• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 PGA Merchandise Show

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
There will never be another PGA Merchandise show like your first one. You walk on to a floor just filled with miles and miles of equipment, training aids, golf course architecture, every conceivable golf fashion item, and then a plethora of other items that do not fall into any specific category. You run into to sellers that run the range from a 3 card monty dealer all they way to the Wall Street investor with a line of people just waiting to buy his or her wares. Every booth is trying to catch your eye or, more importantly, a moment of your time in a attempt to get you to pay attention to there product. Products from as lowly as a single golf tee, up to $10,000 USD Scotties, all they way to a souped up fleet of golf carts that will set you back six figures. Everything and anything that is remotely related to golf is there.

Last year was my rookie year at the show and I just about burned myself out trying to get a good look at just half of the floor over three days. This year I walked the floor with a little less lofty a goal. Its just too big to take in all at once.

The 2008 PGA Merchandise show was highlighted by a return of Ping who had been absent from the show for several years. Ping, along with Srixon and Callaway were among the key sponsors that highlighted the equipment area of the show and brought their latest weapons of grass destruction for all to view. Also on the show floor with increased presence this year were Bridgestone and Nickent with significantly larger display areas and each armed with just released equipment that will be shipping out to retail locations near you.

A hot topic at this year's show were the new releases of drivers designed to take advantage of the new club adjustability rules. Both Callaway and Nickent had pre-release versions of their drivers that will take advantage of the new rule. Each company claims that the swing weight remains identical to their standard offerings and will mimic their performance if shafted with a similar shaft. Ping is also on the verge of releasing their version of the quick change shaft concept, but at this time, it is only intended for club fitting purposes and will not be released to the consumer market at the present time. Callaway is marketing their system as a completely modular system. Choose the head (FT5 and FTi) and style (draw, neutral, fade) and mate it to several different shaft offerings. Nickent, on the other hand, is going to release their version in a multi shaft set up focusing on the UST V2 and UST V2 High Launch. Other shafts will be available, but the initial product offering is coming with both versions of the V2 in one box.

One of the most impressive aspects that I found changed from last year was the number of OEM's that are really putting a focus on set make up rather than trying to sell everyone a standard 3-PW set. Bridgestone is offering up its 3 versions of the new J36 irons as a mix and match set that allows the end consumer and club fitter to put the right mix of blades, pocket cavities, and cavity backs in their bags along with some hybrid options. Ping has taken their club fitting system and advanced it into the digital age. Their new nFlight software takes their current fitting information and combines it with launch monitor technology to get hyper accurate ball flight measurements and club to club gap data in order for their club fitter to get you into the right club styles and set make up.

Two of the most impressive come backs at the show this year are MacGregor and Wilson. 25 years ago, they were the top two brands on the planet and were dominating the professional tours. 10 years ago, they had both just about disappeared from the professional golf tours. This year, both are phoenix rising out of the ashes. For Wilson, this is their second year of promoting a new effort to get more tour pros and releasing relevant clubs for all levels of golfer. The fat shaft still remains in ultra game improvement models, but the new lines aimed at the low to mid handicappers are running top of the line shafts in standard tips which will allow a level of customization that those golfers demand. MacGregor's 2008 line up represents a quantum leap from their MacTec line up of the past few years. The 2008 MT line up are some of the nicest looking irons I have ever seen from the MT Muscle backs all the way to their super game improvement line of MT Oversize. Clean, beautiful lines with low key graphics. The look is timeless. Even the larger headed MT Mids or MT Oversize hide their offset well so it still looks like your playing with a golf club rather than a shovel. Simply breathtaking. MacGregor and Wilson just may have recaptured history and we may see their clubs sales jump as a result.

