• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 Handicap Goals

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
United States United States
That's strange, how do you build these clubs that force me to swing them properly? And force me to aim properly, or choose the correct club, etc.

Clubs don't lower anything. You still have to hit them.

Confidence probably has more to do with their success after being fitted than the clubs. If someone believes the clubs are better, they will play better regardless of the clubs.

The same goes for a lot of things. Fishing is a good one, give a guy a rod and reel that he believes is better or he is more confident in, he will fish harder and catch more fish. I've seen it many times. And its not because the rod and reel are catching more fish.
Maybe I don't explain things well. Ask Tom Wishon or Ralph Maltby the effect having clubs that fit properly for length, flex, lie, loft, swingweight, total weight, grip style, and grip size has on the golf swing and how it automatically improves ball striking, as opposed to using clubs that don't even come close to fitting someone properly, as in those bought off-the-rack. These two gentlemen know more about golf clubs than all of us here put together, and they both have forgotten more about golf clubs than I know, so I recommend reading anything you can find by these guys. Yes, it takes a lot more than the right clubs to score lower consistently, but an immediate improvement can normally be expected when the clubs fit the golfer.

Hell, I can catch a mess of fish with a cane pole and a gummy worm. Golf ain't fishing.o_O

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Maybe I don't explain things well. Ask Tom Wishon or Ralph Maltby the effect having clubs that fit properly for length, flex, lie, loft, swingweight, total weight, grip style, and grip size has on the golf swing and how it automatically improves ball striking, as opposed to using clubs that don't even come close to fitting someone properly, as in those bought off-the-rack. These two gentlemen know more about golf clubs than all of us here put together, and they both have forgotten more about golf clubs than I know, so I recommend reading anything you can find by these guys. Yes, it takes a lot more than the right clubs to score lower consistently, but an immediate improvement can normally be expected when the clubs fit the golfer.

Hell, I can catch a mess of fish with a cane pole and a gummy worm. Golf ain't fishing.o_O

Steve, I gotta say I am impressed. You have gone toe to toe with two of our more shall I say "opinionated" members and haven't lost your cool or backed down! Clark and Nut have been testy lately, I chalk it up to being trapped in a snow covered wasteland for the last 6 months with nothing to do but clean their guns! :) I know because VT is pretty much a gray mostly snow covered wasteland at this point too!

Welcome again to the board and I will say you will fit in nicely around here!

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Fitted clubs DO help. I need to get refit... I know that I play better with clubs I have built with proper shafts, loft and lie that's right, and having the right grip. I don't play well with my Rocketballz, because they are ALL STOCK with the exception of the grips.

Just say'n

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Fitted clubs DO help. I need to get refit... I know that I play better with clubs I have built with proper shafts, loft and lie that's right, and having the right grip. I don't play well with my Rocketballz, because they are ALL STOCK with the exception of the grips.

Just say'n
I would tend to agree, even if the only advantage is in your head. That confidence in knowing your clubs fit you well will help your scores. We all know how much golf gets in our heads right?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't disagree that fitted clubs help. I never said they didn't help.

The pure fact of having fitted clubs, however, by itself, doesn't lower handicap. Never has, never will. You can't prove that it does. It gives you a better opportunity but it can't score for you.

That's my point. He was pretty adamant that the clubs were lowering the cap. They're not. The golfer is lowering their cap with the clubs. You put a shit swing on an off the shelf club, or a perfectly fitted club, it doesn't matter. A shit swing is a shit swing regardless of what you're swinging.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

I never said golf was fishing....you didn't read that thoroughly did you?

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
I never said golf was fishing....you didn't read that thoroughly did you?
I said that clubs help lower scores, which they do. I also said that they weren't all that was required. Of course you have to put in the effort, make changes, etc. for long lasting results. But custom fit clubs can help those who slice horrifically, for instance, to no longer slice the ball, without a single swing change, but by fitting them for a 4° closed face angle driver.

My point about the fishing pole was that fishing poles don't have anything to do with catching fish. I've caught plenty of fish with an old Zebco 202 spin cast in my younger days, and never had a fancy rod and reel. You can either fish or you can't. The same isn't true when it comes to golf. You're not trying to lower your score in fishing, therefore custom fitting for fishing gear is not at all comparable to custom fitting for golf equipment. You were equating fishing to golf as far as custom fitting goes, and it was totally illogical to make such comparisons.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I said that clubs help lower scores, which they do. I also said that they weren't all that was required. Of course you have to put in the effort, make changes, etc. for long lasting results. But custom fit clubs can help those who slice horrifically, for instance, to no longer slice the ball, without a single swing change, but by fitting them for a 4° closed face angle driver.

My point about the fishing pole was that fishing poles don't have anything to do with catching fish. I've caught plenty of fish with an old Zebco 202 spin cast in my younger days, and never had a fancy rod and reel. You can either fish or you can't. The same isn't true when it comes to golf. You're not trying to lower your score in fishing, therefore custom fitting for fishing gear is not at all comparable to custom fitting for golf equipment. You were equating fishing to golf as far as custom fitting goes, and it was totally illogical to make such comparisons.

Given enough time and practice someone could play at 100 percent of their abilities without custom fit clubs. At that point changing their clubs to be fitted would probably drop their scores.

We agree that starting with fitted clubs is best. Im simply saying that custom fit clubs don't automatically make someone instantly better.

Also, you can either golf or you can't. I know people that can't hit a golf ball regardless of the club that's in their hands. Also Im pretty sure tiger could shoot par on most courses with off the shelf clubs.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
My goal for the season is 18 ... without custom fitted niblicks.

San Diego Steve

Mar 14, 2013
Country
We agree that starting with fitted clubs is best. Im simply saying that custom fit clubs don't automatically make someone instantly better.
They might not be better golfers, but they usually do post lower scores right away. Are you saying that all of my customers over the last 20+ years who reported immediate improvement in their scores were lying to spare my feelings?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
They might not be better golfers, but they usually do post lower scores right away. Are you saying that all of my customers over the last 20+ years who reported immediate improvement in their scores were lying to spare my feelings?
Possibly.

More likely though is the fact that the mind is an amazing thing and if you believe you will shoot better with fitted clubs, you will shoot better regardless of the clubs.

This would be a fantastic double blind study.

I would would be willing to bet if you fit 10 people honestly, and fit 10 other people but gave them standard clubs, all of them would tell you they shot better on the next round.

🔥 Latest posts