• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3 woods...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm having internal debate as what fairway wood I should be using.

I currently own three V-Steels; 13*(T/S), 15*(3W), and 16.5*(4W). I was carrying the T/S and 4W with two hybrids (19* and 23*) but I had one too many clubs when I switched my wedges from 52-56 to 50-54-58. I made room for the third wedge by replacing the T/S and 4W with a traditional 15* 3W.

So, my problem isn't with the set-up but rather the clubs themselves. The 15* was purchased well used for cheap and came with a Graphite Design YS-7. I'm a big V-Steel fan and I absolutely love this combo. (It's worth noting that I had replaced the shafts in my two other V-Steels with UST IRODS and I really like the way they play - although they don't compare to the YS-7) Anyway, I take really good care of my clubs and my original V-Steels are in EXCELLENT condition but the new 15* V-Steel is cosmetically challenged. (it's quite ugly actually)

Here's where y'all come in as I have options and I'd like to bounce them off you guys.

1- Adjust the loft on either the T/S or the 16.5* and put the YS-7 in it. Is it possible to adjust the loft on a V-Steel? Anyone tried this?
2 - Buy another "pretty" 15* V-Steel, swap shafts, and sell any or all of my other V-Steels.
3 - Upgrade to nice shiny new R7 Steel 15*. Any experiences out there with the R7 Steel? How does it compare to the V-Steel?

Things that won't change: I'm a TM guy when it comes to my woods (although I could be convinced to look at an SS-2.5) and I will be keeping the YS-7 shaft.

Okay, bring it on...

ironman

Sep 2, 2006
K.I.S.S.

Just use one 16.5*(4W), if you have to pose such a question.

Sometimes my Driver hits go well, for a while: When my One Wood goes good, it goes great, and fills me with bliss and toughts of world peace and warm buns.

Then I'll get a string of hooks or slices with my Big Dog that'll get lost in the dark woods which fills me with ill will and hatred for all living beings.

However, I do tee up my little steely Five Wood for 220 or so yards with much higher chance of laying for a good to decent approach shot with a forged mid iron that I am comfortable taking for a GIR.

I find scoring Pars and Bogies very agreeable and the subsequent neat tastes of the Red Breasts at the 19th Hole, compliments of my betting partners, just the ticket to look forward to our next game.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I went that route initially but the 4 wood sacrifics too much distance off the tee. I tired using just the T/S but that was tougher to hit off the deck (compared to the 4w). My solution was to split the difference with the 15*.

My main question is around feasability of adjusting the loft of fairway woods; is it worth it? On top of that question I'm looking for folks that have switched from a V-Steel to a R7 Steel.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
If I were inclined to choose between the 2 options I would also go with the 4 wood. Right now I am looking for a 2 iron though, then a 1 iron, still need to get my 5 and 7 irons but right now I want to concentrate on the long irons.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
The 4 wood can't sacrifice more than 10 yards can it?

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
The 4 wood can't sacrifice more than 10 yards can it?

From the 15* 3 wood you're right but from the driver or 13* 3-wood the distance loss is more significant. The 15* is my single fairway wood compromise.

I fear that I worded my question incorrectly as I'm not looking for set-up suggestions, I'm happy with how I've covered the gaps: Driver, 15* 3W, 19* Hybrid. My question is how should I get that 15* 3 wood - do a loft change with an existing 13 or 16.5 wood, buy another 15* VSteel, or upgrade to the R7.

If adjusting lofts is an option, and that would save me some dough, then that's worth investigating. If folks find the R7 Steel and V-Steel to be similar then I should skip option 2 and proceed with option 3.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Get the best of both worlds: a 15* Tour Edge Exotics.

Your 13* is really a strong 3 or a 2 wood. Most 3 woods today are 15*. My profile lists 15*, 17*, & 19* Titleist 980Fs. I normally carry the 15* & 19*, but if I can learn to hit a bloody 60* lob wedge, I will drop the 15* & 19* and just carry the 17*. I hit it 210 yards and it's straight with a high trajectory.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Aye, the degrees on your woods are closely nit together, it would probably be best to get like a 4 wood at 16* and a hybrid or next wood at 20*, and take out your 3 iron.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.