• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3 wood -> driver difference

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I never said it was going to be cheap, just smaller.

Actually, I'm glad nobody near me carries them or I'd probably have already ho'ed one myself.

It is a sweet looking head IMHO!

I would drop $400 in a heartbeat to fix my driving... I'm just very unsure that I should be blaming the club. The only thing that makes me want to, is that I do hit the 3 so well. I found a place less than 3 miles from office, that allegedly has them. So does eBay ;)

What do y'all think of this?

tom wishon custom golf clubs, tom wishon woods, tom wishon golf clubs, tom wishon custom golf equipment, tom wishon used golf clubs, and discount golf clubs by 1998 Golfsmith Distinguished Clubmaker

Custom clubs ordered online? That sounds sketchy to me. Am I reading those prices right? $179 plus the shaft add-on (and whatever other options) for the 919, the most beautiful golf club I've ever seen? I hope it doesn't come with a headcover!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Custom clubs ordered online? That sounds sketchy to me. Am I reading those prices right? $179 plus the shaft add-on (and whatever other options) for the 919, the most beautiful golf club I've ever seen? I hope it doesn't come with a headcover!
Wishon is top-notch. Buy with confidence.

Better yet, look up the Wishon-Certified clubmaker nearest you, and get fitted for a driver.

http://www.wishongolf.com

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Try out some different shafts. Most of the stock TM shafts are garbage. My driver got much better when I was fitted for a new shaft. When I was at the launch monitor I was amazed at the difference between the stock shaft and the PL Blue I ended up getting.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I slice alot. I've gotten most of it under control, and more importantly, I've gotten it straight AND more carry from it.

I bought a TM Burner. 9.5 with the 50g regular.. I could NOT hit it on the range or course. I could in the LM a little, but couldn't tell the ball flight that well.

I ended up getting the same driver, but a Stiffer shaft. I had been playing with an X shaft, and shouldn't have. I only had it because it was with the set when I bought the bag, and didn't know any better.

Try a stiffer shaft just for the sake of it. If your going to go the equipment route, I'd try that before a totally new driver.

I set up a tad open, and use a strong grip, slow my backswing and rotation, and I actually set up a tad bit farther away from the ball, and I've been railing my driver as of the last 4 times out. And like mentioned, I try and finish with my arms crossed, which puts it in my mind to rotate my hands through all the way.

Now I only hit my 3 wood because I love to hear the sound of it.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I slice alot. I've gotten most of it under control, and more importantly, I've gotten it straight AND more carry from it.

I bought a TM Burner. 9.5 with the 50g regular.. I could NOT hit it on the range or course. I could in the LM a little, but couldn't tell the ball flight that well.

I ended up getting the same driver, but a Stiffer shaft. I had been playing with an X shaft, and shouldn't have. I only had it because it was with the set when I bought the bag, and didn't know any better.

Try a stiffer shaft just for the sake of it. If your going to go the equipment route, I'd try that before a totally new driver.

I set up a tad open, and use a strong grip, slow my backswing and rotation, and I actually set up a tad bit farther away from the ball, and I've been railing my driver as of the last 4 times out. And like mentioned, I try and finish with my arms crossed, which puts it in my mind to rotate my hands through all the way.

Now I only hit my 3 wood because I love to hear the sound of it.

Trying a stiffer shaft sounds like great advice except for one thing... for about the cost of a shaft, I can buy a whole new club off Global Golf, or eBay. It's shocking how cheap a small, couple-year-old driver can be had. There are $19.99 Buy-It-Nows on 350cc Cobras, and other brands, on eBay. And someone recently bought an R7 exactly like mine, with a stiff shaft, for $80... which is not much more than it'd cost me to have a new shaft put it mine.

I think the Nakashima, though pretty, is off the table for now. My problem is that I have too many options. The aforementioned TM R540 from GG, a couple other clubs I bid <$30 on last night, and am winning, a $20 Cobra, etc, etc.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Stock shafts are nothing like quality aftermarket shafts, just because it's a stiff does not mean it's any good.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Stock shafts are nothing like quality aftermarket shafts, just because it's a stiff does not mean it's any good.