The 2008 PGA Merchandise show was loaded with surprises all around. Several OEM's have stepped up to the plate with incredible club offerings. Component companies such as Golfsmith and Geek are continually gaining ground in their market share, but the OEM's are starting to fight back with improved customization options. If you are to judge the up coming golf year based on the PGA Merchandise show, 2008 is going to be a year of change.

ualtim

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
2008 PGA Show / Odyssey

Posted 01-22-2008 at 05:24 PM by ualtim
For two years running, my favorite putting green to visit at the show has been Odyssey's. It not huge. Its not the flashiest. Its not even in my top 3 favorite putter producers. Why do I like it? They are the only company that sets up an inviting experience with no gimmicky devices or hard sellers waiting to hawk their wares to you. Each year they have set up a simple green of adequate size and speed surrounded by 18 inches or so of fringe. More importantly, they surround the green with a display of their latest putter models which are welcome to pull of the rack and start rolling the rock (OK, they are Top Flite's, but last years D2 Feels and this years Top Flite Gamers have put to bed the term Rock Flite forever). There is always a rep near by if you have any questions, but if your just there to test out the new models, they leave you alone in your putting thoughts. I wish more putter makers would follow their example.

At this year's show I was greeted by a pair of Odyssey new comers unlike any I have putted with before. The Odyssey White Hot XG Saber Tooth and the Odyssey Marxman X Act.

The Odyssey White Hot XG Saber Tooth looks exactly like the name describes it. It is a distant cousin to the 2-ball and a direct descendant of the XG 7 "Fang" from last year. It uses Odyssey's latest White Hot XG insert and takes the perimeter weighting design of the XG 7 a step further and added an additional pair of teeth which makes ball pick up a snap. In the past, the XG insert and I have not always agreed, and the Saber Tooth did not do anything to change my opinion on the insert. I found the head interesting and artistic in my hands, but once I started to roll the ball I remembered why my old 2-ball did not last in the bag beyond a few weeks. The insert is too soft for my tastes and really did not provided the feedback I look for in a putter face. I never found the range or speed control I wanted and put the putter back on the rack. Now, if you love the XG insert, this may be the next best thing to sliced bread to you. It just does not work for me.

The Odyssey Marxman X Act is almost the complete opposite of the Saber Tooth. Where the Saber Tooth had an artistic, pleasing head shape, the X Act had me looking over my shoulder to see if anyone was looking at me with this thing in my hand to avoid embarrassment. The face had an XG insert look to it, so my expectations were low. It took me three days of walking by the green before I gathered up enough courage to go give this thing a test. Much like the Trion Z last year, I fully expected to come back with nothing but negative comments on this "chipper". I was wrong.

I dropped three balls in the fringe and took aim at one of the holes on the green about 15 feet away. First ball, just lips the cup and rolls about a foot away from the hole. That kind of felt pretty good. Ball 2, in the hole. Ball 3 in the hole. Collect all 3 balls and try again. Ball 4 in the hole, ball 5 in the hole, and ball 6 in the hole. 5 out of 6 from about 15 feet out of the fringe. This time I had to put it down in awe. I could not miss with this tool.

I have ridiculed many people for carrying a chipper in the past, but this X Act really works and could help out a bunch of folks who struggle with their chipping around the greens. It set up like a putter and using your normal putting stroke sends the ball off the ground for a short carry distance and then a nice roll to the hole. While I currently can not justify pulling any club out of my bag to carry this club, if my chipping game goes south this could find its way in for a few rounds until I straighten myself out.

Things are not always what they appear to be.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
2008 PGA Show / Lamkin

Posted 01-20-2008 at 07:21 PM by ualtim
Updated 01-22-2008 at 08:26 AM by ualtim
One of the nicest finds, for me, at the show was at the Lamkin booth. Grips are just grips, right? Wrong. Lamkin is introducing two lines of grips this year with some new technology that will help those looking for higher performance grips. The first innovation is the Sting Free grip which has a Kevlar layer in the grip to absorb shock. The outer rubber layer is a modified cross line design with some grip reminder lines, but the real innovation is the Kevlar layer. The Kevlar really reduces the shock transfer from the club to the grip so those with hands that are prone to going numb can complete a round with maximum hand comfort.

