• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

33" putter?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Anybody play a putter that short?

I play 34" now and the weighting feels great. I notice myself choking up a lot to get the desired roll. That got me thinking, why not go 33"?

Not really sure I want to just lop 1" off the butt, that usually changes the feel. Thinking I might order another Inazone but have them make it 33".

Thoughts?

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
I choked up on my putter too, so I cut my 35" Odyssey #9 down to 33.5 and put a midsized grip on it.

I love it (most days).

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Its a trap.

Great if they are all short puts...but when you need the leverage from across the green you left it on the shop floor. Then you gotta hit that short stick hard to get the length an that is not good for consistent distance on lengthy putts. Better to leave some grip and walk up and down it as you need to for the variius situations.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
Its a trap.

Great if they are all short puts...but when you need the leverage from across the green you left it on the shop floor. Then you gotta hit that short stick hard to get the length an that is not good for consistent distance on lengthy putts. Better to leave some grip and walk up and down it as you need to for the variius situations.

I can't even begin to envision wtf you're getting at.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Leverage. Its kinda important in this game. It lets the club do the work so you can have that gentle accurate stroke you are so desperate to find.

I have one stroke at 15 and 25 and 35 feet. Im hanging off the end of a 35 inch putter at 35. Down an inch or so for the 25s and down a couple inches for the short ones. I have a range of easy backswing on those setups that i try to practice so i have the in between distances. What do you do? Hit it progressively harder im guessing.

The longer my stroke becomes the more im likely to hit off path or have a face angle thats not square. I like the tempo to stay the same as much as possible so im used to the speed and how the resulting breaks turn in.

When im away on the fringe or basically chipping the 35 isnt a different feel from my wedges either. I have a 33.5 inch odyssey 7. The Fang. I love it but it will leave me short on lags even though it feels like I killed it. I wish it was 34. Thats a good length for me on bent grass. Mostly on these burmuda greens I like a 35 though.

I think if I do anything to the next putter im gonna add some loft to it since it seems im always on greens that have not been recently manicured.

itcho

Jul 4, 2013
I've got a 33" with a fat grip on it,fat grip is fantastic,so much better for me as you feel like you have to grip so tight!

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Leverage. Its kinda important in this game. It lets the club do the work so you can have that gentle accurate stroke you are so desperate to find.

I have one stroke at 15 and 25 and 35 feet. Im hanging off the end of a 35 inch putter at 35. Down an inch or so for the 25s and down a couple inches for the short ones. I have a range of easy backswing on those setups that i try to practice so i have the in between distances. What do you do? Hit it progressively harder im guessing.

The longer my stroke becomes the more im likely to hit off path or have a face angle thats not square. I like the tempo to stay the same as much as possible so im used to the speed and how the resulting breaks turn in.

When im away on the fringe or basically chipping the 35 isnt a different feel from my wedges either. I have a 33.5 inch odyssey 7. The Fang. I love it but it will leave me short on lags even though it feels like I killed it. I wish it was 34. Thats a good length for me on bent grass. Mostly on these burmuda greens I like a 35 though.

I think if I do anything to the next putter im gonna add some loft to it since it seems im always on greens that have not been recently manicured.
I see what you're saying but I don't change where I grip the club based on how long the putt is. I have one grip and vary the length if the bacwswing.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Yeah I did that and im not saying there is anything wrong with it.

Its like my sand wedge tho. I hit the wedge 100. 3/4 is 75 yd and half shot is 50 yd. I can do that with all the clubs (irons) and actually have written the 3/4 yards on them before cause I cant calc .75 times crap in my head when its its my turn.

Putter is just another club with its part to play imo so I have its range too. Can I hit a knockdown with it? Sure..forward press.. hit a flop? Sure..putt it with the ball forward.. can I slice my putt..of course. Love a left right cut putt- easier to see and the little extra loft gets the ball up on the grass and it seems to help my predicted distance match reality. Can I pull left or draw a putt...unfortunately yes.

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
Here's a 33in scotty for you. PM me if your interested
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1373216554.872980.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1373216563.951455.jpg
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1373216575.818624.jpg

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Your tugging at my heart strings Migolf!

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
My putter is 32.75", it works for me on any length putt, I just take the club back further and have a longer follow through with longer putts.

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
I see what you're saying but I don't change where I grip the club based on how long the putt is. I have one grip and vary the length if the bacwswing.

Yup.

🔥 Latest posts