• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

.350 Hosel Heads (Don need you on this!)

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
Anyone know where I can find a .350 Hosel head? I just purchased an Aldila NV 65R shaft with a .350 tip but am finding it difficult to find a head to put it in. I know Golfsmith has a few and many of the OEM clubs are making .350 hosels but I haven't found any from other custom component outfits. I don't have the the necessary tools to be boring out a head.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Golfworks (www.golfworks.com) has at least one .350 driver available. I think its the CT250.

Golfsmith's Snake Eyes Pythons have received good reviews and I believe that they, too, are .350 bore as well (green trim as well, perfect for the NV shaft!)

OP
3Bogey

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
Thanks Ualtim!! I have always wanted to try a Maltby!! They have the CT250 as you stated that looks awesome and has the .350 hosel!! Thanks Again!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Pretty much any of the TM non tour heads will take a 350.

Launchers take 350 also. I gave away my 580 or I would have sent it to you, I was curious as to how it would preform with an NV, I almost put one in there myself.

Don

Aug 23, 2005
3Bogey: I've had good succcess with Golfsmith heads so far. As for opening up a hosel from 335 to 350, it can't be that hard a job. If you can find a 9 mm, metric drill, that should do it for you. Or you could use a 11/32 drill followed by a 21/64th drill to open it up. If you use shafting beads when you install the shaft, that should work fine. We're not talking about removing a lot of material here, so it shouldn't be that big a deal. Or you could just trade in that 350 shaft for a 335 shaft. Any chance of doing that?

OP
3Bogey

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
Well there is talk that despite many custom builders rebuttles that the next generation of graphite shafts are all going toward .350 tips. They say new graphite shafts with the overlapping layer technology with the .335 are just as strong but some say this is not the case. When you look at the shaft itself it is quite noticibaly thicker. To me it just makes sense that it would be less torque. I know some say we get all caught up into torque but a thicker shaft with the same weight to me says less torque which ultimately means more square compact. Plus, why would all of the big boys lke Nike, Cobra, TM all be going with .350 shafts?? I want to try it out myself to see what all the fuss is about. I probably will go with the Python head. Not a whole of feedback on this head though.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
3Bogey said:
Plus, why would all of the big boys lke Nike, Cobra, TM all be going with .350 shafts??

Because you can get away with cheaper stock shafts that will at least have some resemblance of low tourque with out the higher cost. That will increase their profit margin per club which will improve their bottom line.

What you gain in tourque resistance you lose in launch capability. .335 shafts assist in launching the ball at higher angles. If launch angle was not an issue, wouldn't all shafts be .370? The launch angle capabilities is one of the reasons why hybrid heads were designed to accept .335 rather than .370 shafts. There is definately a market for .350 shafts and club heads, but just because a large manufacturer goes to it does not mean it is a technological advancement that will change the industry. Anyone remember bubble shafts?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.