• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2018 Open Championship Discussion Thread

T

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

..........................at 66 too. I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good ONCE as I ever was. :cool:

I think, based on post tournaments interviews, that Tiger knows that was his chance. Big opportunity lost and he may not get it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
I think, based on post tournaments interviews, that Tiger knows that was his chance. Big opportunity lost and he may not get it again.

I think he has a way better chance at winning on a fast rolling links course (teeing off with irons) than on most any other venue. If you wanna beat Tiger, just make sure he uses his driver.

T

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

I think he has a way better chance at winning on a fast rolling links course (teeing off with irons) than on most any other venue. If you wanna beat Tiger, just make sure he uses his driver.

Totally agree. IF he wins another Major it will be The Open.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I love we can have a civilized discussion on this. A lot of times discussing Tiger is like discussing religion and politics.

As a fan (realistic fan mind you) I believe he’ll win another major or 2 but won’t catch Jack. A decade in turbulence will be the cause of the undoing of what was once a foregone conclusion.

But...I wouldn’t be shocked if he still caught/passes Jack.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
If he wins another major, I am thinking it will be an Open Championship or a Masters. US Open is too demanding on his driving game, where the Open Championship he can get away with irons and stingers off tee and the Augusta is more forgiving of a wild driver.

I am thinking Father Time is rapidly closing the door on both Tiger and Phil’s chances for majors. Not saying that they will not win another major, buts the odds are getting longer.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
If he wins another major, I am thinking it will be an Open Championship or a Masters. US Open is too demanding on his driving game, where the Open Championship he can get away with irons and stingers off tee and the Augusta is more forgiving of a wild driver.

I am thinking Father Time is rapidly closing the door on both Tiger and Phil’s chances for majors. Not saying that they will not win another major, buts the odds are getting longer.
I'd say his only chance is the Masters, if anything.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I love we can have a civilized discussion on this. A lot of times discussing Tiger is like discussing religion and politics.

No. I’m right. You’re wrong.

I think the Masters is his best chance. I still remember that he went close to winning it in 2010 when his life was in turmoil after being clubbed by Elin.

Mickelson is a good example. I wrote him off about 5 years s ago; then he goes and wins another major.

Never say never.

T

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

No. I’m right. You’re wrong.

I think the Masters is his best chance. I still remember that he went close to winning it in 2010 when his life was in turmoil after being clubbed by Elin.

Mickelson is a good example. I wrote him off about 5 years s ago; then he goes and wins another major.

Never say never.

In 2010 he was younger, healthier and better. 8 years later he is older, a lot less healthier and not the golfer he once was. I remain firm in feeling his only chance is The Open. And it's a thinning chance.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
In 2010 he was younger, healthier and better. 8 years later he is older, a lot less healthier and not the golfer he once was. I remain firm in feeling his only chance is The Open. And it's a thinning chance.

That’s why I used Mickelson as an example. When Tiger ‘s life imploded, Mickelson had #1 there for the taking but he started to slide also. And Mickelson did slide, horribly.

Mickelson was never destined to win the Open because it doesn’t suit his game. Bump and runs suit links courses, not flop shots and flashy 64 degree lofted wedge shots.

Then he wins the Open and but for Stenson he would have two to his name.

Tiger can win the Masters but he has to show us that he can win a couple of PGA Tour events first.

T

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

That’s why I used Mickelson as an example. When Tiger ‘s life imploded, Mickelson had #1 there for the taking but he started to slide also. And Mickelson did slide, horribly.

Mickelson was never destined to win the Open because it doesn’t suit his game. Bump and runs suit links courses, not flop shots and 64 degree lofted wedge shots.

Then he wins the Open and but for Stenson he would have two to his name.

Tiger can win the Masters but he has to show us that he can win a couple of PGA Tour events first.

Do agree that the first step is closing out a PGA Event or two.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Difficult... Impossible to predict the body and mind of another. IMHO, I think Woods will win a couple more PGA tournaments. Used to be the big names didn't play in the "Silly Season" after the PGA. The Tour is moving the PGA to earlier in the year and Woods can play some of the later events that have weaker fields. On certain courses, he will still contend. In certain fields he will contend.
As far a majors, I am less assuming he will win another. The major championships draw the best of the best. There are a plethora of today's Tour players who can win any event any day on any course. I would believe the PGA or the Open Championship would offer him the best chances. Those are usually more open and forgiving fairways. They change courses so one course may set up for his game. I don't think The Masters is a set up that fits his current game. He is still not back to putting like in his heyday. Augusta demands a putter that is not balky in the least.
Regardless, Woods will elicit discussion, analysis, and arguments amongst the sports industry for years to come.

T

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Used to be the big names didn't play in the "Silly Season" after the PGA. The Tour is moving the PGA to earlier in the year and Woods can play some of the later events that have weaker fields. On certain courses, he will still contend. In certain fields he will contend.
I would be incredibly surprised if Woods enters a silly season or weak fielded event. I just don't see that happening.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.