• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2014 PGA Championship: Louie Hits It Longest

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - My first drive to Valhalla Golf Club for the 2014 PGA Championship was better than expected. A kind person let me in on the Indiana side of the I-65 bridge that crosses the Ohio River. I then got on I-71 north and was pulling into Valhalla's main gate on Shelbyville Road much sooner than I expected.

That was a relief.

British Open champion Louis Oosthuizen had an even better drive at Valhalla on Tuesday. The South African won the long-drive competition with a poke of 340 yards.

If you haven't heard of the long-drive contest, that's because the PGA of America just brought it back to the PGA Championship festivities after a 30-year absence. It's a good year to bring it back, too. The first one held by the PGA was here in Louisville at Big Spring Country Club way back in 1952.

How it worked: Players' drives were measured on the par-5, 590-yard 10th hole. Drives had to land in the fairway to be counted.

You might wonder how the PGA Tour's longest hitter fared in the competition. Bubba Watson announced last weekend that he wouldn't participate. Instead, Bubba teed off with a 3-iron on the 10th.

As long as Louie hit it on Tuesday, Jack Nicklaus hit his even longer when he won the long-drive contest in 1963 at Dallas Athletic Club. Using a persimmon driver and a wound golf ball, Nicklaus drove one 341 yards, 17 inches.

"It was a great gallery favorite," Nicklaus said about the long-ball competition last Thursday.

Jack won a money clip. Fifty-one years later, so did Louis.

LONG DRIVE RESULTS

1. Louis Oosthuizen 340 yards

2. Jason Day 338 yards

3. Johan Kok 337 yards

4. Gary Woodland 330 yards

5. Rickie Fowler 328 yards

6. Keegan Bradley 326 yards

7. Danny Willett 322 yards

8. Adam Scott 320 yards

9. Sergio Garcia 320 yards

10. Scott Piercy 320 yards

Source: 2014 PGA Championship: Louie Hits It Longest

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Bubba Watson hit a 3i on that hole.
You didn't read the article did you? :p

Bubba is such a baby. He said himself that he plans on hitting driver on that hole during the tournament. His reasoning was that he was there to practice for the tourney, not play games. Well, how is hitting a different club than what you plan on using during the tourney going to help? All because he didn't like being told what to do. Reminds me of the time his caddie told him to use a 7 iron on a par 3 because he might come up short with an 8...so Bubba pulls an 8, hoods it, then hits it over the green on purpose.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Bubba Watson hit a 3i on that hole.

From the original article:

'You might wonder how the PGA Tour's longest hitter fared in the competition. Bubba Watson announced last weekend that he wouldn't participate. Instead, Bubba teed off with a 3-iron on the 10th.'

Members online

No members online now.