedges, but again have a fairly aggressive swing.

Just make sure you are not doing so at the expense of how they perform on or around the greens. Or for that matter, one that best suits the preferred area of you games. I want a soft ball that reacts well off my wedges and short game, that remain fairly straight off the tee or anything over a wedge, even if it comes with a loss of distance. So my choice fits my swing and game well.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Best and worst must be subjective and specific. There's a ton of actual testing that suggests there are huge distance differences between golf balls. You know this. The statement is just crazy unless he's referring to some minute circumstance. Spin doesn't affect distance anymore?

He was referring to wedge spin. As for me, I haven't really noticed much difference if I switch to a POS ball over my regular. I might actually hit a Cally Warbird longer than a ProV it seems sometimes but then again I only hit one of those after losing my "2nd to last" Prov OB. Warbirds are the cheapest ball available in the pro shop btw, lol, hence why I find so many.

Personally, I don't agree with his statement and know at lower SS ball can make more of a difference. I do think, however, it's highly overrated. Kind of like when guys say "I can't judge distance with those crappy range balls"... they seem to go the same distance to me?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
"I can't judge distance with those crappy range balls"... they seem to go the same distance to me?

They seem to go about 90% distance to me as well. I thought I was the only one who thought the difference was not substantial hehehehe

Randicap

Mediocre is better
Aug 31, 2006
That's because Platinums are nearly impossible to compress properly. You need 115+ to compress them. Blacks are much more manageable.

Very true. I gained 20 yards going from platinums to TM TP blacks. Lost 20 yards when I switched from nike blacks to platinums. Man are they nice around the greens but SUCK off the tee. 98-103 SS.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
it seems that indeed, there is a kind of magic, in using a Pro-V for putting.

turns out a buddy and his freinds carry a pro-v in their pants pocket, to be used for putting, replacing the cheap ball they hit off of the tee.

from what I saw, they must be easier on your back - to pick up for the "gimmie".

yes we are talking a game of "what do you want on your scorecard" (how about a big arsed D-freaking-Q)

I got your 20yards right here...:p

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I can only surmise that the Prov1X has less driver spin for me vs. the regular ProV. I seem to hit the 1X longer when playing into the wind. I played 27 today and on the same holes playing into the wind I was noticibly longer with the 1X. Add to that I think the 1X checks quicker on the greens and I think that's the ball I'm going to try to play whenever I can.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
ezra76
user_offline.gif

I need a new Futon

Re: 20+ yds just from a ball.
The Callaway rep told me there is less than a yard between the best and the worst golf ball distancewise. He said the spin is a considerable difference though. Said all players should simply play the best ball for their short game they can afford and leave it at that.
That is exactly what a friend of mine who is golf pro was told by the Callaway Rep he talked to. He said the reason some balls are so expensive is because of all the advertising money that is put into them. They all are basically the same distance.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.