The same technology is currently being used in shoe inserts which are also produced by Lamkin. Currently available in four different styles (such as Golf, dress, and spot) Lamkin uses the same shock absorption properties of the Kevlar/rubber combo in the shoe inserts to help reduce foot fatigue. I wanted to try a set, but they were so popular at the show that the majority of sizes had already been cleared out.

The last new item from Lamkin is the one I feel is going to be a top selling grip in the year to come. The grip is the Lamkin Michelin grip and should be available in retail outlet in the next month or so. The grip was co-developed by both Lamkin and Michelin Tire company engineers using some new rubber compounds not normally found in golf grips. In addition, the Michelin engineers dug into their experience from creating tire tread patterns to create a new grip pattern dissimilar from anything you have seen before. Again borrowing from tire tread technology, they designed multiple zones on the grip that are designed differently to enhance the grip traction for the type of hand pressures found in that particular zone. At first appearance, it does not look all that special, but once you put your hand on it you will feel the difference. I have been a Lamkin Dual Density Torsion control fan for the last year, but I may have found myself a new grip in the Lamkin Michelin.

The Sting Free Crossline is currently available, and as expected with the Kevlar material involved, is going to cost around $6.80 a grip.

The Lamkin Michelin is going to be out on the market soon and it will be hitting the retail outlets with a price just a tad higher than the Crossline at $3.10 a grip.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
2008 PGA Show / MacGregor

Posted 01-19-2008 at 06:37 PM by ualtim
One of the brightest spots of the new year is the MacGregor line up. MacGregor has definitely had a corporate shift in philosophy and has returned to their routes of producing some simple and clean iron designs. Every iron in the new range from blade to super game improvement displays ultra clean lines and looks absolutely perfect at address. The blades will remind you of the historic clubs that MacGregor produced for major champions in years past. They are simply breathtaking. Also available are the combo CM model which combines the blades with the cavity backs for those looking for a bit more forgiveness. The MT Prov C (cavity backs) are the full range of cavity backs, but do not be fooled by the name, they are just as beautiful as the blades. The next group of irons in the range are the MT Mids. They may have all the expected looks of a deep cavity, but from address, it looks like a players iron. MacGregor really put the time in designing classic looking irons from address, with all the modern techniques to increase forgiveness and playability built in.

After reviewing the iron lines, I was introduced to the new MT pro wedges made by long time MacGregor designer (38 years) Don White. Just like the iron sets, the new wedges are classically beautiful. They are available in black (which some of the MT irons can be special ordered in) and the satin steel finish. While the lines are indeed classic, the grind is very modern offering increased playability from several different kinds of lies.

I my humble opinion, MacGregor has hit a home run for 2008 and has done its heritage proud. All the products have started shipping and should be out at the retailers this week.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
2008 PGA Show / Bridgestone

Posted 01-19-2008 at 04:58 PM by ualtim
One of the nicest surprises, for me, at the show was the introduction of the Bridgestone B36 line of irons. I walked buy the booth a few times on Thursday, but it was so busy I waited until Friday to stop by and see what was going on.

The new lineup introduces a new way of marketing the irons for Bridgestone. The J36 irons are produced in 3 formats; a blade, a pocket cavity back, and a cavity back. All 3 styles are Endo forged which provides densely packed molecules which translates into softer feel. When getting fitted up for a new set of J36 irons, you can pick and choose what style of iron you want at every step in the bag. Each model shares the same specs across the line so that the blade, pocket cavity, and cavity back 7 iron retain the same loft and visual aspects so that they seamlessly blend together in a full set. The end user can mix say PW-8 in blades, 7-5 in Pocket, and 4-3 in cavity back; essentially any combo you want, you can get.