+1 on this statement, I've reshafted almost every club in my bag and completely concur, stock shafts as a general rule $uck !!!!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
MOst people have a lot of trouble squaring the face of a large (400cc and up) driver for a number of reasons. The 2 most important being:

1 - that the added length of the club requires a further forward ball position to allow enough time for the face to square and many people do not compensate for this.

2 - The moment of inertia required to swing a standard mens driver at 45 inches and D2 swing weight is far to high for most average players to handle. They simply lack the strength and club head speed to swing a driver and square the face consistently.

MOI matching clubs is no doubt the way clubs will be built in the future. The science behind it is just to strong to ignore. Every one also has an MOI number that will allow them to swing the club the most consistently and allow for the best chance of squaring the face. For example if the club you feel the best swinging is your 6 iron and consistently hit this club better than any club in your bag it would be a good indication that this club is a good MOI match for you. Say it is at D2 and 37.5 inches in length. For your driver to have the same MOI and feel the same when swung it would need to be 43.5 inches in length and play to a swing weight of about C4. Many will squawk and say it is too light. After a slight adjustment period most people find they hit this set up far better than any driver they have ever hit. The bonus is that it requires no change in set up over the 6 iron and will in most cases produce a higher swing speed than the 45 inch driver at D2. Something to think about.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
LyleG, I find that very interesting.

Was just thinking how "heavy" my Nickent 3DX felt when swinging, versus my Cally X460. was wondering of the 3DX swing weight was more, it sure feels heavy and also "slow"

the darn thing is, past few times at the range, I could hit a 5i Hybrid essentially as far as my Driver, and 3W

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Swinging the Nickent was like swinging a brick on a stick. I really ended up hating that club a lot.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008

Noted. Several, but not all, of the clubs I'm referring to already have aftermarket (stiff) shafts. For example, the $40 TM R540 at Global Golf has a Grafalloy Blue, which from what I can tell, is a well-thought-of shaft.

That said, the biggest benefit to buying a whole new club is being able to compare to the current occupant of my bag, and see if it really was the curprit.

Thanks.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
For example, the $40 TM R540 at Global Golf has a Grafalloy Blue, which from what I can tell, is a well-thought-of shaft.

Very well thought of shaft that fits less than 1% of the worlds golfing populous. The blue in S flex will need about 110mph swing speed and a very late release to load. If you cant bring it, this shaft aint for you.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Very well thought of shaft that fits less than 1% of the worlds golfing populous. The blue in S flex will need about 110mph swing speed and a very late release to load. If you cant bring it, this shaft aint for you.

Yep, I had a Mizuno 9.5º with this shaft. When the stars aligned I could crush it, but that was few and far between. The Matrix Ozik Code 6 is the sweetest shaft I've played. I absolutely love it. Granted, it's kind of pricey, but maybe Lyle can suggest a cheaper shaft with similar characteristics?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Yep, I had a Mizuno 9.5º with this shaft. When the stars aligned I could crush it, but that was few and far between. The Matrix Ozik Code 6 is the sweetest shaft I've played. I absolutely love it. Granted, it's kind of pricey, but maybe Lyle can suggest a cheaper shaft with similar characteristics?

There is nothing that will play like the Ozik unfortunately. They are expensive for a reason, the cost of materials alone on the code series are more than a Graf Blue sells for at retail.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008

So the comment I read somewhere that the Blue runs stiffer than 'normal stiff' was accurate, then? Thanks.

For what it's worth, I'm not too concerned about 'feel'. I seriously doubt I'll be able to tell. Other than the swingweight, I honestly can't tell much difference between the Dynamic Golds in a couple of my irons and the no-name OEM graphites in the others. They 'feel' the same, to me; I'm just not good enough to tell.

🔥 Latest posts