• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3 Wedges????

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
For me it is the opposite reason. I realize although I am fairly good off the tee, and as long if not longer than most that I play with, I will rarely reach Par 5's in two, although have many wedges into the green on par 4's. I rely on my game from 120 in to save my score. The more weapons in that range, the better.

As long as I can reach all the par 3's, I will gladly give up my distance on the long game anywhere on the course.

I have more bad shots on the approach than many, and while most of my playing partners cringe at a shot between 70-80 yards, for me that is a money shot.

You would think I would learn to hit a LW, since I'm in the same boat. I almost never go for Par 5's in two, and I love the 80-yard GW shot. But put me at 40 yard, and it's like Moses turned that same GW into a serpent. If I had a reliable LW shot in my bag, I could make a fuller swing at 40 yards.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I will usually use the LW between 30 and 80, unless I have a ton of green to work with, which is rare. Given the opportunity inside 50 yards, I am probably more accurate with the bump and run. Although there are not a lot of holes on courses up here that are set up to play that shot.

I think I play it this way for the reasons you mention, I am not as comfortable with a shorter swing. So I try to use either chip style setup or a fuller swing. Although I am getting better a 1/2 and 1/4 swings this year, as I have had a little time to practice them. Although still not as confident in them to take the LW or Bump and Run out of my hands in many of those situations

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
i was having the problem from 100 in until i got my 52 and 60...so now i carry a 47 52 56 60...which lately the 56 has stayed at home unless im going to a course with fluffy sand...

justsomeguythatgolfs

Apr 8, 2006
i like 3 wedges, a 47 PW 56 sand and 60 lob, i have 3 wood and 5 wood and carry a 3 iron, but thinking of switching the 3 iron to a hybrid because im not always the most consistent with the 3 iron. i dont like a gap wedge because ive practiced a bunch with working the PW. i normally hit it 130 on a full swing, but ill hit it anywhere from 130 to 100, which is how far i hit my SW. ill use my SW from 100 all the way in, because thats the club i have the best feel with. i only use the lob wedge a few times a round in places like deep rough around the green and flop shots over a bunker or 30 yard shots to a tight pin where i really need to spin it. thats what i do

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.