• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3deg more bounce on sand wedge will I notice?

duckdive117

Mar 27, 2008
I have been using a mizuno 56 deg/13 deg bounce sand wedge, Im looking at getting a new wedge, the Callaway X series Jaws wedge. Were im going to buy it only has 56deg /16 deg bounce. I shoot in the mid 80s and I use my sand wedge for 95% of my shots around the greens, bunkers and I dont carry a lob wedge so I use it for flop shots as well. Short game is where I make up a good amount of shots and I feel its the strongest part of my game.
From what I understand the more bounce the easier it is to hit out of the sand thick grass and wet conditions, but it makes it more difficult to hit flop shots and off hard ground, fairways ect and it makes it easier to blade the ball.

The question is will I notice a big difference with 3 deg more of bounce or is it pretty minimal?

Thanks

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I've never owned a sand wedge with more than 14 degrees of bounce, and even that seemed like a lot. The two I use now are a Vokey 54° with 11° bounce and a CG15 56° with 10° bounce. That is enough to work well in any kind of sand, but also can be used for chipping and pitching from tight lies. My Cleveland CG15 56° is one of my favorite clubs for all sorts of greenside work.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
16 degrees of bounce sounds excessive. 10 - 12 degrees is normal where I come from. Unless you're playing golf in a marsh, I'd drop the idea.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
A significant amount of how to answer this question also depends on what kind of ball striker you are. In general terms, you can be a sweeper or you can be a digger. Also in general, a sweeper prefers less bounce, and a digger prefers more. A sweeper tends to naturally glide along a top layer of sand easier, and since they don't dig into the ground, they want less bounce to minimize skulls. A digger needs the bounce to help glide in the sand instead of digging deep into the sand, and since they strike downward on the ball, the bounce doesn't really enter into the picture. The last point there is actually pretty important, too -- namely how often do you hit fat shots where you hit the ground before you hit the ball? If you are very good about hitting the ball first, 3 degrees of bounce either way really isn't going to matter either way. Even opening the club up for flop shots, so long as you are hitting the ball first, the bounce isn't really going to matter.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Why buy a club that you're questioning? Don't buy the wrong wedge to save a few bucks. Go somewhere that has the one you can use.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
more bounce is usually helpful in fluffy sand and deep rough. less bounce is better if the sand is thin or hard/wet. This sandwedge might be perfect for you - I'd probably try it and also pick up a higher loft, low bounce lob wedge in case you need to hit a shot off a thin lie

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have never had a wedge that had more than 12* of bounce that I liked, 10*-12* seems ideal to me.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I have never had a wedge that had more than 12* of bounce that I liked, 10*-12* seems ideal to me.

aren't you also playing on new england courses that have giant pieces of granite 8 inches under the fairways and bunkers? :) different locations and swing styles can make more than 12* of bounce acceptable - it also gives you the chance to bend the loft strong and still have some bounce (if you wanted a 53* sandwedge with some bounce for example)

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
aren't you also playing on new england courses that have giant pieces of granite 8 inches under the fairways and bunkers? :) different locations and swing styles can make more than 12* of bounce acceptable - it also gives you the chance to bend the loft strong and still have some bounce (if you wanted a 53* sandwedge with some bounce for example)

Sometimes granite, but usually marble and slate!!! :) I know what your saying, that's why I said "ideal to me" I know there are a tone of factors and not the least being where the OP plays and types of courses.

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
If you have an old wedge around give this a try. take it to the grinder and grind the fat "bounce" part of the sole off at a steeper angle, leaving an approximately 1/3 inch on the sole plate. go to a practice facility with the wedge and try it out, it may be painful at first but stick with it, concentrate on a shorter back swing and full follow through to the hole, ounce you have gotten used to getting it out, you can tinker with it, place the ball further to the front foot and pick it out for high soft landings with lots of spin, or place it further back, around front/mid stance and blast it out for lower trajectory rolling shot, you can also open your stance and lay the blade wide open for much higher trajectory shot, in the bunker and around the green, I only carry 1 pitching wedge and 1 sand wedge and find this works great for me but initially requires a large amount of practice time. Here are some pictures of mine, not pretty but it works great, going to get a new one this season:wow:
<center>
ai119.photobucket.com_albums_o144_89M5_DSCN0747.jpg

ai119.photobucket.com_albums_o144_89M5_DSCN0748.jpg

ai119.photobucket.com_albums_o144_89M5_DSCN0749.jpg

ai119.photobucket.com_albums_o144_89M5_DSCN0751.jpg

</center>

🔥 Latest posts