• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4 Magic Moves Update

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
There are many different ways to get someone to swing a golf club, if WBL feels he needs to wear ice skates I say we should let him.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
hey wbl, how bout ya stop being so preachy without any evidence? post some up bud.:)

Sandpiper3

I'm going to be going to the "dome" to work on this all winter. Next spring I'll show you... :laugh:

There are many different ways to get someone to swing a golf club, if WBL feels he needs to wear ice skates I say we should let him.

Adam Pettman

At this point, if I thought it would help, I'd wear 'em!! :D

(Geesh. Buy some drivers and get blasted. Try to improve my swing and get blasted. I can't win in here... :D)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yes but trying to improve your swing using a proper technique and some practice is one thing,trying to use the occult and magic spells is another

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
This is not the occult or magic spells. It's legitimate. I'll show you next summer.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
That ice skater analogy was used in an old

Dave Stockton video. In that video, however, Stockton was talking about a swing based upon the big muscles being the point of emphasis in making a swing. When the arms stay close to the body when you turn, you are doing like the ice skater. When you concentrate on getting real wide going back, having your hands real high at the top, getting the club shaft all the way to parallel, and other such things, Stockton would argue that you are like an ice skater with the arms extended which slows things down. That makes some sense, but on the other hand, if you swing in such a way that the clubhead has farther to move, that too will produce greater clubhead speed. The longer the propeller on a plane the faster the tip will be traveling during each revolution.

I think the big muscle method is good because it seems easier to get the clubhead back to square consistently. Having said this, if you look at someone thinking core muscles and someone else thinking arm swing and clubhead, it may be impossible to tell the difference. If you see someone becoming disconnected (clubhead cover drops from arm-pit), you are probably watching someone with an arm-swing style.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Nobody's mentioned the magical 5th move.................when you take the book and toss it into the lake!!!!!! Just use the big muscles and keep it simple. :laugh:

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Yes but trying to improve your swing using a proper technique and some practice is one thing,trying to use the occult and magic spells is another

I just choked on my cheerios. That was f'ing hilarious.

jambalaya

Geaux Tigers
Aug 6, 2007
Stop thinking and just hit the damn ball.

Yeah, that works. That is what I always say just before I start the drive into work. Whatever works, well, works. Stick with your plan warbirdlover, it may not be the final answer but you will learn a lot about the swing which is always good.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Country
First: No one ever

picked up a club and just went up and hit the ball well. The golf swing can be simplified, but it is still a fairly complicated thing to do. You have to have an idea about what you are doing, and good instruction really has no substitute. From there you still have some "digging in the dirt" to find your game.

Second: No one ever did very well at golf who takes forever to figure out what they are going to do, and then stands over the ball for ever with all that stuff running through their minds. I get tension right now just thinking about some of the people I know who fit this category. I can fully understand why someone might advise these folks to "just hit the %#@#@#$@#@ ball!"

A good instructor is a great starting point to become good at this game. Ask this instructor what books would give you a fuller understanding of his golf philosophy, especially concerning the swing. Next, get his input on what equipment would be best for you, and then go to a competent club fitter. Next, practice on a regular basis in a very purposeful manner. When you go to the course, learn to play without thinking about all the many things you have practiced. Go through a systematic evaluation of the shot, do your pre-shot routine, address the ball and pull the trigger.

Cypressperch

utahgolf

Just Getting Started
Nov 4, 2007
Northern Utah
Country
picked up a club and just went up and hit the ball well. The golf swing can be simplified, but it is still a fairly complicated thing to do. You have to have an idea about what you are doing, and good instruction really has no substitute. From there you still have some "digging in the dirt" to find your game.

Second: No one ever did very well at golf who takes forever to figure out what they are going to do, and then stands over the ball for ever with all that stuff running through their minds. I get tension right now just thinking about some of the people I know who fit this category. I can fully understand why someone might advise these folks to "just hit the %#@#@#$@#@ ball!"

A good instructor is a great starting point to become good at this game. Ask this instructor what books would give you a fuller understanding of his golf philosophy, especially concerning the swing. Next, get his input on what equipment would be best for you, and then go to a competent club fitter. Next, practice on a regular basis in a very purposeful manner. When you go to the course, learn to play without thinking about all the many things you have practiced. Go through a systematic evaluation of the shot, do your pre-shot routine, address the ball and pull the trigger.

Cypressperch

I agree on not taking time to let you psych yourself out over a shot. Evaluate the shot, start your routine, get up to the ball, and go is really good advice. Learning about the golf swing, then trying to apply it to your own game really does make you better in all aspects of the game.

jambalaya

Geaux Tigers
Aug 6, 2007
Of course one is going to be thinking of a lot of things when working on their game. Yes, thinking too much over the shot is part of it, at least at first. First comes the mechanical, and thinking which with practice becomes automatic and "natural". All this talk about "just get up there and hit it" is bull. You'll find that most people who say "don't think so much" have gone through the same thing as warbirdlover more or less if they get serious about practicing and improving their swing.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Country
It seems like a number of us are on the same page

about these things. At sometime, you have to study and learn about what to do, then you practice until it becomes natural, then on the course you just do it.

But there is still something else to consider a bit. I have been playing golf for over fifty years. You would think by now that I would have figured out how I am going to swing the club, play the course, etc, etc. That is not the case, and fairly recently I wrote about going through a sort of improvement program. Why? Well, we read golf books, watch Golf Channel, read GD and other stuff, and we get new ideas. Along with this, we probably have not got a good as we would like to be, so the question is always popping up, "Could I improve if I incorporated some of this new stuff in my game?" The answer is quite often, "Yes." And now, if we are not careful, we find ourselves on the course with thoughts in our heads that really belong on the range.

I sincerely believe that the best rounds we can have are when we find ourselves in such a state of mind that we go around the course picking targets and hitting at them with little or no other concerns. Look at the shot, pre-shot routine, address ball, swing at the target. Go to the next shot and repeat the process. After the round, total the score and be both amazed and delighted.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
(Geesh. Buy some drivers and get blasted. Try to improve my swing and get blasted. I can't win in here... :D

You love it.
icon12.gif

jambalaya

Geaux Tigers
Aug 6, 2007
about these things. At sometime, you have to study and learn about what to do, then you practice until it becomes natural, then on the course you just do it.

But there is still something else to consider a bit. I have been playing golf for over fifty years. You would think by now that I would have figured out how I am going to swing the club, play the course, etc, etc. That is not the case, and fairly recently I wrote about going through a sort of improvement program. Why? Well, we read golf books, watch Golf Channel, read GD and other stuff, and we get new ideas. Along with this, we probably have not got a good as we would like to be, so the question is always popping up, "Could I improve if I incorporated some of this new stuff in my game?" The answer is quite often, "Yes." And now, if we are not careful, we find ourselves on the course with thoughts in our heads that really belong on the range.

I sincerely believe that the best rounds we can have are when we find ourselves in such a state of mind that we go around the course picking targets and hitting at them with little or no other concerns. Look at the shot, pre-shot routine, address ball, swing at the target. Go to the next shot and repeat the process. After the round, total the score and be both amazed and delighted.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Excellent thoughts. If only we could get those swing thoughts our of our head during a period where we are working on our game a lot. I think the term "building a golf swing" is so appropriate. One brick at a time. Grip, setup, posture, plane, hinges, hips, shoulders, wrists, etc. If you think of too many of these things ant one time the swing is impossible. As I look back at what I have been doing in the last five years I am thinking a lot less these days but I had to go through the effort of studying and building the swing.

🔥 Latest posts