• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2020 US Open Banter Thread

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Picked Woodland, a local boy, who won last year. He's gonna miss the cut. I've picked Reed many times, but didn't this year. Now, he's leading. This is one tough course. Gonna be a typical, blood bath, U.S. Open.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Woods tied for 83rd. He's gonna have to play better than he is right now to make the cut.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
These guys need to review Pennick's "Little Red Book" and the axiom "Don't let one bad shot turn into two or three"!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Two of my four will miss the cut. Hopefully, the rest of you will have three or four miss the cut!!! :p:p

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
JT and Reed now share the lead at -4. Dechambeau in the clubhouse at -3... its getting a little tougher out there today, wind has picked up!

Love him or Hate him, P. Reed seems to play really well on tough course setups. Phils struggles hurt my heart, after he played so well coming into this week... too bad!

I gotta say, love him or hate him, he is one mentally tough SOB. With all the rules hoopla he just seemed to brush it off and keep playing, now he’s in the hint at the us open! Impressive

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
DeChambeau/Reed pairing today. Outta be fun. You have one that is precise in everything. Analytical to a fault. The other is "Here! Hold my beer and watch this!"

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
DeChambeau/Reed pairing today. Outta be fun. You have one that is precise in everything. Analytical to a fault. The other is "Here! Hold my beer and watch this!"
Reed prefers it if the cameras don’t watch. Especially in the bunkers. ;)

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I gotta say, love him or hate him, he is one mentally tough SOB. With all the rules hoopla he just seemed to brush it off and keep playing, now he’s in the hint at the us open! Impressive

Reed plays with a chip on his shoulder for sure. Mentally tough 100%. Can’t help but like the guy for that. It’s like he knows he’s not liked and just doesn’t care!! Good on him for that. All things considered I kinda like watching him play

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Wolff hits 2 fairways, shoots a 65. o_O

That’s not how the US Open is supposed to work.

Both him and DeChambeau are playing a game that should not work at Wingfoot in a US Open and they are leading going into the final round. Could be an interesting Sunday.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Reed plays with a chip on his shoulder for sure. Mentally tough 100%. Can’t help but like the guy for that. It’s like he knows he’s not liked and just doesn’t care!! Good on him for that. All things considered I kinda like watching him play

Agreed. He’s just him and doesn’t care what anybody thinks! In many ways so is Bryson. Like them or not, gotta respect them for that!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Wolff hits 2 fairways, shoots a 65. o_O

That’s not how the US Open is supposed to work.

Both him and DeChambeau are playing a game that should not work at Wingfoot in a US Open and they are leading going into the final round. Could be an interesting Sunday.

Idk if it’s the way the course is setup, the tech advances in clubs and balls over the last 20 years, physical conditioning or just plain that these guys are that good.

This is Winged Foot, one of the supposed 3 hardest US Open courses in the country. In 2006 Lefty hit I think 2 fairways and shot 74in the final round, the winning score was +5. I’m not normally one of the “protect par” guys, but this is the US Open. I’d go so far as to say the US Open hasn’t looked like the U mS Open for at least 5 years. Maybe except Pebble.

I’ll be curious to see how the final round goes. And if the winning score is under par, how much crap we’ll hear.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Idk if it’s the way the course is setup, the tech advances in clubs and balls over the last 20 years, physical conditioning or just plain that these guys are that good.

This is Winged Foot, one of the supposed 3 hardest US Open courses in the country. In 2006 Lefty hit I think 2 fairways and shot 74in the final round, the winning score was +5. I’m not normally one of the “protect par” guys, but this is the US Open. I’d go so far as to say the US Open hasn’t looked like the U mS Open for at least 5 years. Maybe except Pebble.

I’ll be curious to see how the final round goes. And if the winning score is under par, how much crap we’ll hear.
I am not a protect par guy, either, I would prefer to see more scoring. Winged foot is playing tough for 99% of the field, it’s just a couple of guys defying the USGA by doing something that should not be possible. Let see if it is sustainable today.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I am not a protect par guy, either, I would prefer to see more scoring. Winged foot is playing tough for 99% of the field, it’s just a couple of guys defying the USGA by doing something that should not be possible. Let see if it is sustainable today.
I lean to the other side. Don't watch the NBA because having a game where over 100 points is regular thing doesn't seem like a realistic sport. I despise those tourneys where the winning score is 20 under par. McIlroy just hit a 373 yard drive. If the equipment and conditioning 400 yard drives common, tighten up the courses where there is some challenge. Wolfe just hit a pitching wedge to a 170 yard par 3. Have the greens hard or undulating where there is some challenge.
I spent much of the 60's and 70's chasing around dirt track events. We would go to races on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Had good tracks within an hour's drive from where we lived. You wanted the guy you disliked to crash into the wall or roll coming out of a turn. You wanted the track a little slippery where there was a spin out or two. I want a "spin out" or two with professional golfers!!!

🔥 Latest posts