• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3W helps driver?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Had another all over the place round today but finally took the cover off the TEE. I was 4/4 and not a whole lot shorter than my driver. The strange thing is I started hitting my driver a lot better after hitting the 3W a few times. Not sure exactly what did it but something got me hitting it straight again. The 17th hole was the one to keep me coming back. Hit the 3W with an absolutely roped slight draw (I call it stingdraw, get flatter on downswing) to 90yds. out, sitting on a little downslope, pin back. I hit my skip-stop with the 50* and it went about 9ft. off the ground and stuck to 2 ft. Felt really good to hit those 2 shots back to back.

I really should just put a CompNT in this driver.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
what is it with 3w's?! When I used to have one, I could smack the driver all over the course, everywhere but straight. Get the 3w out, and button it 260 dead straight. Get back on the driver and it goes again! Crazy huh!

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, the weather was supposed to be crappy today but looking good right now. Suppposed to get up to 49*. I'll be heading over to Triggs again I guess for my $20 special. I'm going to hit a lot more 3W's today.

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
I missed my oppertunity for a round yesterday.
It was sunny and in the mid sixties.

I screwed around all day with paperwork, then other stuff, I didn't make it out.

Today is raining and cold.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I almost feel obligated to play since I've got the day off and it's nice out. The swing is getting there and the short game is shaking the rust with every putt and chip.

Release

Mar 2, 2008
Have your driver fregency matched to your 3 wood since you hit it so well.
Sometimes, after you warmed up with your 3 wood, you'll have a more complete through motion with your driver.
Or you might just needed to warm up before the round.
Nice execution of your shots on the 17th.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Have your driver fregency matched to your 3 wood since you hit it so well.
Sometimes, after you warmed up with your 3 wood, you'll have a more complete through motion with your driver.
Or you might just needed to warm up before the round.
Nice execution of your shots on the 17th.

Thanks. I'm thinking of just sending both the 3W and Driver to Ken at Victorycustomgolf and having him just do whatever to the driver and bill me.
icon10.gif
I sort of got lucky with the 3W. I bought a CompNT for it, tipped it another 1/2 inch to a full 1" tip, then played it. Seemed a bit long at just over 43" so I cut it back to 42.5. Then it felt head light so I added about 4-5 g's of lead tape to the back of the head. Golden, feels perfect and smoking it. I tried it at an indoor facility and had an avg. SS of 105mph., with a 3W, not bad at all. I feel like I just swing a lot more "naturally" with it. When I hit driver I'm all thinking about setup and swing path, grip and shoulder angle, too much thinking involved and get the old "paralysis by analysis". A few 3W's and then the same swing with driver and I put it high, straight and deep, about a 1yd. draw. lol. Big difference from the pull, pull, rope pull, pull, shoulder drop block slice I'd hit with it to that point in the round.

Release

Mar 2, 2008
Definitely a keeper, I'd ask your friend Ken to figure out whatever you did into static numbers so you'll have a blue print for reference.
Nice to land on something you just love.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nothing could help today, lol. I'm back on my normal routine I guess. Decent ball striking round with horrid short game followed by a low round. Then I get worse the next round and then finally hack it all to hell. I kept making double after double today. Block, hook, block, hook. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.