• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 GD Hot List...

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I know it is not out yet and i know most people hate the list anyway but there is some gossip which I find very interesting.

Wilson Staff irons got into the list, and so did Scratch Wedges.

Its great to see new brands (new to the list at least) are entering the impossible list reserved only to big spenders. Great to find smaller companies are doing their job and have at least turned the eye of the big guys in the business...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
It's not a surprise. I think Wilson has a great model in their products. Great value for the price.

And the Scratch is again not a surprise. Scratch is slowly and surely going to end up taking my bag over. It's quality stuff, even the cast wedges. It's custom, without the extremely massive price tag.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I'm surprised, not due to the quality of their products (I play Wilson Irons for example), but due to the fact they never seemed to reach the Hot List for whatever comercial or personal reason there was, specially since "demand" has become one of the aspects for evaluation.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Ok, here is the list in case someone wants to have a look at it...

Drivers

Gold.
R9
R9 460
Ping G15
Adams speedline Fast 10
Calaway Diablo Edge
Callaway FT-IZ
Cleveland Launcher DST
Cobra S2
Cobra ZL
Nike Str8 fit VR tour

Silver
Callaway FT-9
Mizzy MP-630 fast track
Titleist 909 D2/D3 and separately the 909DCOMP
Tour edge Exotics XCG3

Fairways

Gold
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour
Ping G15
TM R9/R9TP
Titleist 909F2/F3

Silver

Adams Speedline fast 10
Callaway FT-IZ
Cleve Launcher DST
Cobra S2
Mizzy MP Titanium
Ping i15
TE CB3 tour

Hybrids

Gold
Adams ideaA7/A7OS
Cally Diablo Edge tour
Cally FT-IZ
Cleve launcher DST
Ping G15
TM rescue TP

Silver
Adams Idea Pro Black 9031
Cobra Baffler rail H
Mizuno Clk
Ping I15
titleist 909H

Irons GI

Gold
Adams idea A7
Callaway diablo forged
ping G15
TM Burner
TM R9
Titleist AP1

Silver
Callaway X22
Cleveland CG7 BLK Pearl
Mizuno-MX300
Nike SQ Machspeed
Powerbilt Citation CS ?????

Irons Super GI

Gold
Adams Idea A7OS and A7OS Max
Callaway Diablo edge
Cobra SZ MAX
Mizuno MX-1000
Wilson D-FY

Silver
Cleveland HB3
Nike slingshot

Irons Players

Gold
Mizuno MP-58
TM R9 TP
Titleist AP2

Silver
Callaway X-22 tour
cleveland CG7 TOUR BP
fourteen TC-910 Forged
Ping i15
Srixon Z-TX
Titleist CB
Wilson staff FG Tour Forged

Wedges

Gold
Cleveland CG15/CG15 DSG
Scratch 8620
TM TP FXT
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

Silver
Adams watson (The $99 3-piece set???)
Callaway X-Forged
Mizuno MP T-10
Nike VR Forged
Ping Tour-W

Putters

Gold
Ody White ice series
Ping IN-series
TM Itsy Bitsy Spider
Titleist Cameron SS Kombi
nike Method
Ody Black series tour designs
Ody White ice series
Ping IN Series
titleist SC cali series
titleist SC Studio select

Silver
Never compromise NCX-RAY SIGMA
Ping JAS series
Rife Deep Blue
Bettinardi BB series
Heavy putter Light weight series (Heavy-Light weight????? hehehe)
Ping IWI
TM Rossa core series
Yes MOI series

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Hmmm...looks like all the major manufacturers are on the list. Does that mean what we've known for a long time. They all make good stuff.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Hmmm...looks like all the major manufacturers are on the list. Does that mean what we've known for a long time. They all make good stuff.

I can bet on you for 2011 Hot List the newest Callaway (FT-IZXCRL) and Taylormade Drivers (R11 Super Hexa Limited TP or something like that) will be on the list, and the 2011 Sotty Cameron Line.
Now a days every mayor brand company makes top of the line equipment, and every time technological differences are less "different". Is just a matter of taste. I'm sure the G20, TM Tour Pro Double Burner, Cleveland Launcher Plus, Titleist 959 D4 will all work great in the future and will share the market on a matter of publicity/taste rather than technical differences.

Just look at the balls now. The Pro-V has always been the marker, and it never had any competence at all. Now playing a Pro-V, B330, Penta, Iz Tour, U-Zstar makes not much of a difference....

Phana24JG

Phana24JG
Nov 10, 2009

Am I being cynical or do all the "Gold" winners happen to have hefty advertising budgets?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
No.. They all do. They are all major OEM's who have been around for a while, have massive R&D, Tour presences and generally make decent stuff.

With the exception of a handful, they've all been popular as hell, and it's no surprise.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Am I being cynical or do all the "Gold" winners happen to have hefty advertising budgets?

I'm sure all the gold ones are awesome products. I think the problem is not which ones ARE included because I'm sure they are top of the line, but which ones are nt taken into account due to R&D or marketing restrictions...

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
It is lists like that why component makers seem to always be looked down upon by a great deal of the golfing public. Wishon has made the list off and on for a while, and I think Geek made it 2 years ago. (I am sure that there are others, I just don't remember/pay that close attention.) However, you cannot tell me that none of the true quality component makers wouldn't make that list if the list was completely impartial. Not a single one of Geek's, Wishon's, Bang's, Infiniti's, Alpha's, Tour Swing's, SMT's, or any of the several I know I am forgetting isn't at least equal to a "silver"?!?!? I don't buy that for a second, especially if performance per dollar spent has any meaning (and I think that that would be one of the biggest considerations an average golf consumer would care about). Sure, they may not have high marks in "demand", but their performance marks would be good, and their value marks would be off the scale.

Also, still no shafts list? Not that that list wouldn't be dominated by the big shaft companies too, but you'd think that Golf Digest by now would have at least listed their favorite 10 or so.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Does anyone actually give a shit what Golf Digest puts in their list? It's a total crock & how they include "demand" as a judging criteria is unknown to just about everyone. How is demand determined??

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I don't buy that for a second, especially if performance per dollar spent has any meaning (and I think that that would be one of the biggest considerations an average golf consumer would care about). Sure, they may not have high marks in "demand", but their performance marks would be good, and their value marks would be off the scale.

Here is one of the most important points: Cost/Benefit. Surely an R9 Super Tri with a Matrix Black Tie Shaft is a monster and deserves gold, but, at $1000 a piece, does it make such a difference from a $100 Nakashima head? I will bet the R9 / MAtrix is a better combo, but 5 more yards for $800???

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I thought I'd give this thread a bump. Did anyone trial any equipment in the 'gold' category but were suitably unimpressed? Alternately, did you find a 'silver' piece of equipment that you think should have been a 'gold'?

(see post # 4 for the list)

🔥 Latest posts