• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

39!!! Ever have one of those days

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
where everything just clicked? yea, me neither until today. Played my home course where the best previous score I have carded was a 43.
Total of 12 putts really helped, as did some really nice drives. Chipping was so-so & I had 4 too many of those.

Wind was blowing at 15 mph & helped me on a couple shots & hurt me on others. Freaky stuff was nailing my 3w straight down 247 yd 5th hole & putting it 17 yds from the center of the green....I measured it out to be sure. 2 holes later I used 4 iron & with the breeze at my back the ball finally stopped...after about 20 yds of roll 250 yds from the tee. That's 230 yds with a damn 4 iron??? I don't think I have ever hit an iron shot that felt so crisp & dead on. Best previous distance with that club is somewhere in the 190 range. Finally last hole is a short par 5 at 460 yds, I blasted my driver shot into a slight headwind & 245 yds later the ball finally landed. Sure some folks will scoff at 245 but I am happy with it.

This was my hole by hole breakdown
+1
par
+1
par
birdie
par
par
+1
+1

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i had one of those day.
shot 36, 1 bogie and 1 birdie. it's an easy course though. usually card under 40. (it's a 9-hole course)

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Oh yea, & to top it all off I found 16 golf balls while waiting for the couple in front of me. No Pro v1's but I did find a couple Slazengers, 6 Titelist DT So/lo's, Callaway warbird...I wont mention the 2 crappy Top Flite Xl3000's:laugh:

Oops, I mentioned them.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I usually have one or two days like that per year but NOT this year. This year was one NOT to remember as far as scores go. Must be the Pings. (Hey, and I want my Slazengers back!!) :D

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Oh, I can't tell you how many times I've been on the eighth or ninth tee, knowing that breaking 40 is within reach... only to fall apart on the last hole. (The one I play most often - The Willows - has a really brutal ninth hole, a long par 5. I can't tell you how many balls I've lost in the woods on the right trying to cut the corner and going over, or missing my second shot.) I come home with a 40, 41, or 42 most of the time.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Oh, oh, A true golf addict is confirmed. Nice going especially with only one summer of golf. Congrats!!!!!

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Oh, oh, A true golf addict is confirmed. Nice going especially with only one summer of golf. Congrats!!!!!

Thanks!
I am pretty happy with my progress, course I will probably let it inflate my head & go out & shoot a 55 tomorrow.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Oh, I can't tell you how many times I've been on the eighth or ninth tee, knowing that breaking 40 is within reach... only to fall apart on the last hole. (The one I play most often - The Willows - has a really brutal ninth hole, a long par 5. I can't tell you how many balls I've lost in the woods on the right trying to cut the corner and going over, or missing my second shot.) I come home with a 40, 41, or 42 most of the time.

I refuse to even eyeball my score, I don't want to know what I need in order to break a certain score.

And yea our 9th is a decent par 5 but not ultra long at 460 yds, but if you can carry it over the trees & cut the corner you can usually make it on the green..or at least damn close on your 2nd shot. I have gotten pretty good at carrying the trees, I think it helps that I have probably played that course 30 times at least this year.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Hey, WiGolfer.... Way to go!!!!:laugh::thumbs up: Amazing what you guys with a 60 day golf season can do. Just think what you could do if you could play 10-12 months of the year!! You'd be on tour!!!:laugh::laugh: Woops!! No, you couldn't make the tour, no matter how much you play, making nasty comments like you did in another thread about Pings!!!:laugh::laugh:

I keep thinking that when I win Powerball, I'll come to Wisconsin and give you Johnson's and Olsen's... all you cheese heads... lessons. But, with you shooting lights out and WBL surely to find the holy grail of clubs any day/month/year/decade... I'll get my butt handed to me!!!

Again... doesn't it feel good to really have one of those days???

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
limpalong, The Johnsons and Olsens are one state over in Miinnysoda, We are a bunch of _ _ _ _ski here.:laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I usually have one or two days like that per year but NOT this year. This year was one NOT to remember as far as scores go. Must be the Pings. (Hey, and I want my Slazengers back!!) :D

Don't feel bad man. It's been the same way for me but I certainly feel I'm headed in a positive direction. I've played nothing but tough courses off the tips for the most part this year though. I played a few easier ones and was low 80's like I should be though.

Great shooting there Wi-Golfer. Just goes to show what you can do when you can eliminate those big numbers. That's what I need to do, no more doubles. It's all mental for me, following up bad shots with bad decisions, getting pissed and not grinding out the bogey I need to stay low.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
limpalong, The Johnsons and Olsens are one state over in Miinnysoda, We are a bunch of _ _ _ _ski here.:laugh:

You all talk funny up there. :laugh::laugh: Sorry for the Johnson/Olsen comment. Probably an insult.

Wife has lots of relatives just west of the Twin Cities. Everytime we go up there or they come to visit us, she talks like you northerners for a month afterwards.

No matter the dialect... the Wisconsin/Minnesota/North Dakota folks are good people!!

🔥 Latest posts