• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3 Wood Advice Needed

MadeInGuam

Jul 18, 2009
I've never been able to hit 3 woods consistently. It might be a mental thing with me. I've tried a handful from the supposedly easy to hit Adams Ovation (old model I know) to a recent Titleist model to no avail. Aside from my driver, the only other "wood" I carry is a TaylorMade Burner Rescue 19* which I think has 5 Wood distance. I absolutely LOVE this club. I hit this very well off the tee and off the deck.

Do you know of a 3 Wood that sets up and feels like a rescue club? Do any rescue clubs out there have 3 wood distance?

Thank you very much in advance.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
How about moving up to a 4W instead? Obviously, a TEE 4W which is the wa to go if you're truly a Shottalker :D

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
a 4w is an option, or you could just try finding a lower lofted hybrid/rescue club in the 16-17 degree range. you'll probably find it much easier to hit off the sweet spot due to the shaft length being much shorter and heavier than a fairway wood.

(nothing wrong with the ovation, I play the 3w, and 7w, and have the 5w in the closet. solid, solid woods.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You could try like a 16* hybrid. Personally I haven't had much luck with them. Other than that I'd say something in the 16-17* range for a fairway wood but with a shallow face. Something like maybe a TM 200steel 4W. Tour Edge Exotics are good too. Seeing that you have a 19*, you probably don't want to go a heck of a lot lower than that if you plan to use it a lot off the deck. A jump from 19* hybrid to 15* 3W "should" be like a 35-40yd. difference. A 4W would cut that to 20-25yds., give you a better distance gap and easier to hit.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
GEEK DCT fairways...simple amazing! The second try with a TEE is slowly making me a believer though. I think I may have found the right shaft for my TEE.

OP
M

MadeInGuam

Jul 18, 2009
I apologize if this sounds stupid (I'm new to the site), but what does "TEE" mean?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I apologize if this sounds stupid (I'm new to the site), but what does "TEE" mean?

Now you know... They are a fairly new company in the last few years. The fairway woods are expensive but pretty much the best on the market. They use a chemical bonding to get a titanium face and crown with a heavier steel sole. They kick ass. With the heavy sole they are easy to hit off the fairway and the face should be illegal it's so hot. I have a 13* and the ball comes off like a rocket. It'll get out around 200yds. like a bullet, 10-15ft. off the ground, then start to rise up. I've never seen a club like it.

Lefty_SnowBird

Jul 6, 2009
My cobra 3-wood is so tiny people always think it's a 5-wood. Maybe you need one like that... It's a few years old now though, so i'm not sure how cobra's fairway woods look like now.

All I know is it has a very nice feel and on a good day, it can't go anywhere but right on target.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I never had luck finding a Rescue club that even played longer than my 5w, and found even the 16* that I had to even be harder to play than a 5w and about 5 yards shorter.

I will say the 16.5* TEE 4w is about as long as my old 14* G2 3w, and much easier to hit. It can be used out of the rough, although is not as likely as easy to hit out of the rough as my old 5w. I generally now opt for my 7w out of the rough.

Had heard reviews and stories when I was looking to do the same, that about the only hybrid that would normally played as long as a 3w was the old 15* Sonartec MD Hybrid, although also heard that they were almost impossible for most to hit of the deck or anything other than a tee. Probably harder to find now though, as the company is defunct.

edit 1 - haven't tried any of the newer ones in about the last 2 years, but am noticing that many are starting to come out with deeper faces midway between a Hybrid and FW, so while you may see some that may get similar distances to a 3w, I am wonder if they are also going to lose many of the positive benefits of a hybrid as a result.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've had pretty much the same trouble. And went from a Cleveland 3 wood, to a TEE 4 wood. Then even tried a 1 hybrid, 15º. The hybrid is harder to hit off the tee and I can't get it off the deck for squat. I've gone back to my TEE 4 wood and after experimenting with ball position, I'm now hitting it much better.

So another vote for the TEE 4 wood here. I've got the older CB1 version and love it.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I want a 1 or 2 Hybrid.... Something like a 14* or 17* or something.. I just got a 13* 3-wood, and have a 19* hybrid..

I absolutely RAIL my hybrid. If I could learn how to chip with it, I'd just go golfing with 1 club, and that would be my one club. Pure contact everytime. Hit it better off the deck than I do a tee usually.

Perhaps the clunky look of a fairway wood is messing with you, and something compact and smaller would be better suited to your eye?

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I want a 1 or 2 Hybrid.... Something like a 14* or 17* or something.. I just got a 13* 3-wood, and have a 19* hybrid..

I absolutely RAIL my hybrid. If I could learn how to chip with it, I'd just go golfing with 1 club, and that would be my one club. Pure contact everytime. Hit it better off the deck than I do a tee usually.

Perhaps the clunky look of a fairway wood is messing with you, and something compact and smaller would be better suited to your eye?

You can borrow my 15° Nickent 3DX hybrid for a while if you want to see how they are. R flex shaft though, so you'd have to go easy on it to get a good idea of how it hits (rather than spraying it due to the shaft, and then chalking off low-lofted hybrids for the wrong reason.)

🔥 Latest posts