• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2020 Masters Banter Thread

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It was certainly a strange Masters, given the time of year and the lack of patrons. It looked the same, the quality of golf was exceptional but something was missing. My overall thoughts:

• DJ proved he is #1 in the world, he seems to have gears at his disposal to turn a 300 yard “poke” into a 340 yard bomb, when required. He was SOLID all week. If he can keep in straight (not just on the course) I can forsee a few more majors in the tank.
  • Cameron Smith, how lucky was he? He hit poor shot after poor shot but seemed to get a Tsunami of good fortune. He made amazing pars on 16 and 17 on day 3 and then extraordinary birdies on 9 and 15 on day 4. I’m not running him down, but his luck was certainly in.
  • Im seems like a tank. With a bit more experience, he could be really dangerous.
  • Poor old Rory, Day 1 took him out of it. Other than that he looked solid.
  • And Tiggy’s 10? Wow. But the bigger wow was his response. While I would be tailspinning into a meltdown of epic proportions, he reeled off 5 birdies in his last 6 holes. Playa!!
I can’t wait for the next Masters, in 6 months’ time.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
May be an unpopular opinion but this Masters felt weird to me, not like a real Masters. Not taking anything away from DJ, he may have won no matter what. I think the lack of crowds played a bigger factor at this tourney than any so far. And man the course was soft. I don’t go so far to give it an asterisk, but something didn’t feel right about it, 2020 I guess.
I agree. It was not must watch TV. Maybe because it’s mid November and for me the golf season has come to a close and watching NFL Red Zone was more entertaining than watching golf. The lack of colors, whether they be the fans or the flowers just left a fairly monochromatic effect. Yes, it was very green, but without the contrasting colors the course looked flat and dull.

Hoping next April will bring back the full flavor of the tournament.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It was certainly a strange Masters, given the time of year and the lack of patrons. It looked the same, the quality of golf was exceptional but something was missing. My overall thoughts:

• DJ proved he is #1 in the world, he seems to have gears at his disposal to turn a 300 yard “poke” into a 340 yard bomb, when required. He was SOLID all week. If he can keep in straight (not just on the course) I can forsee a few more majors in the tank.
  • Cameron Smith, how lucky was he? He hit poor shot after poor shot but seemed to get a Tsunami of good fortune. He made amazing pars on 16 and 17 on day 3 and then extraordinary birdies on 9 and 15 on day 4. I’m not running him down, but his luck was certainly in.
  • Im seems like a tank. With a bit more experience, he could be really dangerous.
  • Poor old Rory, Day 1 took him out of it. Other than that he looked solid.
  • And Tiggy’s 10? Wow. But the bigger wow was his response. While I would be tailspinning into a meltdown of epic proportions, he reeled off 5 birdies in his last 6 holes. Playa!!
I can’t wait for the next Masters, in 6 months’ time.

I have been thoroughly unimpressed with Rory in recent years. He plays well enough to get too 10-15 but only after he’s shot himself out of it.

Did Jason Day play? I didn’t see him once.

My take on golf in general: we’ve been spoiled these last 20 years watching Tiger. I guess this is what the end of Jack’s heyday felt like? There are some fine young players, but none of them are guys that make me tune in like Tiger did, he’ll still does.

Says a lot that the most compelling story is a guy that gained 40lbs and is crushing the ball, though somehow with all the press he’s gotten he’s still not linger than some other guys-DJ, Rory, Cam Champ etc.

It felt like this Masters turned into every other PGA tour event, a putting contest. Ok rant over, get off my lawn lol

🔥 Latest posts