• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4 Things You Need To Do To Improve Your Golf Game...

Hawkeye

Golf is where it's at!
Aug 27, 2005
Fellow Grass Addicts,

My golf buddies are jealous of me and have nick named Mr Thinks He's Cool because of how I can keep calm and collected after missing a few good shots. They want to know how I do it... how do I keep my cool? I won't tell them, but I'll tell you.

It's a mindset thing. It's the first - and most importantly - the only thing you have 100% control over is your midset. Stay positive, concentrate on what's ahead, not what's behind. Now some bad shots you will always make, but forgetting them quickly and using imagery to visualize the great shots ahead sets you apart from those who stay far too long in a negative zone.

Keeping these 4 things in mind really helps.

#1 PLAY THE SHOT THAT NEEDS TO BE PLAYED... NOT THE ONE YOU WANT TO PLAY:

You will lower your scores when you begin playing the BEST shot instead of the shot you want to hit. Hitting the shot you want to hit is not always the BEST shot to hit at the time. Play the percentages. Play the correct shot even if you want to go for the risky or low percentage shot.

#2 KEEP IT SIMPLE:

Simplify your round by thinking fairways and greens. It doesn't matter whether you are a 30, 15 or 5 handicap. Hit the shots you are capable of hitting and no more!

How can you simplify your round? Easy. Focus on process versus outcome. Process thinking is focusing on what you have 100 control over; at all times. Focus on your routines, your breathing, your pace between shots, visualization, rhythm and balance in your set up and swing. You have complete control over ALL of these things.

You don't have control over things like conditions, course layout, playing partners attitudes, score or any other outcome or result type of thought. Once again... always FOCUS on what you can control.

#3 PRACTICE YOUR SHORT GAME:

It's important to spend time on your short game skills. The tendency is to go to the range, hit the driver and other irons, and then call it a day. Take a close look and you might find that chipping, pitching and putting is where your strokes add up during a round.

Imagine what your scores would be like if you learned to chip and pitch the ball closer to the hole? You can lower your scores by taking the time to practice chipping and pitching the ball closer to the hole. The more you do it, the more confidence you gain as well. In addition, your putting can improve because of the confidence gained by getting closer to the hole more often.

Great players spend a lot of time on this part of their game because they understand that this is where their strokes can add up.

#4 Know Your Game

Do you have a solid understanding of your game's strength and weaknesses? If not you're probably spending much too much time on the areas of your game that don't profit your overall performance.
Many top tour players now utilize performance software to track, manage and analyze their performance and help keep their handicap low. You should as well and best of all it's a lot simpler than you might imagine. To learn more, check out www.golfintel.com

Change your mindset. Change your game!

Best of luck,
PJ

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
www.Golfintel.com said:
Fellow Grass Addicts,

My golf buddies are jealous of me and have nick named Mr Thinks He's Cool because of how I can keep calm and collected after missing a few good shots. They want to know how I do it... how do I keep my cool? I won't tell them, but I'll tell you.

Firstly, I object to you assuming we are all on grass. Sure, there's Rock and maybe Sling, but we are not all junkies.

Secondy, i'm going to tell your "golf buddies" about your system.

So where you left?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Buy any Rotella book and find those 4 things plus many others

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Lol he thinks its safe here.

Ed this board has a lot of Yankees..and having been married to one for most of 20 years I can say without reservation that they feel its an obligation to jump on your head and dance when you do something dumb.

Edward Byrne

Jul 30, 2013
Zimbabwe
Country
Zimbabwe Zimbabwe
TP, jump on a plane with your Yankee buddies, fly about 15000 miles out here and come and dance on my head if thats whats required, then we can play some golf.

Gotta go now, this threads too old.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
I would love to go play in some other countries. And head dancing may not be required...I realized later I was probably just describing women.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.