• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2017 NFL Season Thread

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Chiefs still only undefeated NFL team at 4-0. Good game. 'Skins still could easily be a playoff team.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Good game, obviously not a 9 point game. A lot of injuries, which sucks.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Limp, I couldn't agree more.

While I will always stand with my hand over my heart when the national anthem is sung and pay respect for those who fought for our freedom, it is others right to not if they so wish.

That's what freedom is.

They fought for your right to decide to do it or not. Not letting people express by kneeling or whatever they want to do, is disrespecting what those fell fought for.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
They fought for your right to decide to do it or not. Not letting people express by kneeling or whatever they want to do, is disrespecting what those fell fought for.
Agreed.

free·dom
noun
noun: freedom
the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.

I unconditionally disagree with kneeling during the national anthem but because we are a free people...people can do that if they want to.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

I’m still struggling to find that pivotal point in history where the “right” to kneel during a national anthem was created. Simply because it’s not there. There’s no such prescribed right.

I blame dumb media reporting for letting the misdescription of this so called “right” to continue. It served their end for letting the misconception to continue.

Standing during the national anthem is an expectation based on convention. The convention being that standing is a show of respect to the flag, as its symbol of the nation state. It is a ceremonial act.

It’s similar to the convention of standing and staying silent during a minute’s silence ceremony to remember someone who has passed. The is no right to, for example, play the trumpet or dance the Macarena as an act of protest during the minutes silence.

Given that the act of kneeling is capable of control (eg. ejecting a kneeler) it’s easy to see that it’s not a right in the true sense. Rights are capable of protection. There is no remedy open to protect a kneeler from being ejected.

A reason why this sham continues to have the appearance of a “right” in the true sense, is that those with an actual “right” (stadium owners, NFL team owners) elect not to exercise it. Yep; the holders of an actual right elect not to “kick da bum” out of the stadium or off the team.

Which is a shame; I would’ve loved to have seen Kapernick’s shenanigans nipped in the bud from the first time he did it.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
It’s similar to the convention of standing and staying silent during a minute’s silence ceremony to remember someone who has passed. The is no right to, for example, play the trumpet or dance the Macarena as an act of protest during the minutes silence
In America you absolutely have the right to do that. You'd be an asshole if you did it, but the right is yours.

Rights are capable of protection. There is no remedy open to protect a kneeler from being ejected.
In America, that's an infringement of that person's 1st Amendment rights.

A reason why this sham continues to have the appearance of a “right” in the true sense, is that those with an actual “right” (stadium owners, NFL team owners) elect not to exercise it. Yep; the holders of an actual right elect not to “kick da bum” out of the stadium or off the team
See my previous response. The Constitution overrides the NFL.

Which is a shame; I would’ve loved to have seen Kapernick’s shenanigans nipped in the bud from the first time he did it.
Which would have been awesome since Kaep would have sued the holy shit out of the NFL, and won.

These aren't "shenanigans" and these aren't "shams", this is the United States Constitution at work. This is people using their highly public platforms to bring awareness and hopefully change to civil injustices and racial inequalities.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The entire kneeling issue would have been done by only a few players and have, probably, faded away fairly quick... until a certain person had to use Twitter to make a big deal of it. Once the teammates were called SOB's and the owners told to fire them, then the protests became personal. What was a few trying to bring notice to the social injustice suddenly was turned into an entirely different issue by the "Twitter-in-Chief". This, too, will go away and all will get back to "normal"... whatever normal is. Drawing attention to this, however, is even now affecting high school sports teams. Some high school kids have been kicked off teams and parents are litigating school districts. Other schools are "interviewing" those kids who say they want to kneel and, if convinced it is a freedom of speech issue are being allowed to.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
December 15, 1791. It's literally the First Amendment to the Constitution.

Nope. If the kneeler was ejected or fired, if it was an actual legal “right”, the kneeler would be able to take legal action to remedy the “wrong.”

I think that the concept of “freedom” is actually being misunderstood. There is no absolute freedom to do what one wants when one wants. It is simply the case that western democratic countries are “free-er” than countries with different political systems.

In many instances freedoms are regulated by licenses and permits. No permit, no demonstration. No drivers license, no drive da’ car. No permit, no gun. The list goes on.

Again, I wish the media would guide public debate better. It knows these concepts. But instead entertains and even facilitates factually incorrect propositions. Perpetuating a hysterical debate makes “good TV.”

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Nope. If the kneeler was ejected or fired, if it was an actual legal “right”, the kneeler would be able to take legal action to remedy the “wrong.”

I think that the concept of “freedom” is actually being misunderstood. There is no absolute freedom to do what one wants when one wants. It is simply the case that western democratic countries are “free-er” than countries with different political systems.

In many instances freedoms are regulated by licenses and permits. No permit, no demonstration. No drivers license, no drive da’ car. No permit, no gun. The list goes on.

Again, I wish the media would guide public debate better. It knows these concepts. But instead entertains and even facilitates factually incorrect propositions. Perpetuating a hysterical debate makes “good TV.”

You're misunderstanding what the constitution does. It protects the people from the government.

The first amendment means you cannot be arrested for kneeling, or speaking poorly of trump, or anything you say or write. The second amendment means you cannot be jailed for owning a firearm. If I went into work and just yelled 'fvck your mother' every 3 seconds while otherwise doing my job better than anyone else in America, I can rightfully be fired for that. I cannot be jailed, but I can be fired. Likewise, the workplace can restrict my second amendment rights as well. I'm not allowed to carry a gun at my current work place, and I can be fired if I'm caught doing so.

It does not mean that you can say whatever you want and continue working somewhere. That's a private contract between two individuals and can be terminated for most reasons...except those that are considered by the government to be otherwise such as your gender, sexual orientation, color of your skin, etc. Which, on the basis of freedom, I disagree with, but that's another discussion.

Basically, the constitution has nothing to do with society, and everything to do with the individuals rights when it comes to the government.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
You're misunderstanding what the constitution does. It protects the people from the government.

The first amendment means you cannot be arrested for kneeling, or speaking poorly of trump, or anything you say or write. The second amendment means you cannot be jailed for owning a firearm. If I went into work and just yelled 'fvck your mother' every 3 seconds while otherwise doing my job better than anyone else in America, I can rightfully be fired for that. I cannot be jailed, but I can be fired. Likewise, the workplace can restrict my second amendment rights as well. I'm not allowed to carry a gun at my current work place, and I can be fired if I'm caught doing so.

It does not mean that you can say whatever you want and continue working somewhere. That's a private contract between two individuals and can be terminated for most reasons...except those that are considered by the government to be otherwise such as your gender, sexual orientation, color of your skin, etc. Which, on the basis of freedom, I disagree with, but that's another discussion.

Basically, the constitution has nothing to do with society, and everything to do with the individuals rights when it comes to the government.

Wish I could like this twice! It is a very truthful and well thought out point and is 100% correct.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
There are public order offenses that exist and apply. Want to kneel in front of a funeral procession to protest Trump? It’s not going to end well for the protester.

Rights to protest are not without limitation and are balanced against other rights. Eg. Eclark’s right to prevent Antifa protesting in his living room.

I’ve enjoyed the debate. I enjoy hearing other viewpoints so now I’ll go back to spectating this kneeling lunacy as it continues. They’ll tire eventually and it will slide into regrettable history.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.