• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2018 Masters Discussion Thread

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Reed's wife is a tiny little thing. She carried his bag while caddying for him during his early years on Tour. Exemplifies the saying, "Dynamite comes in small packages." She went unconscious with a gran mal seizure and came within seconds of drowning. So many good human interest stories.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I DVR’d and just finished watching.

My take:

Reed is a gamer, did what he needed to to win. Congrats and good on him!

Rickie is a true gentlemen and always stays to congratulate. His game is solid and you never know if he made a great shot or a terrible shot. Awesome to see!

Same can be said for Bubba. May be my new favorite player. Cool scene off the 18 green!

Rory played well but his putter let him down. Maybe he needs an Evnroll. ;)

Rahm is a force but until he gets his temper in check he may struggle to finish at majors.

Spieth is amazing and will always be a contender at Augusta. He may end up with a record number of green jackets.

Tiger still has game but looked tired this week, personal drama will be his Achilles Heel. His body seems right but the mental game seems to be lacking.

What a Masters!

P.s. congrats Limp!

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I thought this Masters was a snoozer. Nice to see rickie make it interesting. I am not a Spieth fan boy so maybe that is why.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I DVR’d and just finished watching.

My take:

Reed is a gamer, did what he needed to to win. Congrats and good on him!

Rickie is a true gentlemen and always stays to congratulate. His game is solid and you never know if he made a great shot or a terrible shot. Awesome to see!

Same can be said for Bubba. May be my new favorite player. Cool scene off the 18 green!

Rory played well but his putter let him down. Maybe he needs an Evnroll. ;)

Rahm is a force but until he gets his temper in check he may struggle to finish at majors.

Spieth is amazing and will always be a contender at Augusta. He may end up with a record number of green jackets.

Tiger still has game but looked tired this week, personal drama will be his Achilles Heel. His body seems right but the mental game seems to be lacking.

What a Masters!

P.s. congrats Limp!
Excellent analysis. Woods said he's taking some time off. Will work in the gym in the meantime. That's not going to improve his short game or mental game. He's also got this latest "ex-suit" to get settled. His off course sexrobatics can't be a positive for his ability to focus on his game. It was good to see him competitive. There was the anticipated fanfare as he played the first couple of rounds and made the cut. The commentators, however, did not fawn over him like they have in the past. Woods deserves the accolades for what he did for the Game and for his accomplishments. I look forward to him competing on his own schedule and seeing him on some future leaderboards. It just does not appear he will be able to enjoy the prowess he once had vs. this cadre' of super young players we enjoy watching today.
Really enjoy Fowler, especially those blacked out Cobra irons... and his attitude.
Spieth can beat any other player out there if he can get his mental state to that "killer attitude" instead of being the nice boy next door as he wanders down the fairway.
I really wonder if Rory will ever achieve that 4th win for the Grand Slam. Just does not seem to have the closer ability.
You know my feelings on Bubba. He's just wired differently. He and his wife are very caring people. We "normal" people will never understand how the brain works of those gifted with a different thought process than we enjoy. From brains that work differently to arms and legs that work differently to differing genetics and backgrounds... we're much better off enjoying those differences than frowning at them.

Can't wait to get to the course tomorrow and shape shots like Bubba, putt like Patrick Reed, hit irons like Spieth, and keep smiling like Rickie.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Did you notice Reed "plumb bobs" before he putts? I've sworn by that because it works! This year I'm going to have a line on my ball and see if I can hit it on my line better. Think I'll go out to the range tomorrow and use their practice putting green. It's supposed to be sunny and 63° F Thursday and I've got a 1:00 tee time.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Did you notice Reed "plumb bobs" before he putts? I've sworn by that because it works! This year I'm going to have a line on my ball and see if I can hit it on my line better. Think I'll go out to the range tomorrow and use their practice putting green. It's supposed to be sunny and 63° F Thursday and I've got a 1:00 tee time.
Wish I could learn the plumb bobbing process. Have tried but to no avail. If I could accurately read putts, would score so much better. My putts, for the most part, aren't from a bad stroke. They miss because I misread the putt.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Wish I could learn the plumb bobbing process. Have tried but to no avail. If I could accurately read putts, would score so much better. My putts, for the most part, aren't from a bad stroke. They miss because I misread the putt.

