• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2019 The US Open Discussion Thread

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
I just want to see them not fuck up Pebble.
giphy.gif

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have a sliver of hope that the removal of Mike Davis as the USGA setup guru may yield a less brutal course setup. I am willing to give the new guy a chance before I start dismantling the USGA.

Of course, if round one is a disaster, the gloves will be off.:mad:

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
There is a great expression here, "Their coat is hanging on a shakey hanger". If they screw this up after the past few years! I know it is a different kind of golf, punishing, exacting etc. And sometimes that is OK to see, rather than a -26 under birdie blitz. But let's make it tough and fair, not impossible.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
There is a great expression here, "Their coat is hanging on a shakey hanger". If they screw this up after the past few years! I know it is a different kind of golf, punishing, exacting etc. And sometimes that is OK to see, rather than a -26 under birdie blitz. But let's make it tough and fair, not impossible.
My biggest beef is what they have done to the greens in the past. I do not mind narrow fairways and dense rough to challenge the players to make decisions on the tee to play for pure distance or control. But greens that can not hold a well struck shot have no place on any golf course, let alone a major. I rather see someone shoot -20 if they have a hot week than watch the field struggle to make pars because the greens can not hold a drop of water let alone a golf ball.

I found the PGA at Bethpage Black highly entertaining. It was a tough setup, but it rewarded well struck shots.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've expressed my feelings on course setup at the Open before....

Punish these guys. I want the mentally tough players on the leader boards, not the ones that just have pure golf talent. 4, 5, 6 putts, unplayable lies if you're not on the fairway...I want shooting par to be a dream land.

I find it hilarious when a shot lands on the green and funnels off into a bunker. Nothing gives me more joy.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I, too, lean more to the "Glark attitude". I want the rough higher than most PGA venues. I want the fairways narrower than most PGA venues. And, I want the greens to putt like the floor in my garage. My only problem with a couple of past U.S. Opens was that the greens were not receptive. If a well placed shot hits on the green and sticks... great. If the PGA pro three or four putts from there... that's a U.S. Open!!
The PGA has become a "bomb and gouge" game. Hit a 350 yard drive to an 80 yard wide manicured fairway. If it misses the fairway into the first cut of rough... the rough is short enough the player is not penalized. I'd like to see them have difficulty finding a golf ball in the first cut! Hit the fairway or go home!
The only thing that messes with the players in most pro tourneys is Mother Nature. Oh, my! They might have to wear a wind shirt! My word! It was so difficult playing today in 7 mph winds! Come on! We who tee it up most every day don't do it on manicured courses. We take whatever weather is there... or don't play that day. I know. It takes 4 consecutive days with rounds in the 60's to compete on the Tour. Give us one tourney where 4 rounds in the mid-70's wins and at the winner's press conference he looks like he just sat through an autopsy!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I forget exactly what hole it was at Erin Hills when I was there, but there was a down hill par 3 that I watched sooo many balls land milddle of the green and filter into a deep green side bunker. I could have watched that hole ALL DAY.

Got to the point where the crowd would murmur 'bunker' when it landed in the spot we knew was going to funnel.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.