• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 Golf Goals?

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
My goals for 2008 are: quailify for match play rounds in Canadian Amateur,Get handicap back to scratch and stick with ONE driver the whole year! I think I'll have the most problem with the last goal.lol

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Here's mine:

- Drop to sub 4 cap
- Break Par
Place 2nd in Jr. and Mens. CC (<y buddy cleaned up in both last year with 145 (+1) in the junior and 143 (-1) in the mens, so it'd be a stretch to aim to win)
- Be under 78 more than not, and under 80 almost ever round.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Thought of a few more for '08.I would like to lose about 20-25 lbs. and hope it will help pick up some extra yardage with the driver.Belly gets in the way:laugh: I will also try to get out more in the evenings when I can play some by myself.Some of the threesomes I've played with lately are rude to the point they putt out as fast as they can and head to the next tee like we are in a race.:real angry:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Golf Goals for 2008
1. Learn to putt!! I have struggled more this past couple of years with the putter than any other club in the bag. Don't know how many time, this past season, I carded 81's/82's, 83's and could count 4 or 5 missed short putts. I am wearing out the carpet this winter. I AM going to learn how to putt!
2. Lose weight! I MUST drop 10 to 12 pounds... and KEEP it off!!
3. Play lots of golf! At my age, it becomes difficult to know just how many strokes the Good Lord put in this body. I played a lot of golf this past year and hope to have the opportunity to enjoy this game for another.
4. Sit quietly in the background, reading the threads on Shot Talk!
  • I just enjoy the sworn oaths to "keep the same bag all year".
  • I enjoy the advice that a certain clubs is the best there is (or ever has been)... today... and see that same poster has traded/sold/tossed/broken that same "holy grail of clubs" the next!
  • I enjoy reading the glory stories of those who think they've mastered this game. Then, I pray those same folk have the maturity and patience to recognize this as a cruel game. I pray they will be able to handle the stresses when this game jumps up and bites them in the behind.... it will! It's only a matter of time!!
  • I enjoy discussions of those persuing the dream of getting better at this game. As I read the dreams of a new driver giving a player more yards and fairways... as I read the dreams of a new irons giving a player more shots landed closer to the pins.. and, yes, as I read the dreams of a new putter greatly reducing the number of putts per round... I see myself, mirrored!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
My goals are as follows, in no particulare order.
Straighten out my slice, I'm hoping the new shaft in the driver will help this.
Drop my average down into the 80's, again, hoping the new shaft will help this.
Learn to not blow up after a bad shot which only leads to more bad shots.
Eleminate or greatly reduce my 2 & 3 putts.
Develop the patience to spend more time teaching this game to my wife.
Play more courses in my area, it's just so easy to walk out the door and play my home course, but I need some diversity.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
"...teaching... my wife... it's just so easy to...play my home course, but I need some diversity.

After a little editing...:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yep, I continue to try to convince my wife a little "diversity" from the "home course" might be in order. For some reason, she doesn't agree!!!!:laugh:

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
I have two goals, first to break 100. Second is to break 90. I'm very confident about the 1st and optomistic about the 2nd.

OP
sandwedge

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Thought of a few more for '08.I would like to lose about 20-25 lbs. and hope it will help pick up some extra yardage with the driver.

I forgot to list that one also. I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months and am going to lose another 30 to really slim down.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Like everyone else so far, my 2008 goals will be to play more consistently at my potential and thus bring down my handicap. This past year was by far my best year of golf thanks to getting some much needed lessons. I finally started shooting in the 80s on a regular basis which brought my handicap down from 20 to 13. I look to continue the trend in the upcoming year.

2008 goals:
1) break 80
2) get the cap under 10

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
I forgot to list that one also. I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months and am going to lose another 30 to really slim down.
Has there ever been a thread about golfers that lose weight and it affects their game? I lost 30 lbs. 5 years ago,(wifes' cooking gave it back,AGAIN)lol.anyways..... I remember that my freedom in the backswing was quite noticeable and therefore some swing changes had to be made.Few other differences.Keep us posted on the weight lose S.W. and I'll do the same.Maybe others could share simular tales.:)Should a separate thread be made for that? I'm new and not sure.Thanks

OP
sandwedge

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Has there ever been a thread about golfers that lose weight and it affects their game? I lost 30 lbs. 5 years ago,(wifes' cooking gave it back,AGAIN)lol.anyways..... I remember that my freedom in the backswing was quite noticeable and therefore some swing changes had to be made.Few other differences.Keep us posted on the weight lose S.W. and I'll do the same.Maybe others could share simular tales.:)Should a separate thread be made for that? I'm new and not sure.Thanks

I will let you know how it goes. I can say that I am able to make a much better turn on my backswing now and I am hitting my driver farther than ever.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
1) Ho less
2) Play more
3) Have fun

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
1) Ho less
2) Play more
3) Have fun

That'll do me too.

I really want to put a few good rounds together this year. A full 18 rather than 15 or 16 and 2-3 shockers. Breaking 80 at my pretty tough home course is a big target for me.

I am remodelling my swing at the moment and by the spring I hope to have it grooved in enough to do some damage. (and not just to my back)

🔥 Latest posts