As you can see, these babies are just begging to be hit. So, now your in the market for some wedges, right? Bridgestone has you answer; the new West Coast Design Studio Copper wedges. The new wedges have horizontal computer milling to help reduce spin on full shots will also increasing spin on partial wedge shots.

The new 2008 Bridegestone line up is quite impressive and should be shipping out to their retail locations soon.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
2008 PGA Show / Srixon

Posted 01-18-2008 at 08:19 PM by ualtim
Updated 01-20-2008 at 06:45 PM by ualtim
One of my favorite finds at last years show was the Srixon WG 504 wedges that I bagged soon after the show was over. It was the first time I had ever hit a Srixon product and it was love at first hit. Srixon made even bigger news in 2007 when it was announced that their parent company was taking over Cleveland Golf and many questions were abound about the presence of Srixon in the United States. Early on Thursday morning I got a chance to ask a few questions of the Srixon rep as the show and he was proud to announce that you will be seeing an increased presence of the Srixon branded clubs in the USA starting in late spring of 2008. He did caution me that it would be a gradually increase in presence rather than a full out onslaught on the US market. Right now, their primary direction of growth is increasing their presence in the local golf clubs.

What can you expect to see when the clubs roll into a golf shop near you? Beyond some of the products I outlined from last years show, there were two new additions to the Srixon line up that I though you would like to see.

The Srixon Pro 100:

Blade fans, you have another competitor on the market. The Pro 100's have classic shape and design that will probably tempt a lot of want to be blade players to part with some cash. The babies are just pieces of art.

The second intriguing addition to the Srixon line up are the WG 706. The WG 706 is an improved version (if that is possible) of the WG504 series. Finished in a satin silver, the club is definitely visually different than the 504's, but taking a look at the grind, there are definitely subtle differences. The WG 706's remain a forged club rather than some of their competitors cast offerings and should retain that feel of the WG 504 that some of us on Shottalk have fallen in love with.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
2008 PGA Show / Golfsmith-Snake Eyes

Posted 01-18-2008 at 07:42 PM by ualtim
Updated 01-19-2008 at 07:10 PM by ualtim
One of my first booths to visit after I had gotten the lay of the land was the Golfsmith booth to check out their new designs. I must say, this year's releases are some of the nicest looking ones they have ever produced. The new Viper Tour Fairways are just gorgeous and the pictures to not even come close to how good they look in person. The all black look is just amazingly clean.

Also on display were the new Snake Eyes forged clubs; the 675XC, 675C, and 675B which are replacing older models. These forged beauties look as sharp as any forged club heads I saw on the floor the whole day. (675C pictured.)

Even more impressive than the new forged irons are the Snake Eyes 655 Tour Milled Wedges. I have the earlier version of the head (653 TM), but the new editions are even nicer. The scoring area has a finely milled surface to help put spin on the ball, and the improved sole design is sure to appeal to low to mid handicappers.

Golfsmith also had several other new models on display, but with the broad appeal of forged cavity back, milled wedges, and new fairway woods I figured I would post these photos up for your review.

Enjoy.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
2008 PGA Show / Trion Z

Posted 01-18-2008 at 12:38 PM by ualtim
Updated 01-18-2008 at 12:40 PM by ualtim
One of my favorite items from the show last year was the Tion Z bracelet that I bought for a test run and review. After just wearing one evening into the morning, my snap-crackle-pop knees felt as good as they were 10 years ago. Since that day, I have kept the bracelet on and I am happy to report that one year later my Trion Z bracelet is working just as well as the first day I put it on. While I am sure there are still some skeptics out there, I am a firm believer in the product as it relates to joint pain.

At the PGA Merchandise Show in 2008, I got to see some advanced copies of their line up expansion, including the Gel Bracelet and Wide Bracelet that will be coming available some time in Spring 2008. The Gel Bracelet is a single strand about the same thickness as one if the bands on the two banded model and is made out of a soft rubbery rubbery gel like substance. The Wide Band version has a neoprene like texture to it and is just a single band, but considerably wider than the original version. As far as performance is concerned, the operate exactly like the original with the magnets and ionization properties that have magically eliminated my morning knee pain.

