• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

300+ yard drives

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I just played last night and here is some food for thought on the topic of 300 yard drives. I just want to know what everyone else thinks. I had a 328 yard - par four split by a gulley.

Case I - I hit a solid 4 iron of the box to within 4 feet of the edge of the gulley, leaving me 80 yards to the green on the other side. There is NO WAY that I hit my 4 iron 250 yards - I drive around 250 yards.

Case II - Hole number nine is a 450 yard - dogleg left. I hit a pretty decent drive and outdrove the dogleg by about 10 feet, leaving me with 150. My buddy ( a 100+ player) hits a 3-wood within 25 yards of my drive. He says to me "that was a 300 yard drive - and mine 275". I had to shoot him down. (He is getting more comfortable with his irons, but still hits a 4 iron on a 150 yd par-3.)

I am here to say that I AM NOT A LONG-BALL HITTER. I never have been. I cannot drive 300 yards. So my question/hypothesis is this: Are the yardage markers on our courses are inadvertantly sometimes inaccurate which leads us to believe that we are better drivers that we truly are? It seems as though our local long drives (on the same course) are rarely over 325 for the winners.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I can't speak for the course that you play on, but i find the yardages pretty much bang on around here. Every sprinkler is lasered and labelled every spring.

On the one par 5 here where a buddy had popped up his drive, the message on the sprinkler was "Everything you've got!". He was 350+ out....

R35

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Rockford35 said:
I can't speak for the course that you play on, but i find the yardages pretty much bang on around here. Every sprinkler is lasered and labelled every spring.

On the one par 5 here where a buddy had popped up his drive, the message on the sprinkler was "Everything you've got!". He was 350+ out....

R35

Haha. I remember when playing Mount Juliet about a decade ago I hit a drive on their 8th hole - a par 5 - and the yardage marker on the fairway said something to the same effect, such as "you haven't a mission", or something like that. 'Tis good craic, imo....:D

🔥 Latest posts