• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2019 The PGA Discussion Thread

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Is there a specific rule that says you must walk? I found references to things like "as a general rule..." but nothing concrete such as "Rule 13.2.b states players must walk..."

The Martin case was back in 2001. How many players have you heard riding in carts since then? I've heard of zero. It was also for Q-School which was famously physically demanding. He was also good enough to compete but needed a cart due to a physical disability. The USGA has a provision for players with disabilities but ADA protection is going to trump other rules every time.

As for John Daly, he requested the cart because he has arthritis in his knee, not because he's fat.
PGA rule for their competitions, not USGA rule of golf.

ADA shouldn't trump private voluntary competitions, IMO. That's not how freedom should work. That's my argument. Obviously the courts disagree with me. If he wants to create another golfing association where people can ride carts, or play blindfolded, or use golf ball cannons or whatever rules he wants to imply, then please, feel free. But forcing a private entity to allow you a competitive advantage? That's wrong. Again, IMO.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
As for John Daly, he requested the cart because he has arthritis in his knee, not because he's fat.

He may have arthritis in his knee BECAUSE of his self abusive lifestyle. Carrying all that weight is tough on the cartilage. If a player is not physically able to compete in a sanctioned event, he should withdraw, not ask for accommodation. These precedents will open a can of worms that may never be close-able.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I don't hate Casey Martin either, I simply think the whole thing was a waste of time. Like previously said, abide by the rules or don't play. But, he takes it to the Supreme Court, makes a production, spends taxpayer dollars, and then doesn't really even compete. Waste of time.

I feel bad that he has that much talent and a disability robs him of a real chance, but I still don't think he should be given different treatment.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
As an afterthought on the Daly cart situation, I was discussing it with my wife (nurse) as they showed Daly on hole 2. Apparently, since the venue is a public course, they have to provide ADA accommodations. On a private course, they can not enforce ADA rules. Not sure if that is what lead to Daly getting a cart relatively easily compared to the struggles/lawsuits of Casey Martin, but it would leave the PGA in a legal bind as it is a public venue and fully subject to the ADA laws.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
As an afterthought on the Daly cart situation, I was discussing it with my wife (nurse) as they showed Daly on hole 2. Apparently, since the venue is a public course, they have to provide ADA accommodations. On a private course, they can not enforce ADA rules. Not sure if that is what lead to Daly getting a cart relatively easily compared to the struggles/lawsuits of Casey Martin, but it would leave the PGA in a legal bind as it is a public venue and fully subject to the ADA laws.
Sort of playing devils advocate here....So John Q. Public can just walk right into a PGA tour event?

Seems like the course is 'closed' to the public for that private event. One must be a member, or buy a ticket, for the privilege of attending.

Just like I can't walk right into a private clubhouse without being a member(generally speaking).

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Holy shit Brooks Koepka! Nice round!
bethpage-black-sign.jpg

FMT-KoepkaPGA-AFP.jpg

"I got this"

upload_2019-5-16_11-20-16.png

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Sort of playing devils advocate here....So John Q. Public can just walk right into a PGA tour event?

Seems like the course is 'closed' to the public for that private event. One must be a member, or buy a ticket, for the privilege of attending.

Just like I can't walk right into a private clubhouse without being a member(generally speaking).
Does not matter if it’s a private event, it is a public venue funded by public tax dollars. I am not saying I agree with it, but by playing at a public venue it tied the PGA’s hands when it came to ADA laws.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Why I love the Masters....no bababoohee, no get in the hole, and none of that other fan nonsense. Earlier rounds were quieter at Bethpage, but as the afternoon has wore on the annoying fans have started to multiply.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
D2FCFE61-9684-4B93-89FC-7ADFDC7413F8.jpeg

Ladies and gentlemen, now on the tee....well, um, he is not here yet (3 minutes late)....oh there he is......the guy in the cart with the heater and a McDonald’s cup, your 1991 PGA Championship winner, John Daly.

Crooked Stick seems so long ago...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.