• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4 wood -> better than 3?

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Update: the teaching pro has recommended that I definitely get a 3 wood. He advised that I'd probably struggle for distance with a 4 wood at times & try and belt it too hard to make up for it.

I'm very happy with my G10 make up of woods, so the choice will be to eithr (1) grab a 15.5 degree G10 3 wood (Ping are running them out) or (2) grab a new G15 3 wood (which may look like an adopted child sitting amongst the G10s in the bag). The price for either is roughly the same at the moment.

I'm demoing a G15 3 wood on Friday, so I'll post the results.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Update: the teaching pro has recommended that I definitely get a 3 wood. He advised that I'd probably struggle for distance with a 4 wood at times & try and belt it too hard to make up for it.

I'm very happy with my G10 make up of woods, so the choice will be to eithr (1) grab a 15.5 degree G10 3 wood (Ping are running them out) or (2) grab a new G15 3 wood (which may look like an adopted child sitting amongst the G10s in the bag). The price for either is roughly the same at the moment.

I'm demoing a G15 3 wood on Friday, so I'll post the results.

Good luck with it True. Pretty sure you'll love it or loathe it. I've found that there is no middle ground with Ping woods.

Fortunately for my soul I'm on the loathe side.... :emot-ange

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
I've got a 7 wood Maltby, its actually listed as a 21º, an old CT250 head, has a NV shaft in it. I can hit it off the deck like a champ, and off the tee its good for 225 yards and almost automatically in the fairway! I've probably got 20 USD's tied up in it, and its the most reliable club in my bag.

Just goes to show, you never know? It was the 1st club I ever built, just for $hits and giggles, practice. It sat against the wall forever, then one day I threw it in the bag figuring, WTF, why not?

It'll never come out now!

I have a similar story, so recently when i was approach with a trade for a nearly new CT250 5 & 7 wood in a straight across trade for two used maltby wedges. I gladly accepted, knowing that the driver was my gamer. So long story short, I hit the 5 wood for the first time on Friday and hit it a power fade 240 yard off the tee. So to bringing it back to the original topic, you could even go to a 18* 5 wood and still be long and straight.

🔥 Latest posts