• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2016 Ryder Cup

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
This McElroy/Reed match is some of the best competitive golf the World has seen in a long time!!! Match each other on long birdie putts. Each with "in you face" gestures. Then, tap fists and put arms around each other and walk to next hole. That's Golf!!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
McElroy there to congratulate Michelson. I'll be a long time fan of Patrick Reed after his emotional performance today. But, have a much improved opinion of Rory.

Michelson has 10 birdies on the round and only gets half a point??!!! Sergio played about the best I've every seen him in competition. Snends... Ryan Moore... Just some gutsy play today. I took about 1 hour away from the television to mow the lawn. Other than that, watched the entire day... until the USA won back the cup. Now, I'd like to go back out and play another 18 this afternoon. I LOVE GOLF!!!!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Congratulations USA, you played better golf and deserved the win. Some great golf, some disappointing from a European perspective. Some weak links in the team for sure. Willett and Westwood just didn't turn up. I'm sure Russell Know and Paul Casey were watching with interest.

One sour note was the behavior of the 'so called' fans. It got out of hand too many times, drunken idiots shouting out obscenities, personal stuff fueled by alcohol. It needs to be dealt with or it will get worse. It's not football. I understand the role of home crowd advantage but too many European players were verbally abused. Eject these idiots and ban them from future events.

Anyway back to the positive, I'm glad USA won, it will add a lot more spice to the next game in Paris in 2018. And golf won as well, some outstanding golf over three days. And as for Patrick Reed, he's a lock for a Major now. That first nine holes was unbelievable!

Last edited:

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I saw exactly ONE shot of the Ryder Cup. Patrick Reed hooked it into the trees. I figured it was all over for the Americans at that point. :D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Much of the "entertainment value" was in the emotion shown by the players. Golf goes from being a quiet, laid back, 'gentleman's game' to team competition as in other sports. Yes, the fans were waaayyyy over the line. There MUST be some sense of decorum. I was hyped by the USA team, but sadly disappointed in the behavior of the fans.

Listened to some of the Dan Patrick show during my 5-hour drive this morning. He pointed out that many of the gestures of Reed and McElroy to the crowd would be flagged in the NFL. And, perhaps the players did go overboard along with the fans. I just liked seeing the display of emotion as putts were made and wedges stuck close. What I didn't like was to hear the fans applauding an errant shot by the European players. Applauding errant shots should be reserved for me on the mornings when 25 cent bets are on the line in our regular group!!!!

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Read somewhere that the US team shot 117 under par. I'm not sure how they came up with that as not all the holes that were started were finished.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It's kinda funny. When golf was first played in Scotland, big money foursome matches drew huge crowds. You would get the likes of Tom Morris and his son Tommy challenging other pairs to matches, where there huge sidebets among the gentry. These games would be publicized with full page ads in the newspapers of the day and attract 100K plus supporters. Here's an interesting extract of a fictitious interview with Tom Morris:

We like to think that poor crowd behaviour is a modern phenomenon but in 1855, when playing Willie Park at Musselburgh you left the course, with the referee, because the partisan crowd were kicking your golf balls – in favour of Mr Park. How bad was it?

What you have to remember is that in those days is we played challenge matches. There has always been gambling on the golf course – in fact, it’s very appropriate that they play for the claret jug today because we used to play for cases of claret and the like. That’s why two ball foursomes were so popular because you could gamble from hole to hole. In strokeplay you really only have one bet – who’s going to win. All the hype would go out from the merchants that there would be these big money matches so the crowds became excitedly involved and that’s how that sort of thing came about, because money was changing hands all the way down. There was drinking, too and people would be shouting out at the top of your backswing.

So it's not exactly a new thing.

Members online

No members online now.