• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2015 British Open Discussion Thread

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Spieth is right where he needs to be. I guess he figured out the course just fine even though he played in the Deer last week. Just like Tiger at the turn of the century, he has been in the zone for an amazingly long period of time and shows no sign of losing it.

His caddy just needs keep him away from Perkins....

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Spieth is right where he needs to be. I guess he figured out the course just fine even though he played in the Deer last week. Just like Tiger at the turn of the century, he has been in the zone for an amazingly long period of time and shows no sign of losing it.

His caddy just needs keep him away from Perkins....

How about this Dunne kid? he's on fire! Jordan is right where he needs to be and I can't help feel bad for DJ...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
DJ played better playing with Spieth. Sergio played better playing with Spieth. Everyone loves playing with the kid, maybe there is something to that. Look out for whoever gets paired with him tomorrow.

Dunne having a round of a lifetime. Not sure if he can keep it up for the final round. I bet he doesn't get a minute of sleep tonight.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Quick fact, the amateur Dunne has only made 2 bogeys over all 3 rounds. Now that's solid links golf. He's done it for 3 rounds, can't see why it won't continue tomorrow.
Has any amateur won the Open before?

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I was going to ask my friend Google, but thought I'd ask the brains of ST first.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
OK so here's my thoughts on this year's Open to date:

1. There is no rough!! Our course is brutal, you drive it in the rough, you find it and you gough it out. At St. Andrews it seems light and whispy, you seem to be able to get a full shot at it, no issues. I thought they would have made it more penal than that.
2. There was no wind yesterday! The biggest defense of the course is the wind. Yesterday's becalmed conditions meant that the course played like a pitch and putt. The greens are exceptional so these guys had a birdie fest yesterday. I'm really surprised that no-one went lower than 64. The only defense the Old Lady has is the pin placements but even then with the greens soft and the guys hitting short irons in, these can be "got at".
3. What a performance by the young Amateurs, especially Dunne. Considering the strength of the field I would be more than surprised if he came through this, but so far he has proved everyone wrong. Given that the crowds will be a lot less today, it may work in his favour. I hope he wins or at least gets the silver medal.
4. Jordan Speith - he has not played exceptional golf (yet) but he's right there. He is the best putter on the planet these days so he has to be red hot going into today and it would be great to watch a slice of history! But Ooosty, Rose, Jason and about 10 others are right there. A 66 from any of them could see a nice Claret Jug up for grabs.
5. Rain and a breeze today should make things interesting. Wind coming from South East will make it downwind on the front nine and into the wind on the back. So once again scores will come on the front side and players will have to hold on over the back. Hopefully the heavy rain stays away as it is not great for TV, but I would love to see a fireworks finish.
6. I say -15 wins it. And who I hear you ask? Well as a patriotic Irishman, I say Dunne or Paddy Harrington. It will be the guy with the hottest putter.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yep the early guys out so far are making it look very easy. A lot of birdies on the front 9 from most players.
I'd expect to see close to -20 for the winning score.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.