• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2007 big bertha question?

stemo

Nov 11, 2007
Bought this complete set of Callaway clubs off of Ebay( x-20 irons, big bertha driver and big bertha fairway wood set. My question is about the woods, have any of you ever seen one of these clubs without the white alignment line? If you order a custom set, is it maybe an option not to have this white line. I really don't think these are fake as the details of the rest of the clubs looks authentic. Also do any of you know of a site where I can check authenticity and maybe the specs of a custom built set of Callaway clubs, as I do have an item# sticker on every club. Thanks

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
welcome to shottalk
I doubt the paint scheme is an option when you custom order - doesn't look good
I would contact callaway directly

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
welcome to shottalk
I doubt the paint scheme is an option when you custom order - doesn't look good
I would contact callaway directly

Yep. Callaway has wonderful customer service and will give you pretty much any info and help you need.

However, when I read "set of Callaway's from E-bay", I cringe. So many fakes sold in sets these days. Don't be surprised if these turn out to be less than genuine.

R35

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
If it's the big betha 460 it should have the white line. however you may have got an older 454 which doesn't. Like R35 said as soon as you say complete Callaway set the alarm bells ring. The only package set of Callaways I've seen in the shops are the ladies GEMs set. Mens Drivers, Irons, Wedges Faieways & hybrids are normally individualy priced. They could have been assembled by somebody used and sold on as a package but if they were brand new I'd be a little concerned. Post the link to the clubs you've bought or try to post some pics so we can help a little more.

Callaways customer services are superb so drop them a line to see if they can shed any light on the matter for you. There is a link on Callaways website to drop them the email.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/en.CLUBS.Drivers.BigBertha460Driver.html

gcinbc

Always up for Round
Oct 15, 2007
Bought this complete set of Callaway clubs off of Ebay( x-20 irons, big bertha driver and big bertha fairway wood set. My question is about the woods, have any of you ever seen one of these clubs without the white alignment line? If you order a custom set, is it maybe an option not to have this white line. I really don't think these are fake as the details of the rest of the clubs looks authentic. Also do any of you know of a site where I can check authenticity and maybe the specs of a custom built set of Callaway clubs, as I do have an item# sticker on every club. Thanks
Hello Stemo
You are right in your suspicions concerning your complete set of Callways from e-bay. Everybody's response to contact Callaway is great advice and if you want to do a quick preliminary check, get a magnet and see if it sticks to the driver and woods. If these are titanium woods the magnet will not stick to the clubs and do the clubs have serial numbers on the hosel of the driver and #3 wood, and on the hosel of the #8 iron? These are only quick checks until you contact Callaway and see if the clubs are legitimate. I hope this helps and good luck.

OP
S

stemo

Nov 11, 2007
PICS

Here are the pics. I took a pic of that white tag by the hosel which is on every club in the set( x-20 irons 3-SW, 5W, 3W and driver) in hope someone can tell me this is standard on a custom ordered set. It shows an item#, a bar graph and description ( IR RH x20 ?P GR REG (?= # which is the same on some clubs but varies from 4 to 9)). Also emailed Callaway golf today, and he told me I should be suspicious as ALL 2007 big bertha woods should have the white alignment line on them, he also told me to go to my local Callaway distributor, which I am going to on Friday. The other bizarre thing is these woods have the callaway X shaft on them, which I believe is the standard graphite shaft for the X20 irons. Hope these pics work, as I've never done this before. Thanks in advance to everyone.
clubs 038 resize.jpg
clubs 039 resize.jpg
clubs 040 resize.jpg
clubs 041 resize.jpg

OP
S

stemo

Nov 11, 2007
The magnet test is a success as the fairwoods are metal and the driver is titanium as it should be. As for the serial #'s their are none but as the callaway site has informed me, their will not be any serial #'s if the equipment was custom ordered.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The stock shaft for the 460 is the NVS from Aldila.

I hope this works out in your favour. Doesn't look good at this point, unfortunately. :(

I bought a fake Odyssey putter and pursued it through Callaway and E-bay and eventually got reimbursed. It took some time, but if you push it, it'll happen.

Keep us posted on this, I'm rooting for you!:)

R35

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Ive never even seen that Cally X shaft before. Not looking good man but like Rock, I am pulling for you. Hope they arent fakes and someone just put cheap ass shafts in them.:)

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
They seem to be missing the entire white line that runs across the top of the clubhead but continues on around the sole, as in this pic:

awww.golfdigest.com_images_equipment_2007_07_eqit02_bigbertha460.jpg

Like WCD and Rock, I've only ever seen that shaft on the X-series drivers and woods, not the Big Berthas

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Hmmm the shaft I had in my stock X460 was slightly different paint job than that. Doesnt matter anyway, all the stock shafts are the biggest POS ever.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Any chance the paintfill was removed?

Also, why not take them to a retail shop and compare them to OTR clubs? They're gonna give you some grief, possibly, but still...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.