Both new models should be available in May 2008.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
2008 PGA Show / Crocs

Posted 01-17-2008 at 08:16 PM by ualtim
While wondering around the floor today, I happened upon the Crocs booth. I know about Crocs as leisure footwear and that a few caddies were wearing them on tour, but I was wondering why they would be presenting at the PGA Show so I decided to walk in and see what was going on. The booth was fairly crowded, but once I got to the back I finally understood, Crocs is releasing a new line of golf shoes in the Spring of 2008.

The golf crocs look like the normal crocs you see just about everywhere these days, the basic clog style shoe that has invaded the country in the past few years. The noticeable differences include the adjustable band at the back of the foot for a more secure fit, and of course, the sole with soft spike style built in cleats. The golf crocs will be available in a few different colors as well as mens and womens size options. The expected retail on the crocs is $40 USD.

While they will probably not pass the traditional leather shoe sales, they are a quite comfortable casual alternative for the casual round of golf or hitting some balls at the range. For those on the traditional style, crocs is working with Byte Golf in producing more conventional styles using some of the same technology they put into the croc clogs.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
PGA Show 2008 / Pure Strike Golf

Posted 01-17-2008 at 07:58 PM by ualtim
I ran into Michael Pomfret of Pure Strike Golf purely by accident. I stopped into the Turf Tiles Booth to see how their business had progressed since last years show and was introduced to Michael as he was the European distributer. In addition to distributing Turf Tiles, Michael was also selling the Pure Strike putter. What sets this putter apart from just about any other putter on the planet is its loft which is set at negative 1 degrees. Combined with the negative loft, there is also a concentration of mass behind the sweet spot and higher up on the face. The Pure Strike is only available in center shafted / face balanced models in standard lengths from 32" to 34".

Well, the proof of any putter is in how it rolls the ball, so I settled in with a 32" model and starting rolling the ball on the Turf Tiles to see how it performed. After taking a putt or two to work off the rust, I started rolling the ball incredibly well. The negative loft and high weight really seemed to get the ball rolling with topspin right of the face of the club. I must have hit 15 to 20 putts with the Pure Strike and never had a ball skip on me, just pure top spin roll.

At the current time, the only way to get a Pure Strike putter is direct through the company located on the web at Pure Strike Golf. The company is UK based and will ship both to the UK and US addresses.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
PGA Merchandise Show 2008 / Annika

Posted 01-17-2008 at 06:48 PM by ualtim
Updated 01-22-2008 at 06:29 AM by ualtim
I was able to get some audio recordings to go along with some photos from today's question and answer seesions with Annika Sorenstam and Callaway. There is a brief presentation of an award prior to Callaway prior to the Q&A, but the majority of the recording is Annika.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The PGA Merchandise Show 2008

Posted 01-16-2008 at 04:41 PM by ualtim
Well, it is kind of like Christmas Eve in that its the night before the 2008 PGA Merchandise Show. In many ways, I can not wait until they open the show doors tomorrow morning and lay my eyes on the largest collection of golf equipment most of us will ever see. You know, clubs, bag, shoes, gloves, shirts, pants....:laugh:

As I write this, I am charging up my batteries for the camera, adding extra batteries for the voice recorder, cleaning out my notebook of all my useless stuff from work, and getting ready to go to bed early this evening to hopefully get over my cold so that I will be in top form tomorrow at the show. I will be wearing my 2008 Shottalk.com hat:

so if your at the show and see me wondering around, come over and say hello. I am pretty sure there will not be too many overweight, middle aged men running around the show with that hat so chances are it will be me underneath it. :D

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Nothing new here, just moving my blog information over to the forums before the blogs disappear.

🔥 Latest posts