Nothing worse than having a foursome of plumb bombers in the group in front of you

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Confidence is everything. I told my son Reed would win Friday because he was rolling with confidence and his short game is tops. If you're mentally cocky you will perform better. I try to teach my boys to be humble on the outside but warriors on the inside.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
Nothing worse than having a foursome of plumb bombers in the group in front of you

Ha ... it's the group playing a Nassau that holds everybody up. Got to grind over that 2 footer that's worth a buck.

Don't ask me how I know this.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Spieth can beat any other player out there if he can get his mental state to that "killer attitude" instead of being the nice boy next door as he wanders down the fairway.
I really wonder if Rory will ever achieve that 4th win for the Grand Slam. Just does not seem to have the closer ability.

Limp, a couple of things. I disagree on Speith. I have never come across a more calculating, strategic golfer as him. And that's a compliment, not a slur. I've always found it hard to warm to him, but he has an excellent golfing brain and a killer instinct. He knew exactly what was going on down the stretch. He rode his luck and in fact was a little unlucky on 18, but he really got it going. What a win that could have been.

As for Rory, he rode his luck on Saturday, the wrong day to do it. From that missed putt on 2 on Sunday, he felt uncomfortable. The body language, his timing, everything was a bit off. For him, it will count as a collapse. A 68 would have won him a green jacket, not a huge ask. But he'll win again. Too good not to.

I was majorly impressed with Rickie. I thought early on he had bottled it (again!) but he fought back so well and ended up being the closest challenger. He was Mr. Ice all day long and didn't show any emotion. And agreed, it was a particularly classy thing to do, shaking Reed's hand at the clubhouse. Many would have sulked off.

As for Mr. Reed. Well, he's not the most affable chap. But in fairness, he played like a tiger. He hit some amazing shots and holed a lot of crucial putts. His two-putt on 17 was awesome. He handles the heat particularly well and he handed Rory his lunch. A worthy winner.

And overall it was an awesome Masters. Once again it had all the elements of a great tournament. After the rain of Saturday morning the scores started hotting up, which makes for great viewing.

In my mind, it easily tops the others Majors. Roll on 2019!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Interesting back story on Reed.

How Patrick Reed Became Golf's Latest Villain

I didn't realize he had so many skeletons in his closet.
A GREAT read! I had heard most of what the article contained, but not in that detail. The article gives one a little more sense of how Patrick is so good in what becomes match play. He loves going against... and defeating... a competitor where most are working to defeat the course. Hearing him retell the story of finding his wife unconscious in the bathtub and the partnership they seem to have formed at least lets us know he's got a heart in there somewhere. Reed was fired up, yesterday, knowing he was the underdog... the bad guy with the black hat. He thrives on being an underdog and taking down those who more popular or higher rated or those supposed to defeat him.
Patrick Reed... Bubba Watson... I guess I just rooting for the "bad guys". Maybe that is too much a window into my own warped mind..............:rolleyes:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Limp, a couple of things. I disagree on Speith. I have never come across a more calculating, strategic golfer as him. And that's a compliment, not a slur.

As for Mr. Reed. Well, he's not the most affable chap.

In my mind, it easily tops the others Majors. Roll on 2019!

We ARE blessed with so much talent on Tour right now. Spieth does strategically think through each and every shot. Sometimes, I have to wonder if he does suffer from "paralysis by over-analysis". He and his caddy try to nail down each shot to inches... not feet. I AM a fan of Spieth and the excitement he has brought to the Game. That round yesterday....... Wow!

Spieth/Reed.... This shapes up as the old good guy/bad guy competition enjoyed by galleries for decades. How different could you find two competitors who both have proven they have the talent, mental capacity, and natural ability to win at the highest level of a sport.

Spieth: Tight with his family. Dotes over his handicapped little sister. Married his high schools sweetheart. Exudes the "aw shucks" attitude of a Kucher. Strategically thinks himself around a golf course.

Reed: Very troubled younger years. Kicked off one golf team. Never worked well with teammates. Estranged from his family. Disliked by most every peer from high school on. Gamesmanship, often described as pushing the lines of proper golf etiquette, of a Seve. Prefers "hand-to-hand" combat with competitors rather than strategically defeating a golf course.

The more down-to-the-last-putt exhibitions we see from his group of talented players, the more interest we will see in this Great Game!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online