• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2016... Your year on the course.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Did you get to play at all this year?
If you did play, was it an enjoyable year on the course?
Was your game better than last year or ..... well....
Why?

IOW, how the heck did 2016 treat you on the course??

My game was up and down... but mainly up. Had some really enjoyable rounds with some great guys. When you are enjoying the company, the game just seems easier.

I kept the same driver in the bag all year. Got used to it and we've struck up a fairly good relationship. I know what it can do if I do my part. Just playing fairway golf has made the game easier.
Going to the game improvement irons has made a difference. I am just now getting used to the various distances. Should have ditched the AP's earlier, but thought I was good enough to play them well. The Big Berthas are just like having a bag full of hybrids. Today, I don't think I felt one ball leave the clubface.
The Callaway Big Bertha fairways were one of the best buys in a number of years. If I do make much of a change in the bag, it will be picking up a matching 7-wood. I really enjoy the 3 wood and the 5 wood.
Us old geezers have to have a short game. The wedges have been pretty good. Weak spot has been the putter. Fought the #7 White Ice and the #9 White Hot Pro off and on all year. Went to the Anser 4 a couple of rounds. Just seem to always gravitate back to the old My Echo and it works. Made some putts today that were unbelievable. Have not been totally in love with the Super Stroke Fatso grips on the #7 and #9. The #9 is similar design to the My Echo. Think I'll pull the Fatso off... lengthen the #9 by 1"... and go back to a more standard grip. May split the difference between the Fatso and a standard size.

Right now, plan on being totally retired by Valentine's Day. Wanting to see how many weeks/months the old body can take 6 to 7 days/week playing this ridiculous game.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Did you get to play at all this year?
If you did play, was it an enjoyable year on the course?
Was your game better than last year or ..... well....
Why?

IOW, how the heck did 2016 treat you on the course??

My game was up and down... but mainly up. Had some really enjoyable rounds with some great guys. When you are enjoying the company, the game just seems easier.

I kept the same driver in the bag all year. Got used to it and we've struck up a fairly good relationship. I know what it can do if I do my part. Just playing fairway golf has made the game easier.
Going to the game improvement irons has made a difference. I am just now getting used to the various distances. Should have ditched the AP's earlier, but thought I was good enough to play them well. The Big Berthas are just like having a bag full of hybrids. Today, I don't think I felt one ball leave the clubface.
The Callaway Big Bertha fairways were one of the best buys in a number of years. If I do make much of a change in the bag, it will be picking up a matching 7-wood. I really enjoy the 3 wood and the 5 wood.
Us old geezers have to have a short game. The wedges have been pretty good. Weak spot has been the putter. Fought the #7 White Ice and the #9 White Hot Pro off and on all year. Went to the Anser 4 a couple of rounds. Just seem to always gravitate back to the old My Echo and it works. Made some putts today that were unbelievable. Have not been totally in love with the Super Stroke Fatso grips on the #7 and #9. The #9 is similar design to the My Echo. Think I'll pull the Fatso off... lengthen the #9 by 1"... and go back to a more standard grip. May split the difference between the Fatso and a standard size.

Right now, plan on being totally retired by Valentine's Day. Wanting to see how many weeks/months the old body can take 6 to 7 days/week playing this ridiculous game.
I got to play every month of the year this year, which is fantastic!

I enjoyed the year, went through a couple of equipment changes throughout the year (surprise surprise). Had a few up and down rounds but overall I got better and my scores improved.

The shining star in my bag this year has been my putter. After seeing how well Henrik Stenson putted with his Odyssey #7 I just had to have one and it has really been a winner for me.

My driver and fairway woods have become good friends, I know what they are going to do if I put a good swing on the ball and don't see a switch coming anytime soon.

I am regripping a set of Ping i3 blades tomorrow and will put them in play on Thursday but I don't see them knocking the Mizzy's out of the bag.

My best buddy is also my normal playing partner which make the bad rounds good and the good rounds even more fun. I have also had a lot of great rounds with my son and he really enjoys the game, so I'm hoping for an even better 2017 on the golf course. :D

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Played every day it didn't rain (and some where it did). Scores went up this year. Tougher course, older golfer. Am working on some mechanics that might get me some yards back and stop me from chunking shots. I have a practice club I swing over the winter. Still is enjoyable to be alive and able to play this frustrating game. When the stars align and the golf gods smile it's truly rewarding. 2015 I shot par for the first time in my life and 9 holes of it was under par. Didn't come close to that in 2016 but I know somewhere inside this old body I can still do it. Keeps me coming back in any case. Probably will try to get some lessons with jhmeg2 this spring also. He fixed my sand play last summer and really knows the golf swing. Am going to try a new course membership this year that doesn't have the brutal greens that Waushara CC does. Two Oaks North which is on the other side of Silver Lake that Waushara is on. Wished I had PaPaD's money so I could get south and golf this winter. The next three-four months are going to drive me nuts living up here in the tundra. Right now I'm having a Tom and Jerry. Tastes pretty good. Carry on.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
My final round was played in early November, which is pretty good considering. Not really sure if I played any more or less than I did in 2015, but I played as much as I could. Surprisingly that will also be my goal for 2017, once this snow melts...

Went through some of my collected stats of the 2016 season, Thank you Garmin and GolfLogix!!

Avg. score - 80
FIR - 56%
GIR - 41%
Avg. putts/round - 34
Avg. putts/green - 1.76

I also had two rounds recorded in the 70's, but also carded a 91... And I remember that round!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
It seems that I progressively play less and less each year. This year was no exception. I played less than I ever have (since I picked up the game). Been crazy busy. When I was able to play I performed surprisingly well for my standards. I made an eagle the last time I was out on a long par 5. Hit 3 wood to maybe 10 -15' and lucked in the putt. That's the only thing that really stands out for me. I did win a long drive contest in a charity scramble which was really cool because the prize was a baseball bat. So yeah, I can summarize my golf season with just a couple sentences. Hopefully I'll get to play a little more this year. It's tough though since my wife is traveling now for her career. Being He-Mom makes it difficult to play much.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
It seems that I progressively play less and less each year. This year was no exception. I played less than I ever have (since I picked up the game). Been crazy busy. When I was able to play I performed surprisingly well for my standards. I made an eagle the last time I was out on a long par 5. Hit 3 wood to maybe 10 -15' and lucked in the putt. That's the only thing that really stands out for me. I did win a long drive contest in a charity scramble which was really cool because the prize was a baseball bat. So yeah, I can summarize my golf season with just a couple sentences. Hopefully I'll get to play a little more this year. It's tough though since my wife is traveling now for her career. Being He-Mom makes it difficult to play much.
Gotta make time for yourself, be it golf, cigars and beer or wood working. :D

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Gotta make time for yourself, be it golf, cigars and beer or wood working. :D
Eh, I enjoy my time with my boys. I'm content. Although, I did get an amazing Christmas present from a good friend that I have yet to try out (a 12 yr old bottle of Pappy Van Winkle). Bet it will go great with a good stogie. So I need to make time for that soon.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Eh, I enjoy my time with my boys. I'm content. Although, I did get an amazing Christmas present from a good friend that I have yet to try out (a 12 yr old bottle of Pappy Van Winkle). Bet it will go great with a good stogie. So I need to make time for that soon.
I don't drink liquor but I've heard Pappy is fantastic! And I totally get spending time with the boys. I'm super stoked one of my boys is into golf!

Members online

No members online now.