• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

280 yard 3 irons

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I love the Open, I love links golf. I love the fact that down wind you can hit a 3 iron nearly 300 yards downwind and the same shot 180 into the wind. I love the variety of shots required. Putting 30 yards off the green, bump and runs. Having to allow for the breeze on 10 ft. putts.

Muirfield is burned to a crisp, hard and fast. The bunkers are nightmarish, so much sand preventing the ball running into the middle. They are almost like mini-water hazards. I have been lucky enough to play Muirfield about 6 times in all. The one thing that struck me were the tiny pot fairway bunkers 200-250 yards away. They seem to magically gather the ball from 50 yards away, with subtle slopes. There is a huge amount of space as well, you hardly ever see another hole. Each hole points a different direction, meaning the wind is always different. And the greens are like carpets. Its a great test.

The forecast is set fair, light breezes and warm. Game on!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I really enjoy watching... what we over here call... the British Open. We see golf played totally differently than anything we have here. One of the first threads you will see on golf forums is "What happened to the fairways and greens?" Hey, that's how golf really began.
The golf pundits have been talking about the hard, dry fairways. It sounds like the course will take driver out of the hands of most players... at least those playing smart. We've already heard how the hard fairways will be damaging to The GREAT One's injured elbow. We'll see Tour Pros take two, three, four or more to get out of some of those pot bunkers. I'm stoked!!! One of my favority tourneys to watch.
Bad weekend. Family friend passed night before last. (It was time.) Funeral Friday afternoon. Wife has "volunteered" my assistance to the family to clean out his home, etc. over the weekend. Sheesh! People should check the Major schedule before checking out!!!!

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
The Open is right behind The Masters for me for favorite tourny of the year. I absolutely love links golf!

While playing in Ireland on my last trip my caddie at Ballybunion asked my handicap, I sheepishly told him, "a 7..." and he couldn't believe it due to my front 9! Just because you can play parkland golf doesn't mean it translates to links golf...

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Apparently Jason Day is contemplating hitting only irons.

"Day completed a practice round at Muirfield on Tuesday using only irons. His bag includes a 1-iron that according to Nick Faldo he can hit 275 yards." Story here

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Dustin Johnson said it's unlikely he'll hit driver all week.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
The Open is right behind The Masters for me for favorite tourny of the year. I absolutely love links golf!

While playing in Ireland on my last trip my caddie at Ballybunion asked my handicap, I sheepishly told him, "a 7..." and he couldn't believe it due to my front 9! Just because you can play parkland golf doesn't mean it translates to links golf...
A guy that I work with played Ballybunion 2 years ago and he said it beat him to death. He said that the rain and wind was brutal...that and the course was tough by itself. He didn't break 100 an he typically shoots in the low 80's around here.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
This is going to be an unusual tournament as I don't see the bombers doing well. Straight hitters, good iron players, good short game and putting all a factor here. Oh, and someone who needs a lot of patience. It will be interesting to guess the winning score. Could be -16 that wins this week.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
A guy that I work with played Ballybunion 2 years ago and he said it beat him to death. He said that the rain and wind was brutal...that and the course was tough by itself. He didn't break 100 an he typically shoots in the low 80's around here.

I shot a 92 and I'm a 6 handicap. It was the hardest golf course I've ever player by far.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I regret to inform that I have uniformly pulled for the american players across time..but the golf chan is talking westwoods putting has improved to top 2. This is a likeable guy long denied and its great fun for him to get a major. It may be that his waistline appears to have expanded and he is off the weights (which some say damages fliud swings) but I just see the tv like so many other golfers.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
So Bubba will be blubbering on the Friday afternoon rather than the Sunday afternoon. :)

Bubba only blubbers when he wins....

I also LOVE watching links golf but HATE playing it! It's so hot on those open courses if it's not raining and no where to find shade. It would take me years to learn how to play that game. It's so different from what we have over here. And the feeble attempts at making links courses over here just don't make it.

Looks like it's coming down to Westwood vs. Tiger and I'm not picking the winner. Tiger just does not look like the old Tiger anymore. And I've seen Westwood fade away on the last day so many times.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.