• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

200 yard 6 iron?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Is it just me, or are the Pros hitting their short irons insane distances? Have they all had them delofted, or can they really hit a friggin 6 irons over 200 yards? Sergio just hit the green from 207 out with his 6 iron and actually landed it past the pin. Geez :faintthud

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
6 iron is my 200 club. At this elevation though...

They are lower and in rain.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Wow! 6 iron for me is 160 yds. No way in hell could I come close to 200 with it. Had 1 hole today where I was 198 yds out & used my 4w to put it right on the green.

Maybe there is a bunch of behind the scenes shenanigans going on with the pro's & what the lofts on their clubs supposedly are?

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I hit my six iron around 180yds, and I'm definitely not good ;), so I think a player like Sergio Garcia with a much better set of clubs and no using a cheap PD Soft ball would have no trouble reaching 200yds...

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
So I hit most everything 75% of pro distance. I don't swing as fast and I don't shift my weight very well so I hit the ball a bit high, right and short. I remember Jay Haas hitting a 6 iron 185 on the champion tour. So this isn't anything special.

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
I've got a older friend that moved up here from Florida and he used to be a big time club guy for pros. He said that the clubs were delofted, at least Skip Kendall and Craig Parry's were.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
check the WITB of most pro's and you'll see standard, or increased lofts alot of the time. They just have major LAG, amazing ballstriking, and perfect timing.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Psssh... I could find a way to hit a 6 iron 200 yards if i had a straight shot, all over fairway, being able to run it on the green, not that I would do it consistently, but on occasion with a really good skull :laugh:

Seriously though, I am happy hitting my 6 iron 170...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Delofting the club at impact is the major contributor (aka LAG). The average loft at impact for a tour pro is something like 8* less than stated on the iron. So their 6 iron strikes the ball like a 4 iron, 4 like a 2, etc.

Feel better? ;)

That being said, Sergio is an incredible ballstriker (ask your mother), and he swings very quickly anyway. But delofting is the thing. Sometimes you'll see them hit a 6 iron 200, then a 6 iron 170. Trajectory.

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country
United States United States
I hit my 6 about 180, and consider myself a slightly long hitter, or longer than most that I play with with select few of the better golfers.

So 200yrd 6 doesn't suprise me for a pro. I mean they were talking the other day with Tiger flying his 3w 325...... :eek:

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Most pros have their irons delofted im betting, but also between hitting down and delofting at impact, they hit them further.

Also I saw Sergio hit a 6i from 165 today and Padraig a 8i from 130, remember conditions, they were playing in 25-30mph winds at points today.

Members online

No members online now.