• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2018 Open Championship Discussion Thread

Dufferpauly

Jan 23, 2018
Country
United States United States
They are waaayyyy short on moisture this year... just like we are in Kansas! Our fairways are still mostly green but it's taking between 250,000 and 325,000 gallon of irrigation water daily to keep them so. One of the local courses in town uses City water for their course. The past two months their water bill has been almost $60,000! A course a few miles down the road has assessed each of its members $100/month until the drought softens. Some have even left the course rather than pay the additional costs for water. What are they going to do? Go play the goat track down the road?
I don't know if Carnoustie even has an irrigation system for their fairways. Is there a water restriction in the area? It's links style golf. Links golf is typically flat and fast fairways with pot bunkers along the way to grab the "runner". Did think it was interesting when they showed Justin Leonard dribbling a basketball on one of the fairways this morning.
Personally, I sorta like the change. IMHO, we've become spoiled here with the manicured, plush courses. When golf was born, sheep and goats were the "mowers". The Game has come a long way. Carnoustie has played an important part in the history of Golf for a couple hundred years. I'd love to have the opportunity to play it.

Well, I get your point, but I don’t want my NFL guys playing both ways in leather helmets...I like green grass and trees and lush conditions...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I was camping all weekend, no service whatsoever. I heard that Tiger actually LED for a minute? Wow!
Closest I've seen to him being able to "will" the ball in the hole on putts since Shanksgiving. If it hadn't been for those two consecutive holes where he found the left rough off the tee and had trouble with the recovery shots, Johnny Miller would have wet his pants.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Closest I've seen to him being able to "will" the ball in the hole on putts since Shanksgiving. If it hadn't been for those two consecutive holes where he found the left rough off the tee and had trouble with the recovery shots, Johnny Miller would have wet his pants.

^^^this. 11 and 12 at +3 kept him from hoisting the claret jug. One major but he looked like the Tiger of old. It was fun AF!!!

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
That’s true but IMO he has a lot left in the tank. This weekend showed that.
A lot is a relative term.

I think he will win again on tour, but I think a major is unlikely at this point. These young guys grew up dreaming about playing Tiger. The are not like the guys Tiger won against who were in awe of him.

T

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

A lot is a relative term.

I think he will win again on tour, but I think a major is unlikely at this point. These young guys grew up dreaming about playing Tiger. The are not like the guys Tiger won against who were in awe of him.

I personally don't think he will win a PGA Event/Major again. He has really struggled to close events he had a chance of winning, on several occasions - not to say I would be surprised if he won but I just don't think he will. Showed some glimpses of the Tiger of old however the reality is he is far far from who he used to be and will never ever be that Tiger again. For the record, I hope he wins. Just wouldn't bet on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Tiger is playing very well for a 42 year-old PGA pro with multiple back surgeries who dominated the game for years and set a bunch of records and was at the top of the rankings longer than anyone and only had one player in history win more majors than him. I actually thought he was going to win The Open. I was not rooting for him, but I really thought he might pull it off. Then those 2 holes happened.............

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Father time has caught up with Tiger. You are not the same guy at 42 you were at 22.
..........................at 66 too. I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good ONCE as I ever was. :cool:

535.gif

🔥 Latest posts