• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2014 New Drivers.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I know what you're saying and tend to agree, but it's not like a lot of the guys/gals swinging a club on the links has ever been fitted nor will they ever. Nor should a lot of them really because the variations in their "swing" from one to the next or one day to the next is probably greater than the amount of adjustability anyways... and they don't probably care that much. People serious enough to try to build a repeatable swing may just get fitted and that would be the target market for the approach you speak of. The rest of them (us?) they'll sell the tinker toys to and let us adjust away trying to fix Godawful swings. If this years model don't fix it, next year's is sure to with some added distance. Old tricks same as the new...

But, the point of the fitting is to best fit you into a club that suits your swing.

Putting a bandaid on a gaping wound isn't really fixing the problem. And neither is swapping out the 4g toe weight for a 8g.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
But, the point of the fitting is to best fit you into a club that suits your swing.

Putting a bandaid on a gaping wound isn't really fixing the problem. And neither is swapping out the 4g toe weight for a 8g.

R35

I think what he's saying is that amateurs swings change...so if you get fit, it may not fit you next month.

I know that if I were fit more than a year ago this would be my case, my swing was drastically different than it is now. The vast majority of amateurs aren't going to want to spend the money to get fit every year. I know I wouldn't.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I think what he's saying is that amateurs swings change...so if you get fit, it may not fit you next month.

I know that if I were fit more than a year ago this would be my case, my swing was drastically different than it is now. The vast majority of amateurs aren't going to want to spend the money to get fit every year. I know I wouldn't.

So instead, you're going to keep changing the variables? That makes no sense.

If your swing is deviating that much, it wouldn't matter what you were starting with in the first place. We're talking about minor, minor impact on the ball. Weighting and face rotation are not going to fix swing flaws. Face angle can help, but as stated, it's a band aid for the underlying issue.

Read Wishon's "Search for the Perfect Driver" and then come back to this thread. That dude knows a thing or two about golf clubs, and he'll be the first to say that weight shift in clubs like this does dick all. And, a person of ANY skill level should put some stock into being fit.

Those that won't invest in their game are just never going to get over the hump. They're constantly adjusting variables and changing clubs at random and they will never find a cure.

Fun? Sure! Effective? Hardly.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

If your swing is deviating that much, it wouldn't matter what you were starting with in the first place. We're talking about minor, minor impact on the ball. Weighting and face rotation are not going to fix swing flaws. Face angle can help, but as stated, it's a band aid for the underlying issue.

Read Wishon's "Search for the Perfect Driver" and then come back to this thread. That dude knows a thing or two about golf clubs, and he'll be the first to say that weight shift in clubs like this does dick all. And, a person of ANY skill level should put some stock into being fit.

Those that won't invest in their game are just never going to get over the hump. They're constantly adjusting variables and changing clubs at random and they will never find a cure.

R35

I agree with you completely. I believe this is more about giving the customers what they want, regardless of whether it's actually going to help their game or not.

I believe amateurs should invest in coaching before intensive fitting. No sense in fitting them to an over the top swing with negative angle of attack, and they coach them out of it. Putting the cart before the horse IMO. I may be wrong.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yep. This tech and gimmicks are all about lining the pockets of OEM's. Pure and simple.

If you like gimmicks, all power to you. But please don't tell me how much they have improved your game. That's just nonsense.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
If I was in the market of selling stuff to people...I would make them whatever they wanted.

Lining my pockets is the reason I'm in business.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country

Pretty much.

R35
I agree on all counts. I'm not saying it's right... just that it is what it is.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Has anyone been reading this BS about Taylormade creating a non-conforming line of clubs for the "everyday joe"?

Have we come so far that people are no longer interested the game itself, that they won't practice or expect to be good without guidance? They want to invent a new sport where they can just go out a buy a game?

This is lunacy.

I'm sure it won't go anywhere, and purists will drop that shit like IG's parking lot underwear, but FFS...seriously?

R35

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Has anyone been reading this BS about Taylormade creating a non-conforming line of clubs for the "everyday joe"?

Have we come so far that people are no longer interested the game itself, that they won't practice or expect to be good without guidance? They want to invent a new sport where they can just go out a buy a game?

This is lunacy.

I'm sure it won't go anywhere, and purists will drop that shit like IG's parking lot underwear, but FFS...seriously?

R35
I've heard that too but I don't think Taylormade has confirmed it. If they do start rolling out nonconforming clubs its not because of demand, imo, but just another marketing ploy. All of their BS marketing has been very successful though. I don't like it but I don't like 460 cc clubheads either.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I almost posted exactly that, but went with:
Pardon my limpalong moment but... look at all those adjustable and expensive whatsits. Makes me wish we were back in the days when you had to learn how to actually work a club, not just swing it. Kids these days are good, but Goddamn are they soft.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The price of the R1 has come down dramatically to where I might try one this year. I've seen total hacks hit the snot out of that thing. And I'm a total hack..... I think even limp has one now.

🔥 Latest posts