• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3 Wedge packs

thegambler

Sep 27, 2006
If you buy a 3 pack wedge set does one of the wedges replace the pitching wedge or do most golfers add it to thier pitching wedge for a total of four wedges?

I am assuming some of depends on loft, distance, comfort, type of course and such but I am asking in general.

My current pw and sw models do not match eachother nor do either of them match the rest of my irons. I think I want a 3 pack set of wedges but I am not clear on how to use the three new wedges.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Most OEM PW's are 48 or 49*. Base your spacing on that. Standard is 52, 56 and 60*, although there are variations should you feel the need.

The 52/56/60 spacing gives you 4* between each club. I personally use my OEM 48*, a 54* bent to 52.5* and a 60*.

I hit my 60* about 70 yards tops, but I can hit my 53* about 115, so I have some overlap. Plus, I'd rather hit a 3/4 shot than stand on one and risk fatting it.

But that's me.

R35

OP
T

thegambler

Sep 27, 2006
I should have responed sooner but I was golfing and watching football.

here is a simpler question. Should I buy 3 wedge pack and take my current sw and pw out of my bag or will i wind up missing my pw?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Why would you take out your PW if a 3 wedge pack has a GW, SW, and LW?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Really? My normal set up is 3-9, 4 wedges, fairway wood, driver.

OP
T

thegambler

Sep 27, 2006
Why would you take out your PW if a 3 wedge pack has a GW, SW, and LW?

Thank you. I was not clear on if one of the three wedges was suppose to replace the pw. Obviously not. Do some golfers have 4 wedges?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Thank you. I was not clear on if one of the three wedges was suppose to replace the pw. Obviously not. Do some golfers have 4 wedges?

Depends on the golfers, but I know plenty that do. I much prefer carry four wedges, a 48*(Pitching Wedge) 52*(Gap Wedge) 56*(Sand Wedge) and 60*(Lob Wedge).

Each serve their purpose, the PW for me is mostly an iron. However my GW is Spin-Milled so I get lots of spin from pretty much anywhere. My SW has the highest degree of bounce, so it's great for shallow sand outs and higher lies in the rough. My LW has little bounce so it is great for fried eggs, plugged balls in the sand(I had one, could only see about 1/4" of the ball), and thick rough.

This is partially why I am an advocate for buying your wedges individually, though it costs more. Each of my wedges serves a specific purpose.

OP
T

thegambler

Sep 27, 2006
Great information everyone. I am going to have to give this some thought. I don't think I wil buy the three pack set.

I think I like the 3-iron,4 wedge, driver, and fairway wood setup.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.